Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #811
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Jdrocks,

Don't know but my riding buddy spoke to him in Lab City the other night. He was about 30 minutes behind us on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
The driver of a motorcycle is dead following an accident on the Churchill Falls Labrador Highway Wednesday morning.

According to the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, a collision involving a motorcycle and a bicycle occurred at the 170 kilometre highway marker.

The cyclist was taken to hospital in Churchill Falls and was later released. The driver of the motorcycle was pronounced dead at the scene of the collision. The driver was the lone occupant of the motorcycle.

The RNC responded to the accident at approximately 10:30 a.m.

The highway was closed for several hours to allow accident investigation and forensic identification officers to conduct an investigation into the accident.

The RNC has not released the name of the deceased.

RNC Labrador West is asking anyone with information regarding the incident to contact them at (709) 944-7601
From this link: http://www.ridetherock.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7787
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #812
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,334
Quote:
HELP NEEDED!

I blew my rear TKC just 16 km from Blanc Sablon. No issues stopping, but now I need to source a tire to get me home. The sidewall is completely gone.

PM me if you can help
These are about 3-4 hrs south of the ferry (maybe they can ship or deliver?)

Western Motor Sports (formerly Snow & Water Sports)
http://www.western-motorsports.ca
29 Maple Valley Road
Corner Brook, NL
A2H 6T2
Phone: (709)-634-3526
Fax: (709)-634-3427
Monday
8am - 5pm
Tuesday
8am - 5pm
Wednesday
8am - 5pm
Thursday
8am - 5pm
Friday
8am - 5pm

3) Central Service Station in St. Georges on the west coast by Stephenville (KTM)
http://www.centralserviceonline.com/
137 MAIN STREET
ST GEORGE'S, NL A0N1Z0
Phone: (709) 647-3501
Fax: (709) 647-3040

Deer Lake
Home Hardware church street
635-3313
they are a used bike dealer

Rapid power sports
kawasaki dealer
little rapids
639-1695

and a little farther in Corner brook
Rugged edge
1-877-781-3343
Twin peaks
634-5984

Simmonds Honda 1-709-256-3415 ask for Dave Noel

Sharron's Sales And Service Limited

27 Lincoln Rd, Grand Falls-Windsor, NL A2A 1M7 709-489-7772
Old 08-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #813
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I carry an industrial sewing kit that you use manually for just that reason, a sidewall blowout or tear. It might help to get you to the nearest location to get help? Luckily I haven't had to use it yet and really don't want to!

Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #814
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
Anyone know if the rider who died near the 170km mm was an ADV inmate?

Whoa, what? Is there any more info on this?

Edit: from the Ride the Rock thread:
"The bicyclist is sore and possible back injuries with pain/numbness down his leg. he told me this morning that he was riding down the hardpack when a truck was coming the other way he moved to the edge of the road and the motorbike struck him on the inside. He was not aware of the motorbike and wondered why the guy was passing on the inside. Perhaps to get away from the big truck??? He bounced into the rocks where he was breathing for twenty minutes and CPR was administered for another hour before the ambulance got there but was pronounced at the scene."

Damn, that's awful. RIP unknown rider.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #815
RevChris
Merchant of Chaos

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Jdrocks,

Don't know but my riding buddy spoke to him in Lab City the other night. He was about 30 minutes behind us on the road.

More here [link].

Was he riding a BMW 1200 GS (or something similar, my BMW knowledge is sketchy)? I think I spoke to him at the Motel de L'energie near Manic-5, or at least it looks like him. Nice guy, said something about owning a shop, but didn't specify. The guy I spoke to had ten days free and was going to head to Blanc Sablon and back. He had done it at least once before, maybe several times. I think he said he was at the recent Bob's BMW Rally.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #816
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
RIP to the rider.
Hope the bicyclist recovers well.
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #817
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,860
The rider was Duc Dufour, owned the big HD dealer in Montreal, very well known guy up there. Hit the bicycle in zero viz dust from a passing truck. Reported to have ridden the TLH previously.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #818
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Damned shame about the rider.....Yes everyone is allowed to use this road but concidering the dangers in doing so why would you ride a bicycle across it? Yes I know that all bicylists will jump up and say the same reason we ride motorcycles across it......but....think about it, who usually wins in a incident like this.....the heavier vehicle and not usually the lighter one. It should be concidered the same as the 401 and such highways where pedestians and bicycles are prohibited on them for their safety, but that will never happen as it is the only way for anyone to get from point A to point B.
Again.....thoughts go out to both families but more so to the biker's as they have suffered the ulitmate loss.

I start out tomorrow for my adventure with 4 other guys all on KLRs......I have now renamed the highway Canada's "Road O Bones"....Hope to have a safe trip with no incedents such as many have had this season.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #819
RevChris
Merchant of Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
why would you ride a bicycle across it? Yes I know that all bicylists will jump up and say the same reason we ride motorcycles across it......but....think about it, who usually wins in a incident like this.....the heavier vehicle and not usually the lighter one.
I would agree with the bicyclists saying that. I'm sure the truckers would agree with you, regarding motorcyclists.

I'm surprised Dufour didn't pull over as the truck passed, although sometimes that's not immediately possible. I think we even talked about that (trucks are a pretty common point of conversation up that way). I got the same advice from a trucker-- pull over when you see them. I'm sure it freaks them out a bit to worry about running you down, and some of them even slow down as they approach (some of them).
Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #820
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Not to start a international incident here...but it just occurrec to me....I wonder which line the bicylist was using? Maybe he was in the one closer to the centre of the road as it had less gravel in it making it easier for him to peddle through? That would explain why the guy on the motorcycle was intending to past on the inside? Perhaps that is what happened, but we will never know as the only one who saw the whole thing unfold would be the truck driver and I haven't read anything from his perspective yet.
Then again.....maybe it was just shit luck that they all were at the same location at the same time and shit happened.....who knows?
OR....the motorcyclist was traveling in the centre or far left lane so to speak and saw that he had enough room to pass the bicyclist and was forced into the same path used by the bicylist by the truck...another good possibility. And I bet the correct one......?????
Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #821
RevChris
Merchant of Chaos

The account I read said it happened in the dust thrown up by a truck. That's some thick dust. He may not have known there was a bicyclist until it was too late.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #822
willys
Beastly Adventurer

A tragedy no matter how you look at it for sure....I think it will make me think more than twice when I see a truck coming the other way!!! Not to mention....keeping an eye out for them pesky bicycles....
Old 08-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #823
Ro4mer
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Chat with the cyclist

I saw the cyclist in Churchill Falls on the day of the accident but didn't know anything had happened at that point. I was heading West into CF on the same day so the crash was on the other side of town.

The guy on reception in the motel told me about it the next morning, so I had a brief chat with the cyclist. He was still very sore physically and looked shook up mentally. He said that he hadn't even known there was a motorcyclist until he was hit from behind. He fell left onto the road, and the motorcyclist went right off the road and hit the only pile of rocks for 100 metres in any direction.

At that point all I knew was the the motorcyclist was from Quebec. The cyclist said he was going to try to get his bike fixed, the forks i think had buckled, and hitch to Goose Bay and rest up for a week. He mentioned his parents where in Ohio, but i didn't feel like pressing him for any other information.

I arrived in Baie Comeau this evening after completing the TLH on a Magna V45 with street tyres. I wouldn't do it like that again.

Euan
Ro4mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #824
Balthazard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I completed the TLH 3 weeks ago on a GSA. To Reduce risk with trucks, i did most of the road during the week end. Still i faced trucks in many occasions with limited space on my side. With time I decide to ride far from the middle of the road at all time.
Balthazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #825
RevChris
Merchant of Chaos

The section from Manic-5 to Lab City was the worst for trucks when I was there last week. There are a lot of prefab houses going to Lab City, creating backups, and probably supplies going there as well. There's something of a mining boom going on. I didn't see nearly as many trucks on the other parts of the road.