ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
ewxlt OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
04 950 Adv 34k - 1st Gear Woes

Hey guys, new to KTMs but not super new to riding. I consider myself pretty capable when it comes to handling equipment, but not super technical taking stuff apart beyond wiper blades and oil changes.

But here's my prob with my 04 KTM 950 Adv 34k...

This bikes rides great overall, but in all conditions (cold, warm, hot) the clutch, in 1st gear only, has a chatter, warble, lurch from a dead stop. From a rolling start or downhill the prob, lessens or disappears entirely.

No matter how many different variations I try to let out the clutch and throttle, if it's from a dead stop, I get this chatter than forces me to give it more gas and get out from a dead stop in a bucking bronco fashion.

The friend I bought it from said he had his tech look at it and everything looked spot on internally...and this friend had gotten "in the zone" with the bike and could get around the oddity.

Is this a quirky part of the KTM lady?

Any tips to get around or over this issue?

My dad is an old wrench and suggested I just start in 2nd gear!?!?!

Any help is appreciated.

-EWxlt
ewxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,830
slave cylinder
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Hiatus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
What oil and how old? Mine acts really goofy when I tried some Amsoil.
Hiatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,241
You are not alone:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...clutch+chatter

The fix:

Swap the last steel clutch plate at the bottom of the stack with any other steel plate in the stack. The bellville washer at the bottom of the stack rides against the last steel plate and wears a groove into the plate. It's not much of a groove that causes an issue. The results are like a brand new clutch. Smooth as silk at release, warm or cold.

When you put it back together, make sure the sharp edge of the steel plate are all facing in, and don't over tighten the little 8mm bolts. Check the Hall Of Wisdom for specifics on clutches: http://www.ktm950.info/ < Bookmark that site...you'll be back.

Chuckracer screwed with this post 02-12-2015 at 07:53 PM
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:21 AM   #5
ewxlt OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
You are not alone:

The fix:

Swap the last steel clutch plate at the bottom of the stack with any other steel plate in the stack. The bellville washer at the bottom of the stack rides against the last steel plate and wears a groove into the plate. It's not much of a groove that causes an issue. The results are like a brand new clutch. Smooth as silk at release, warm or cold.

When you put it back together, make sure the sharp edge of the steel plate are all facing in, and don't over tighten the little 8mm bolts. Check the Hall Of Wisdom for specifics on clutches: http://www.ktm950.info/ < Bookmark that site...you'll be back.
Will give it a go. Thanks for the input gentlemen.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
ABuck99

Oddometer: 594
What Chuck said: Works

Had the same issue, usually only when cold, but none the less when I swapped the bottom steel with another steel in the stack, it cured that chatter & grabbing problem. 31k on mine, and steels are still good, and clutch fibers still look like new and still in spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
You are not alone:

The fix:

Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
roookie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
The updated clutch rod cured mine. Easy fix.. 1 hour job, nice and easy..
Old 02-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
ewxlt OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by roookie1 View Post
The updated clutch rod cured mine. Easy fix.. 1 hour job, nice and easy..
Gonna try the plate swap as has been suggested a few times, if that doesn't work, it may pay off to check out the clutch rod. Appreciate the help.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
roookie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
While your in there messin with the plates, do the rod, its cheap, and You dont have to take the bike apart again if the plate thing doestn turn out right..
Old 02-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
Boatman
Upward and onward!!

Oddometer: 10,269
I'd be very surprised if the plate swap didn't cure the issue. I had done the pushrod, rebuilt slave, new fluid, bleeding, changed the oil jet (which created other problems),, yada yada with no results. Swapped the plates and it was like a new machine. Doesn't cost anything but a 30 minutes of time......

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote