Maybe try this linky...

http://www.adultswim.co.uk/videos/ro...-quicksand#top
Old 07-30-2011, 04:25 AM   #767
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
The most important thing to remember about the TLH is to never let your attention wander. You have to be focused on your riding at all times and keep your eyes well ahead to pick your line. And if you don't already know how to read the road surface ahead, you will quickly learn.

--mark

I got back from my CCW trip on Tue.
This is great advice for those not familiar with riding on gravel roads.
The second I tried to look around, the bars would wobble and get 100% of my attention again.
The TLH is quite the adventure. It can be a little bit monotonous at times but there is always a payoff.
The views are fantastic and the feeling of isolation is wonderful, at times.
I rode from 7:00am till about 8:00pm and averaged 100kph most of the time.

As far as bears go, yes, they are there.

This little guy was less than a km from where I was camped.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 AM   #768
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Km....sm.kmer....I bet he peed on your tent while you were sleeping for all you know!......lol.

Plus, you got to stop crossing the yellow line when the paint is wet ....eh.....lol

Nice cans by the way......got's me a set too. love'em! Totally indestructable and light.

Looks like a definate set of tacks in the gravel to easily ride on as usual......I hope most of the road is like that......except where the yellow deamon has been.....augh.....can't wait......the countdown has started........6 days and counting.....we better be sitting on our bike by this time next week!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #769
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,686
Leaving in two weeks and going CW.... Starting to get really excited about the trip and three weeks away from work isn't bad either!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #770
BluenoseGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
OK, here's my bear story:

When I did the TLH last month, I stayed a night with my daughter's inlaws in Goose Bay. I was mentioning that my wife was concerned that a bear might make a snack out of me and I responded that these were black bears - they only liked to eat berries and bushes. The husband told my that the previous evening a co-worker was driving just outside the town when a large moose came running out of the woods and crossed the road right in front of him. Not unusual. Behind the moose were two calf moose, probably born this year. A bear came out of the woods chasing all three. The bear caught the last calf, took her down and started to eat her right In front of the car. So much for my theory!
BluenoseGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #771
RevChris
Merchant of Chaos

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
Can you re post the link? love the drama.
Stalkers.

Yeah, I didn't make it very far yesterday. Partly because I had to stop at Muskrat Falls, but partly because I got just out of town when my engine started surging oddly. Pulled over, checked things over, nothing odd. Pulled over again and noticed my front engine mount bolt was missing its nut. It was just loose in there.

Learned some things: the Ace Hardware in Goose Bay isn't very helpful. No metric fasteners, despite EVERYTHING IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY being metric. Also, they had no 9/16 wrenches when I did get the bolt. So after some bodging about in their parking lot, I got things back together. Had to buy a C-clamp as well to force the crash bars back into place. I must have tweaked them when I used them as tie-down points on the ferry. Probably a bad idea.

The road from Goose Bay to Churchill Falls, which is a weird indoor science-fiction town, was much better than the road from Cartwright to Goose Bay. This was more of a regular gravel road. That other shit's like a whole road of finding gravel in a corner. I'm not sure if that's because of the graders, the rain (it rained today) or what, but it's a different animal.

Seriously, I don't mean to harp on this, but I have a lot of time to think about it. Imagine an elevated concrete road, with a single layer of gravel across it. When the gravel's been pushed away by traffic, there are paths through it, but sometimes as you're following a path it wanders over to the wrong side of the road or something, forcing you to cross the zone of death to get out of the way of oncoming traffic. It really does require you're entire attention, so for all I know there are bears juggling icebergs on caribou-back lining the highway from Red Bay onward.

Oh, before I forget-- two good campsites west of Goose Bay. If you're headed east, the first one is Gull Island. There's a sign, and it'll be on the right. Take the long dirt road past the ruts where I dropped my bike, and hang a left when you see the orange ribbons. Go down the hill to the beach. Camp there.

Alternately, take a right to Muskrat Falls a little further on. Go straight at the four way intersection to the lookout point and camp, or take a right toward the hiking trail to the falls (have a look, they won't be there long). There's also an Innu camp off to the left of the lookout if you follow the trail by the memorial. I camped there, but it'll be occupied around August 17 or shortly thereafter.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #772
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,330
Just got back in, what a great trip! Lighting strikes a mere 100 feet from us while riding up to Manic 5, tours of Manic 5 and Church Hill, met cool people, camped in a garage of a gracious local near L'anse Meadows same guy fed us breakfast and took us out on his boat to see the icebergs, the run through the TLH was great, some of it hard and adventurous, some of it just fast rips over the gravel. Lots of amazing vistas. Landed in ND and had more of the same went for the zip line ride at Marble Mountain and spent a couple of days in Burgeo during the sun and sea festival, amazing place and I highly highly recommend it. More to follow when I get some rest and get it all pulled together.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #773
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Lots of amazing vistas. Landed in ND and had more of the same went for the zip line ride at Marble Mountain and spent a couple of days in Burgeo during the sun and sea festival, amazing place and I highly highly recommend it.
Thanks for the feedback! I am going to have to do some more research to figure out where Marble Mountain is so I can do the zip line...sounds like fun!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #774
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,330
Marble is by Corner Brook, zip line was good fun, 2nd largest in Canada. the first being in Whistler, although I don't know how there validate largest ( long runs or height of the wire or number of runs??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I am going to have to do some more research to figure out where Marble Mountain is so I can do the zip line...sounds like fun!
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #775
Speed3
Aangenaam verdoofd

Oddometer: 449
Just finished putting the Cagiva Gran Canyon back together. Still have to finish my friends KLR. I can almost feel Labrador. 5 more weeks and off we go. We will be doing the TLH clockwise, taking the relais Nordic ferry from Blanc Sablon to Natasquanthen from there over to the Route Du Nord in Quebec and down again to get home.
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #776
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
photo op.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dildo,_...d_and_Labrador
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #777
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,013
Well if weird signs are your gig, then the second destination of this sign is for you. It's not so much as the name "dark tickle", but the graphic they chose is perhaps a bit awkward too..

Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 AM   #778
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevChris View Post
Stalkers.

Learned some things: the Ace Hardware in Goose Bay isn't very helpful. No metric fasteners, despite EVERYTHING IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY being metric. Also, they had no 9/16 wrenches when I did get the bolt. So after some bodging about in their parking lot, I got things back together. Had to buy a C-clamp as well to force the crash bars back into place. I must have tweaked them when I used them as tie-down points on the ferry. Probably a bad idea.
Thanks for sharing... good stuff for us TLH virgins.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #779
Hulked Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Thumb

I'm getting excited reading these reports from the road and from the returning veterans.

I set up a blog to detail my trip planning/prep and will update it from the road once I leave on 8/19.

http://labrador2011.blogspot.com/
Hulked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #780
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulked Up View Post
I'm getting excited reading these reports from the road and from the returning veterans.

I set up a blog to detail my trip planning/prep and will update it from the road once I leave on 8/19.

http://labrador2011.blogspot.com/
I like your trip map through Maine, looks like mostly back roads. West Forks, Jackman, Moosehead, Golden Road (dirt), through Millinocket is a great trip. If you want some suggestions... let me know. I ridden every road in Maine North of Augusta.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote