Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #151
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Many nights I'd toss and turn in bed for hours trying to think through a problem I was having, only to get up at 1am, because sleep wasn't going to happen. I'd go down in the shop and start sketching up my thoughts before they were gone. At the time I was working 3:00pm-11:30pm, get some sleep and try and work on it more from 10am-2pm. Some nights not getting to bed until 6am.

So, even though all my time was not "Fabrication" Time, there is still alot of "Thinking" time required to complete the project.

547 days * 4 hrs/day = 2,735 hrs.....

And I'm still not done....

Now I see why my head hurt so much.

I forsee alot more late nights......
You sound like an artist! Dare I say: You ARE an artist! I know that sleep schedule well, sometimes inspiration and/or a productive streak comes out of blue in the middle of the night, you just gotta go with it or maybe lose it forever. It drives my family nuts. Bravo!

Ooo, a 2wd SE... Nice. Nice.

I'm still anxiously waiting to see how you did the tank mods.
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #152
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
Dare I say:
Dare, dare.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
You ARE an artist.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #153
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Nice work CJ!
Would it not make sense for Christini to pick up this project now and market a kit for the ADV and SE?
You've already laid the ground work and proven it to function, and created a market at the same time.
I think they owe you!

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #154
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
YES, I have an illness.....but I'm not sure what to name it.
It already has a name... (Don't ask me how I know )

You Sir, have a chronic case of High-Functionning Obsessive-Compusive Farkle Spectrum Disorder (HFOCFSD), and for this specific project I'd also diagnose you with with pervasive co-morbity in Uni-Modal Tractional Dillusion Syndrome...

Yup - you're nuts alright...no doubt about it...
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:46 AM   #155
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
I've been asked this a few times now and I don't have a good answer. I didn't record any work time as it was so sporadic. I've also been told every time you stop working on a project, add 15 minutes to your project time to get your bearings again. I believe it! Many days I would only be able to get an hour or 2 of hands on work test fitting stuff. My weekends were spent trying to get 10-12 hr days in.

The time to complete this had work time split into a few categories.

Research/Thinking:
Design/CAD:
Fabrication:
Testing:

Let just say it's alot.

Before I even had parts in hand I studied the manuals offered to me by Steve. These allowed me to start looking at parts and see how they might fit in the puzzle or if I'd need to look elsewhere. My mind was always working on problems and potential "fixes". Many nights I'd toss and turn in bed for hours trying to think through a problem I was having, only to get up at 1am, because sleep wasn't going to happen. I'd go down in the shop and start sketching up my thoughts before they were gone. At the time I was working at my Aerospace job 3:00pm-11:30pm, come home, try to get some sleep, then try and work on it more from 10am-2pm. Some nights not getting to bed until 6am.

So, even though all my time was not "Fabrication" Time, there is still alot of "Thinking" time required to complete the project.

I had a few weeks off from time to time, but my mind was always thinking about the project and had a sketch book with me to jot the ideas down. Toward the end I spent almost 2 months, full time, working to complete this in time.

If I had to guess how much time, I'd say I could average 4hrs a day of work over a 1yr and half..... Yikes. This is the first time I've ever thought this out.....

547 days * 4 hrs/day = 2,735 hrs.....

And I'm still not done....

Now I see why my head hurt so much.

SECOND BIKE:

This summer my plans are to keep testing/traveling and racing the AWD 950.
I want to get alot of miles on this setup before I work on a Second bike.

Some of my current design ideas will need to be cleaned up, while applying NEW ideas, making the second bike even better.

I hope to be able to build another KTM ADV bike, and a Super Enduro in the future. (2011-2012) I forsee alot more late nights......
I figured that was pretty much the case.

It kind of prices the modification out of the market for typical bike users.

But thanks for the response!
Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #156
frank wheelbarrow
ten four

Oddometer: 712

Flanny, this place wouldn't be the same, with out u!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post

You Sir, have a chronic case of High-Functionning Obsessive-Compusive Farkle Spectrum Disorder (HFOCFSD), and for this specific project I'd also diagnose you with with pervasive co-morbity in Uni-Modal Tractional Dillusion Syndrome...

know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
frank wheelbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #157
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Awesome, Pretty much covers it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post

cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #158
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:

It's called OCWD - Obsessive Compulsive Wrenching Disorder
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #159
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

This is just an estimate of the R&D time. Of course the second one would go way faster.

Ya, if you figured $10/hr x 2,735 hr = $27,350. That might be kind of spendy.

If I thought of all this stuff before I even started in on a project, most likely I'd never even start, and the reason I figure others don't take on projects like this. (You loose your ass.) I guess the passion to see a working final project keeps me going and working through the next problem. I have a use for this in my travels and decided it was worth the time in the long run.

There is still a lot to look into before this could ever become "production" from me. It's a bike build up, some local guys spend $50,000+ on a custom chromed out Harley. Everyone has there own special needs and price they can afford on it. I guess there are always less productive things I could be spending my time doing.

It's an exciting time to be in bikes, lots of new stuff available everyday. Don't give up hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
I figured that was pretty much the case.

It kind of prices the modification out of the market for typical bike users.

But thanks for the response!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #160
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
I blame you and Curvy for the new machine that is headed my way. Between the two of you I had to try my hand at making stuff that would be fun to create.

My wallet hates the two of you.

Sounds interesting.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #161
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Continued from here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=139

So at this point it's June 2010, I'm getting ready to ride to San Diego, CA to pick my wife up at the Airport for a little vacation. Other than our trip to New Foundland, that took us as far East as you can ride, this would be the farthest West I had ridden from home. I'd have 6,000 mile round trip to think over my next plan of attack when I got home.

When I returned home I got back at it, but it wouldn't be until July when I could start cutting more AWD parts.

I decided to hold off on the tank mods, as I had more issues to figure out before I destroyed a perfectly good tank.

Lets get stuff moving before I worry about giving it GAS.

Next up was to figure out the Head tube fitment, position and alignment.

The AWD cast head tube is a little over an 1" shorter than the OEM 950 head tube. Not wanting to make a new head tube unless I absolutely needed to, I built an adaptor instead.

Starting with billet Chromoly round stock, an adaptor was milled up. It was faster for me to use the CNC than hog all this out on the lathe. The top is shown and PLUS stock was left on the ID bearing fit surfaces.

Flip it over and machine the bottom side that would sit inside the AWD cast head tube.

Ready for test fitting and mock up.

This shows how the adaptor fits and lengthens the AWD head tube to be used on the LC8 frame. This should give me as much strength as stock and allow for full welds around the original frame tubes. On the bottom there is a gap, I'll work on something for that later on.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #162
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

With the head tube looking about right, now I needed to start aligning parts. The CV joint was the next part down the chain. Originally this was for a steering drive wheel. Splines on the OD to engage the drive hub and a threaded end for a lock nut, pretty common stuff.....but none of it was use full for me.

Off with the splines. Interrupted cuts on hardened parts is tough on machines and tooling. Causing lots of vibration, NOT GOOD. I spun it slow and gave it a good feed. Sounded like hell, but after a while I made it through the splines and turned it to a diameter that would be useful later on for mounting a bearing.

This CV joint would not be pivoting through an arc like a front wheel on a 4X4 truck. It will be locked in one position and spinning to transfer power around a corner.

Another drive shaft would be needed to connect the CV to the rear 90 degree gear box. I had some chromoly tubing around to a cut off a length and that would be slipped over the CV end where the Lock nut use to be. I turned off the treads on the CV to the ID of the chromoly tubing.

Slow and steady, Almost didn't clear the fridge.

I now have a drive shaft to the front Head tube to the CV and a drive shaft from the gear box to the CV. The CV now needs to be mounted someplace secure, yet still be serviceable for maintenance. This would be fit on the INSIDE of the frame, but with 2 long drive shaft there is no way it would be serviceable with out dropping the motor. NO WAY. I'll use 2 drive shafts with a coupler.

A billet Chromoly "U" bracket was built to hold the bearing and allow for the CV to be removed from outside the frame.

An alum cap was made on the CNC to hold the bearing in and allow for easy service. It even uses KTM bolts, so tools in the stock tool kit can be used.

This would need to be mounted to the frame tubes. The cleanest way was to cut out a section of frame and slip the "U" section in.

Cut on the dotted yellow line, a little sanding and...

Tack welded in place to hold it, as I'm running out of hands and tie downs weren't cutting it anymore. The tubing has been tack welded to the CV too. I now have 2 of the same diameters to allow a coupler to join the CV to the rear Gear box drive shaft.

With this setup the CV and front drive to the head can be removed from the bike by removing the rear coupler, loosening and removing the "U" bracket clamp and swinging the CV with bearing to the outside of the frame. The bearing "U" bracket holder is support 360 degrees, I couldn't see how adding this in would weaken the frame in this area.

Are you still with me?

cjracer screwed with this post 01-18-2011 at 03:16 PM
Old 01-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #163
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:

Are you still with me?
Yup. Cool stuff, goes ALMOST without sayin'

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...