Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2010, 04:56 AM   #76
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Also on the west side coast of NFLD, check out the little town of Lark Harbour, keep going to the end of the road right to the tip and there is a little cove called Bottle Bay IIRC there is a short trek or climb along the tip and up onto a bluff....it is a fantastic lookout to sit and ponder....excellent!
Also...St Anthony has it's share of little plaes to sit and see the waves crashing in if the sea is a bit uneasy.
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #77
FJR_ski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Thank you. I just added all the locations to my Garmin.
FJR_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #78
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,678
Attendees list updated, page 1

Attendees list has been updated..thanks for the information!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #79
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

More updates

Figured out my technical issue so more updates on Fuel, Lodging, and Ferry costs.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #80
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Need feedback

OK, I have added a fair amount of information to date, but what I need to know is what am I missing, besides the route map, or what questions do you have that I don't have information to answer/support? I figure if one person wants to know others probably do as well. Thanks again!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #81
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,437
Bruce,
A couple of things come to mind:
At least one individual should have a siphon. It will make transferring gas from one bike to another much easier. I know it shouldn't happen, but it will.

As we get closer to departure we should think about people pairing up to share tents and cooking gear the same way backpackers do. Spreading the weight around will make for a much more pleasant ride.

The same thing can be said for tire repair kits. One good pump among a couple of riders may well beat several cheap pumps. Same thing for big tire irons, rim protectors and a bead breakers.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #82
Backlash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Items on board

I have a siphon with an in-line plastic pump--light and compact

Tire repair items I carry are a reamer, insertion tool, glue, worms, small & large patches for a larger hole, 19" front-17" rear tube, spare valve & valve stems, sewing awl with kevlar thread for a bigger tire cut to keep the tube in, 0-4" C-clamp to break the bead, soap, 22mm hex axle tool and a 12V Slime pump.

For spares I carry one each of the bulbs, fuses for the Zumo, spark plugs, rear brake pads, tools not in the BMW kit (which is a lot), oil filter tool, spoke wrench, wire ties, etc.

For a tent I use a Eureka Timberline 2 man but with one person and your gear bag, jacket, pants, boots and helmet it is about right. Plastic ground sheet and down bag (because it packs better in a compression stuff sack) and closed cell foam pad.

For cooking I use an MSR stove with a couple pots and pans, utensils, and a measuring cup for measuring and drinking about anything.

I keep either a Judge 45 Colt/410 or a 44 Mag S&W 8 3/8" handy when needed south of the border or bear spray for Canada and Yukon.

Hey Willys--I thought you would be following this thread so I thought I would let you know-- rumer has it a large tour contingent of bicyclists will be on the gravel the same time frame as your trip.
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #83
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Damn!!!!

Trying to get me banned again...???? lol

Hmmm...????? Now I need to carry .....well....I'll keep that to myself....lol

Wonder what's on TV tonight....maybe a repeat...of....M.....lol
Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #84
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Bruce,
A couple of things come to mind:
At least one individual should have a siphon. It will make transferring gas from one bike to another much easier. I know it shouldn't happen, but it will.

As we get closer to departure we should think about people pairing up to share tents and cooking gear the same way backpackers do. Spreading the weight around will make for a much more pleasant ride.

The same thing can be said for tire repair kits. One good pump among a couple of riders may well beat several cheap pumps. Same thing for big tire irons, rim protectors and a bead breakers.

I will definitely be carrying a siphon since I am quite sure Dorito will need it. Something about my bike being the tanker and then there's the part about it being a pack mule for carrying the tent, cook gear, tire repair, and pump. Hey...this doesn't sound like spreading the weight around at all! OK I think I have already been paired up.

Good idea about spreading the stuff around if possible!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #85
willys
Beastly Adventurer

I have a system......and it probably won't go down well with some...but....I ask all I travel with when going on a trip to be self sufficient. That means everything you think you will need to get from point A to point B and home again. I say this only because if one person carries a specific item that more than himself will need lets say, and he for some unforeseen reason needs to head home early or has a reason to split from the group, he isn't disabling the rest of the group by leaving.
Yes I know it seems silly to each carry a siphon if everyone won't require it, but if you do think you will require the need for one, then take one. It isn't asking much, is it? This goes for everything needed on a trip. That way...when the unforeseen happens, it doesn't make the trip difficult or unpleasant for the rest.

I know it sounds selfish or redundant, but it has worked out well in the past and has been proven to be an issue on one of the first trips I had taken.....we shared a stove, we split and one of us needed to buy a stove.....a waste when that person had a stove already at home they could have taken to use if needed.

Sorry to go on about it.....but it is a system that works well and makes people think about everything possible that they will need to take and for what reason. It also forces you to pack efficiently.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #86
blaster11 OP
Ecuador here we come

You make a good point but in my case the other rider happens to be my wife so not likely to happen, notice I didn't say impossible.

Definitely food for thought though.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #87
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Assuming the schedule works out, with the sidecar I plan on "luxury" camping. I'll probably be traveling heavy. Might have room for communal items if we go that route.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 AM   #88
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
....I ask all I travel with when going on a trip to be self sufficient...
good, all riders/bikes need to be able to move independently. it's impossible to game all the scenarios, so let's say events can and will happen. when each rider and bike is properly outfitted, this contingency planning allows you to deal efficiently with the broadest range of events.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #89
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,697
Thinking about an epic ride 2011..............
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #90
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,920
not to scare anyone bt is of interest to everyone who does this ride - gives added truth to the need for knobbies

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/po...sCRSH-lyt.html
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is online now   Reply With Quote