Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #106
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,863
when they say "the big land" in reference to labrador, i think of this road.

i got caught out there after the sun went down. no vehicles, no lights, no moon or stars, it was the darkest ride i can ever remember. haulin' ass on loose gravel that night, don't recommend it.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:52 AM   #107
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,336
Nice picture!

I want that same view next year except with me in it! I hope all the stars stay aligned so to speak.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #108
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Ditto...we have 6 in our group.....what a crowd...lol...I hope we can all get along.....I'm sure we will...we're all old farts....
We all either snore or go to bed before sun down and get up before sun rise....
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #109
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Daily schedule

I started building the daily schedule, I don't know how many days this will come out to yet but that's the reason I am doing this. I may have to fatten up some daily mileage to make it fit 14 days, but then again this may show 14 days is a push and something closer to 21 is more realistic.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #110
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,296
Personally, I'd rather add a few days than turn it into a race. I for one may never get a chance to see labrador again and I'd rather *see* it than scream through it.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #111
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

by the time you get there towards the end of the 2011 construction season, there might be less than 50 miles of gravel road rermaining between lab city and churchill falls. no reason to stop there after riding a few hours unless you're going to take the tour. you could get to HVGB easily, and then another easy ride to PHS the following day. would save a day in your schedule from baie comeau to blanc sablon without making a hard push.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #112
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

More time where?

I am with you but another consideration is spend more time in just Labrador or Labrador and Newfoundland and then scream through the rest of it?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #113
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Push spots?

JD,

We definitely need to figure out the spots to push, my fear from my trip to Newfoundland is that I don't slow down enough to enjoy the views and really miss enjoying the vast expanse of Canada. I would rather push hard on the front and end rather than the middle.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #114
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,296
Bruce, that's what I meant above. I don't mind pushing through the states but I'd rather slow down and enjoy Canada. Of course, I don't have to worry about vacation like the rest of you either.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #115
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
JD,

We definitely need to figure out the spots to push, my fear from my trip to Newfoundland is that I don't slow down enough to enjoy the views and really miss enjoying the vast expanse of Canada. I would rather push hard on the front and end rather than the middle.
i can agree with that. i just wanted to point out that the ride time between LC and CF is now probably down to 3 hours, unless there are long delays through road construction zones. i don't know of any side trips off that stretch of road. traffic was running interstate speeds.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #116
SkinnyPedal
Not So Skinny

Oddometer: 50
I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one:

- Steed of choice for trip: 990 Adventure R
- Tires you plan to use: TKC80 Front - Mefo Super Explorer Rear
- Do you have any helmet communications gear: None now, but it's on the shopping list and would be bumped up if I did this trip in a group

To really turn it into an adventure, I have a cousin in Nain that I was planning on visiting, but it's a 48 hour ferry ride from Goose Bay and another 48 hours back down from Nain. That killed the idea pretty quick.

At any rate, *subscribed*

SkinnyPedal screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 06:37 PM
SkinnyPedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #117
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
This should be the theme of the trip "Preferred lodging: I pack to camp and love to do it, but prefer hotels/B&Bs."

Welcome
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #118
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i can agree with that. i just wanted to point out that the ride time between LC and CF is now probably down to 3 hours, unless there are long delays through road construction zones. i don't know of any side trips off that stretch of road. traffic was running interstate speeds.
this past summer we left LC shortly after 7 and were in HV/GB before 4. Next summer the trip should be even faster as the paving progresses.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #119
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
This riding time issue is a problem for me too.....yes once we hit Manic 5, we either camp there or slightly above on the side of that large meteor strike lake on our second day of hard riding. Then....the whole ride pivots around the ferry schedule getting off Newfoundland...IMHO. That is the biggest hurdle to cross......setting a definate day and time to get that ferry. I also don't want to scream through Labrador, but if road conditions are as good as I have seen in some of the video clips....then we will be a good day ahead of schedule. I'm sort of hoping the Lab ride will be more challenging than just a gravel road to ride....yes the scenery is great etc. But if there isn't much to stop and admire so to speak .....what happens? I plan on stopping to smell the roses on the far eastern shores and go to all the furthest north I can as I too will maybe, well maybe not go back, maybe...lol....But this will be my last time across the ferry system if the experience is at all bad! The worst part of the whole trip for me is the attitude of the ferry system. Newfoundland is a beautiful place no question...but what a hassle to get there and worst off their little piece of paradise!
So...the question still remains.....realistically how long will it take us to ride from our first campsite to the first ferry to Newfoundland....? And still enjoy all that the Trans-Lab has to offer???
We have a few guys who really are inexperienced on gravel, but after the first 100kms, they will be fine for sure...lol
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #120
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
So...the question still remains.....realistically how long will it take us to ride from our first campsite to the first ferry to Newfoundland....? And still enjoy all that the Trans-Lab has to offer???
We have a few guys who really are inexperienced on gravel, but after the first 100kms, they will be fine for sure...lol
if you just wanted to get out of Labrador, you could easily catch the ferry at blanc sablon on day 3 from a start at manic 5. you better make sure everyone buys into this schedule if you decide to do it. you're also making an assumption on all riders in your group being able to ride that gravel at speed. then there's the road conditions, weather, and possible bike issues. tougher to maintain a high average speed with a larger group on these gravel roads if for no other reasons than dust and rider ability. dust alone could keep a group strung out well over a mile.

i don't view the ferry rides as a deterrent for visiting newfoundland.