User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Emperor Norton OP
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 977
Wunderlich 2011 F650GS ooops

So I took my 2011 F650GS into the dealer this Saturday. I was told 1.5 hrs for the 600mile service, throwing on Touratech hand guards, the Touratech nose/mud extension and the Wunderlich ADV Crash bars. So 2hrs into it "Theres a problem with the crash bars, somethings taking longer, another 30min and you're gone". After 3 hrs I asked them to bypass the side stand switch.

The problem is: On a 2011 F650GS (Not lowered) the wunderlich crash bars break the functionality of the stock sidestand switch.

After all this I'm actually happy. Why? The dealer didn't burn me for the extra time it took for them to call Wunderlich and troubleshoot the bars and I got to beta hardware on a new vehicle with only a little lost time as the ill effect. I have to go back, eh. I need more farkles anyways.

If you have a 2011 F650 (possibly F800) and you get the Wunderlich bars watch out for this.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck
So I took my 2011 F650GS into the dealer this Saturday. I was told 1.5 hrs for the 600mile service, throwing on Touratech hand guards, the Touratech nose/mud extension and the Wunderlich ADV Crash bars. So 2hrs into it "Theres a problem with the crash bars, somethings taking longer, another 30min and you're gone". After 3 hrs I asked them to bypass the side stand switch.

The problem is: On a 2011 F650GS (Not lowered) the wunderlich crash bars break the functionality of the stock sidestand switch.

After all this I'm actually happy. Why? The dealer didn't burn me for the extra time it took for them to call Wunderlich and troubleshoot the bars and I got to beta hardware on a new vehicle with only a little lost time as the ill effect. I have to go back, eh. I need more farkles anyways.

If you have a 2011 F650 (possibly F800) and you get the Wunderlich bars watch out for this.
What is different about the 2011 over the 2010 that makes this so?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Emperor Norton OP
Kilroy was here

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
What is different about the 2011 over the 2010 that makes this so?

They weren't 100% certain but thought that the 2011 footpegs/mounting brackets were relocated to where they usually were on the factory lowered models.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck
They weren't 100% certain but thought that the 2011 footpegs/mounting brackets were relocated to where they usually were on the factory lowered models.
Geez I didn't realize the factory lowering messed with where the foot pegs were located - only seat height and rear suspension....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
Emperor Norton OP
Kilroy was here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Geez I didn't realize the factory lowering messed with where the foot pegs were located - only seat height and rear suspension....

Im not entirely sure thats it. The issue had only previously been seen on lowered models, so something isn't quite where it used to be. Hopefully Ill know more next weekend.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
nuland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
This exact thing happened to me on my F650 2010 model, the lower mounting point on the left side needs more radius (see picture) in order to clear the switch... nothing that a dremel cannot fix quickly instead of going thru the whole returning process.

I did contact Wunderlich and they say this is completely new for them... rats! There are a couple of posts in this forum describing that same issue.
nuland is offline   Reply With Quote