User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
OcoeeG OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
2011 Honda Tornado

So presently I live in Colombia, Medellin to be exact. Wonderful country, beautiful women, amazing scenery and UNBELIEVABLE for a motorcycle. But BananaMan tells me it's dangerous so be careful. Anyway, one drawback to being a motorcycle rider in Colombia is that bike are CRAZY expensive to buy here and it is almost impossible to bring a used bike in if you are not on a tourist vias (I have a work visa). I am talking 2006 DR 650 with 50,000km for like $8000. It is truly stupid. I had to get a bike, I can't live in a place like this without one. So I began looking, I just couldn't bring myself to drop that much kind of money on a used bike. I have had some bad luck with a few of my past used bikes. It is such a crapshoot! That combined with the weak as hell dollar compared to the Colombian peso. It was becoming a bit daunting.
I decided to buy new for a few reasons, one because the resale value here is awesome, I could get a loan (from my employer if I did) and I would have to kill someone if my $8000 used bike needed an overhaul 2 months after I bought it.
I went with the 2011 Honda Tornado which is kind of the weaker brother to the XR250. A 250 you say that is too small. Well here is my thought process. First of all this is going to be a daily commuter so I will save on gas. The 250 has enough balls for me and some gear on the couple week trips I will be doing around the country. People do big trip on these things all the time ( saw blogs from a guy who did the length of Africa, another from a father son team who did 5000 kms in Brazil, Peru and Bolivia) so it can be done, I will just have to suffer more.
So far I am loving it. I will let you guys digest this post. I will be back to give you a report about my first ride yesterday, rolled it off the showroom floor and did a nice break-in ride of 100km up in the mountains outside of town. Not bad for a bone stock 250 with all the emmisions crap still installed if was still fun as hell.
OcoeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
250:s shouldn't be looked down upon, in my book the smaller the bike the bigger the adventure but if you're on something like a 1200GS... well, that's almost cheating. When I'm done playing with my 990 Adv I'll probably get a smaller bike again. On a big bike like the 990 you enjoy "the bike" more but on a 250 you have time to enjoy the surroundings more, it's two very different experiences.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,607
Pictures......

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
i love my drz250 (tagged)
ride that 250 and love it
then post some pictures (of the ladies)
Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Colombianito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I just picked up a 2012 Honda Tornado this week. I had been beating up the Colombian Countryside this past 17 months on a AKT 150 TT . For the money, the chinese bike served me well. I had been wanting the Honda, but construction cost at my Hotel soared thus killing the dream for almost 2 years.

On the 250, allow me to say that for anyone wanting to see more of Colombia then just the Pan American Highway.........the bike will fullfill most all your needs. I'd say the 250 - 400 size is about perfect for riding the Holy Grail of South America. They are light and nimble. And the power is enough to take you whereever you decide to go.

I most certainly love to pick up a larger bike eventually for other uses, but feel quite happy with the 250.
Colombianito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
I would like to know if the Tornado can be lowered via a lowering link on the rear suspension? I know it can be put in a lower position on the rear shock but that does not quite get it low enough for my 29" inseam. The Suzuki dr200 fits me but the tornado interests me.I priced both bikes in Lima Peru and purchase for a tourist seems doable there but from what I read it is much easier as a tourist to purchase in Colombia.
Thanks
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I would like to know if the Tornado can be lowered via a lowering link on the rear suspension? I know it can be put in a lower position on the rear shock but that does not quite get it low enough for my 29" inseam. The Suzuki dr200 fits me but the tornado interests me.I priced both bikes in Lima Peru and purchase for a tourist seems doable there but from what I read it is much easier as a tourist to purchase in Colombia.
Thanks
They have a double height set up... shock has 2 mount points "holes"
forks have a step in them so you can slid them though the claps till
the step hits the top clamp.. If yer look on the side cover you will see
(double high sus) on it.. But thats as low as it can go easly as the
Honda linkage system dose not have the dog bone style links like
Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki.. The only prob with the low setting is they want to fall
over of the side stand... I shortened my stand...

They are a bloody good wee bike... mines a 05

By petenz at 2012-03-27

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 09:19 PM
Pete-NZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,331
So, I wonder what happened to the OP and his ride report?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
OcoeeG OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Still here

I am still here. I decided to do a blog instead of a ride report so more on my family and friends could follow along. I was not very diligent in keeping it up after my big trip last Xmas. The bike now has 22,000 trouble free kilometers. I liked riding the 250 so much I am seriously considering buying a wr250r when I get back stateside. I leave Colombia in 20 days to head back home after almost 2 wonderful years. It is bittersweet but I am ready to get back.
OcoeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
ronibader
n00b

Oddometer: 4
2011 Tornado XR250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombianito View Post
I just picked up a 2012 Honda Tornado this week. I had been beating up the Colombian Countryside this past 17 months on a AKT 150 TT . For the money, the chinese bike served me well. I had been wanting the Honda, but construction cost at my Hotel soared thus killing the dream for almost 2 years.

On the 250, allow me to say that for anyone wanting to see more of Colombia then just the Pan American Highway.........the bike will fullfill most all your needs. I'd say the 250 - 400 size is about perfect for riding the Holy Grail of South America. They are light and nimble. And the power is enough to take you whereever you decide to go.

I most certainly love to pick up a larger bike eventually for other uses, but feel quite happy with the 250.

Hey mate,

im a newby to bikes, i just picked up a 2011 Tornado XR250, and im having trouble finding accessories.
Any idea where i can find side & luggage racks ? Also looking for handguards

I live in Dubai, UAE.. amazing desert trails, and the 250 is just doing fine :)
Cheers !
ronibader is offline   Reply With Quote