Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #736
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevChris View Post
...I met four riders in Cartwright this morning, and they started out from Goose Bay as 12 riders. That rattled me a bit, but the tough sections are where the grader has just been through, and those things are pretty easy to spot.
interesting that you went into Cartwright, very few do these days since the last TLH section was completed. i rode there in the dark last season, don't recommend doing that.

what happened with the other 8 riders? highest attrition i've ever heard.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #737
RevChris
Merchant of Chaos

Oddometer: 105
Yeah, jdrocks. Very few people go to Cartwright at all now. I'm glad I did it, though. You can see pictures/read my impressions here: www.thegreataukhunt.blogspot.com.

The group I met in Cartwright (and then again here in Goose Bay) had two riders go down, one broke a rib and punctured his lung, the other hit his head hard enough to crack his helmet and is being kept in the hospital for observation. The rest of them turned back, I think. There's one guy who's continuing on today.

Rob Harris and his friend Jim, whom I met on the ferry, were testing a bike on the Trans Lab, and their trip ended early as well:

http://cmgonline.com/news/2011/07/26...%28CMG+News%29

Ah, well. Let's not dwell on it. If there's a good place to get KLR tires over on the Quebec/Montreal/Toronto side, I may be in need at that point.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #738
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevChris View Post
I met four riders in Cartwright this morning, and they started out from Goose Bay as 12 riders.

What happened to the other 8? Did they really all crash, or did they just skip the ride up to Cartwright and go on to Port Hope Simpson instead?

EDIT: Never mind, you answered at the same time I posted. Let's hope the riders heal up quick!

Happen to know what sort of bikes/tires they were on? (Ie, ADV bikes with knobbies, or were they trying to do the trip on street bikes with street tires?)

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #739
RevChris
Merchant of Chaos

Oddometer: 105
I can't say for certain, because they aren't here, but I believe they were on DR400's or similar, with knobbies, like the rest of their group.

Apparently they both had quite a bit of off-road experience as well. I don't think the dirt tires are much better than my Mefo's for this stuff. It's just a little skittish, regardless. The South African I met on the ferry is cruising right through with his worn-ass Tourances. It really seems to be just a matter of picking the right line. If you get caught in the places where the gravel heaps up a bit after the grader, it's easy to lose the front crossing the heaps. There's usually a small path with less gravel, though.

I've fishtailed alarmingly a few times, and accelerated out of a bit of a tank-slapper once, but no get-offs. I'm probably making it sound bad, but it's been a blast. Just a little disconcerting with all these accidents around me. Keep in mind, my off-road experience is next to nothing, so what's alarming to me might not be to someone else. I'm able to maintain the speed limit (~45 mph) to as high as 60 mph, for the most part, sometimes a little slower. If I wasn't stopping every five feet to take pictures, I'd be making great time.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #740
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Thanks Rev for the true info on the road, I bet the ones who came off weren't paying attention to the road surface changes and paid the price. Or, doing the watch this vid clip while riding with one hand at speed holding the camera with the other. The surface sounds much the same as the Dempster, not too bad until you meet the dredded yellow machine the grader making life almost impossible for bikes. It's too bad about the fallen riders all the same and hope they heal fast.
Can't wait for our departure on the 6th...
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #741
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
damn...he had front and rear knobbies too....

inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #742
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
Skill and brains are still required.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #743
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Skill and brains are still required.
Why are you stacking the deck against me?
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #744
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:

why all the carnage? road looks typical of many TLH sections and should be easy on that bike with the TKCs. the TLH is in much better shape than most of the big gravel roads across the north. wrecked less than 150 miles into the gravel, reminds me of markbvt's friend who also wrecked on the first day riding the same bike, but coming from the other direction.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #745
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,561
That almost looks like the road into my cabin (my road is a lot steeper) and not nearly as bad as my driveway!

Right Lance? OMG?

And I run that on street tires.

One possibility - his companions may be much better dirt/gravel riders and he was going too fast for his skill level trying to keep up.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #746
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
That almost looks like the road into my cabin (my road is a lot steeper) and not nearly as bad as my driveway!

Right Lance? OMG?

And I run that on street tires.

One possibility - his companions may be much better dirt/gravel riders and he was going too fast for his skill level trying to keep up.
that steep hill and your driveway are a lot worse!!
i was going about 10 mph when i was on it, though.

you should make a sticker: "This bike climbed Mt. Washington Mike's driveway."
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #747
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
That almost looks like the road into my cabin...

nah, the TLH is in much better shape than your road.

the bike in the photo was one of a two rider trip and in the lead, not following. your point is well made, and makes me wonder about the circumstances in that group of 12.

this road is similar to the others in that tracks get worn through the aggregate and expose the hardpacked and smooth subgrade. the aggregate windrows alongside the pairs of tracks in each direction. the tracks can make for some decent speeds, but if you wander off your line or are forced off by passing traffic...into the marbles you go.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #748
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,071
Quote:
that steep hill and your driveway are a lot worse!!

I agree, here are the shots leaving Mike's place April 4, 2010

REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #749
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,917
Quote:

I thought I was being a wimp when I hit it with BB.

The road into Mikes (not the last 200 feet) was in similar shape to the roads in Death Valley.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #750
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,561
My friend Kevin was concerned about me riding the Beemer on the gravel with the street tires and I told him that the only difference between the the Beemer and my SuperMoto was gearing. Otherwise they both handled the same in the marbles.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote