ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #286
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Maybe head down to Mexico with the AWD 950 SE to test everything out the next spring!
https://norra.com/index.php
Oh no! It's in black and white.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #287
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Upon our return, hope to swap the new components onto the 950 ADV. Take a test ride around WI one weekend. Then beat the heck out them in CO for the KTM National CJD tech Rally Ride. Evaluate and continue testing through the fall.
Well, if a beat-down, Colorado style, is in order, a visit to HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, & HERE would be appropriate, dont you think?
JRod152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #288
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
"Taking Big Bikes Down A Whole New Road"

In case you missed this, here is a very nicely done interview and article by Outland Moto about the AWD 950 ADV from Craig at CJDesigns.

http://www.outlandmoto.com/articles/...-by-cj-designs

Matthew

2006 KTM 950 ADV S - 2004 Sherco 2.9
http://www.mdfeditions.com/
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/

mdfehrmann screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 10:08 PM
mdfehrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #289
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
That was a great article, thank you for linking it. Im greatly pleased to see that CJ is continuing to develop and refine his conversion.

CJ, if you ever do get to the point of developing a kit for the KTM 690if it is at all feasible, please make the kit compatible with the extended range auxiliary gas tanks from Safari and RR. (and RRs upgraded 300mm front fork travel kit--heck I want it all!).

I read somewhere awhile back (I cant remember the source or I would link it) that repeated deep water crossings in the run of a day might present a problem for the Chrisitini system due to having the lubricant washed away. Any insights on whether this is a valid concern or would the system need per crossing or daily fresh applications of lube? How long would it take to completely re-apply lube to the system at the end of a day? Thank you in advance.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #290
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,674
It'll need a Scott oiler on steroids
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #291
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Outboard motors seal just fine ,, I'd suspect as long as good quality seals are used should not be that big of a deal, I suspect though like many things KTM its all in the maintenance and care taken of the system. My 4x4 needs a lot of PM after its been out in the boonies if mud or deep water is involved. I'd expect similar requirements with a Bike..

Dave
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #292
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
I just spent the last couple hours reading this thread from start to finish. Great job CJ. Very, very cool.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #293
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Only seen this today and read through it. Brilliant.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #294
Bronson1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
The thread

Me too, Great read! You guys need to check out Overland Expo in May 2014 Flagstaff AZ. Chris with your travels and tech there are a lot of us who'd enjoy hearing about it.Their always on the look out for new speakers, instructors and venders. Travelers & Reps from all over come and it's growing every year.This is my 5th year at the Expo and if it wasn't cool I wouldn't pay to keep going. Lot's of bikes, trucks and campers of all kinds. Half the time I just stumble around to see what peaple rode in on. I want to get a chance to see your bike up close and you can check out the trail rides. I'm from Platteville, WI and have cousins from Whitewater. It's great to see peaple from my home state doing Really nice work! Good on ya.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #295
Bronson1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Oh ya - I found out about this thread from Motor Cyclist's - Me & My Bike write up.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #296
Unruled
950S

Oddometer: 118
I'm really curious what said kit would cost when it's ready... It's a lot of work but I haven't yet decided on what project to take on in the winter of 2014. Might be this, might be 320mm suspension. The latter would be bragging rights really, not particularly useful. AWD however... Decisions decisions.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #297
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,134
Dirt Rider had an ADV bike supplement about a month ago with another great article on Craig and his bike.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #298
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,964
Bike Nomad
"That was a great article, thank you for linking it. Im greatly pleased to see that CJ is continuing to develop and refine his conversion."

Thanks, It's been a long season with slow delopement on this bike with everything going on around here with a new shop build and home move. Be every trip and mile put on it does help and shows that this can work in the real world.

"CJ, if you ever do get to the point of developing a kit for the KTM 690if it is at all feasible, please make the kit compatible with the extended range auxiliary gas tanks from Safari and RR. (and RRs upgraded 300mm front fork travel kit--heck I want it all!)."

I have had several requests for this bike and I think it could be a great build up. It has some new challenges, but a lot of the 950, parts andb uild ideas would transfer over. Knowing what already works is a huge help and I will be considering those tank options as a requirement to fit.

"I read somewhere awhile back (I cant remember the source or I would link it) that repeated deep water crossings in the run of a day might present a problem for the Chrisitini system due to having the lubricant washed away. Any insights on whether this is a valid concern or would the system need per crossing or daily fresh applications of lube? How long would it take to completely re-apply lube to the system at the end of a day? Thank you in advance. "

Anyone has traveled with me will know I tend to find mud, water crossings and don't shy away from it unless I need scuba gear. So far it's help up great. The gear box is sealed with o-rings and I pack it with synthetic grease.

My inspection and service goes like this:
Every tire change (every 7-10,000 miles) I pull the front drive side covers off (6 bolts per side - 5 min)

I inspect and clean as need, repack with grease (15 min)

I check bearings for any or grittyness and change as needed. (15 min)

Put the covers back on and install new wheel.

The drive shafts have a linear bearing grease fitting on them. Give it a few squirts.

If anything feals odd, put a new bearing or seal in it. This summer before heading to CO for the KTM Rally I put a fresh set of bearing and seals in the drive hubs. (I try to do this once a season - every 15-20,000 miles - just to prevent any issues when on the road) I think it took me about 1 hour to disassemble, clean, inspect and replace with new parts.

The main drive chain gives me about 2,500 miles of continuous use with this High HP and weight bike. I run it till it's stretched, toss it and put another on. These chains pack small and I can keep 2 spares on the bike in my ESB. They run about $15 each.(cheap fun) and I can remove it in about 10 min for longer pavement runs from WI to CO. Just like unlocking your hubs on a Jeep. Why have everything spinning when you don't need it?

The CV joint I'm running has only needed to be serviced ONCE, and that was to install a NEW CV boot before we left for Alaska. ( I failed to recognize if would grow - expand ast I approach 100 mph and it hit the frame and rubbed the rubber thin) I had modified the frame to fix that before heading to Alaska, so it's pretty much a maintance free item now.

CF Slipper clutch pack-
I have gone through one set of friction clutch pack disks so it seems like every 30-40,000 miles I need a new set and basket.

Head Bearing-
I'm still on the same LARGER head bearing set, and chain and gear set in the triple clamps, run in grease. Never given me any issues.

Sprockets-
I need to make more custom double LC8 Sprockets over the winter to try some new gearing options, but those have held up very well too. Best thing is I can always swap on an OEM front Sprocket setup and continue on if need be, or if I want to run a 17/45 accross the plains and swap on a 16 tooth AWD front sprocket for the mountains at camp.

90 degree gear box-
No issues, it's been holding up great. and I can service it with the engine in the frame and remove it in about 30 min if need be. I'm working on some udates for this on future builds so removal won't be needed to service it at all it's pretty much been a maintanace free item.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #299
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Hi CJ, put me down for a 690 AWD kit as well.

I think the 690 would be a good platform for it, since it has power to spare and AWD would make it an amazing Adventure machine for the fun gnarly stuff.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #300
AJ990R
motorcycle guy

Oddometer: 208

Motorcyclist megazine