User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Trials, Tribulations, and Redemption - The summer of 2012

I've loved motorcycling ever since the day in 1984 when my "crazy" uncle Paul showed up at my parents house with a Honda Shadow cruiser bike and somehow convinced them to let him take me for a ride. I was absolutely hooked and it led to a 30 year love with motorcycles. That love, though, was being tested as I struggled to make the spinning in my head stop as I crawled off the road in Piseco NY after a much too close encounter with wildlife.

"What the Fuck just happened?"
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Adventure always begins innocently enough; a question here, a post there, and before you know it, you’re in a place you’ve never been before with people you’ve never met. This summer was no different. Back in April, there were some posts in a forum I frequent, EX-500.com, where it was suggested we get together. Usually, talk remains talk, but myself and a few other members started talking dates and I managed to find a chalet for the weekend of June 22. The place, Piseco NY in the East side of the Adirondacks. None of the 10 + riders had ever been there before and, because most of those coming along hadn’t been on any long trips, it was deemed the perfect place for them to break their “long distance” cherry.

Myself, I usually do one long trip a year so this 500kms trip was going to be a piece of cake. I have to admit though, I was a little concerned about leading out a group of newer riders only because I usually don’t ride with groups; most riders I know would rather sit at a coffee shop and talk about riding rather than actually ride. All the guys seemed pretty good from our conversations on the forum so I was pleasantly surprised to find out they were even better in the flesh.

We met up at my place and took off around 11am. The plan was to get to Piseco before dark as I’m not a fan of dealing with country roads at night. Being a veteran of the BRP and West Virginia, I’ve seen first hand the trouble that lies around each corner with the skittish deer.

We met up with our American counter parts in Buffalo then slowly made our way East. As the day wore on, the stops became a little more frequent and my concern rose a bit. Luckily, we made it to the Irondequoit Inn around 8:30pm as the sun was setting. The problem was the kitchen was closed and we hadn’t eaten since the early afternoon. The decision was made to offload our gear and search for an open kitchen. We finally found one in Prospector called Logan’s. Belly’s full, we made our way back to the Inn. I didn’t want to lead as the headlight in the Ducati 900ss doesn’t inspire confidence so another rider led out. Somehow, along the way, I ended up back in front as we wound our way through the hamlet of Piseco. I had a big smile on my face; I was in my element. I met really nice people on this ride and couldn’t wait to crack a few cold ones around a fire and spend the rest of the night bullshitting.

But then, fate intervened. Something black and brown came across my headlight and I was sent flying like a ragdoll. I remember thinking, in the middle of my tumble, whether this was the way it was supposed to end. I though that, if I was going to leave, I couldn’t find a better way to do it than while doing something I really enjoyed doing and with a smile on my face.

After the rolling stopped I knew I had to get off the road. I was pretty dizzy and couldn’t get up but I managed to crawl away till I was sitting up on the side of the road. WTF just happened there. Ray, riding behind me, narrowly missed me while stopping. “Holy fuck man, you just hit a bear!”. I pointed to my bike and asked if someone can shut it off. I was pretty calm about the whole thing but I knew that at some point the adrenalin would wear off and I’d be hurtin’. At this point, we were on the edge of Piseco but the place looked deserted and there was no cell phone coverage. Ray mentioned that the bear wasn’t particularly big and might be a yearling so discussing our situation on the road might not be a good idea. By that time, the Duc was rolled up to me. I pulled the cowl back in shape and started her back up. I yelled “Let’s get out of here” and we rolled out.

homme de fer screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 07:52 AM Reason: add a picture
Old 09-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thankfully, we were only a few minutes from the Inn which worked out well because I was really starting to hurt. I figured I’d broken something in my left arm and took a hard hit to the head and just wanted to stop and assess the damage. I started getting a little wobbly on the walk to the chalet and by the time we reached it, tunnel vision and a little of the shakes had set in. One of the riders pointed at my head and said “Look at that, he squashed his head”. Sure enough, it looks like I hit the bear with the front left side of my head and dented my scull. The guys kept me up for almost a couple hours to make sure I was OK before I finally got a few hours of unbroken sleep.

Saturday June 23

Thankfully, we were only a few minutes from the Inn which worked out well because I was really starting to hurt. I figured I’d broken something in my left arm and took a hard hit to the head and just wanted to stop and assess the damage. I started getting a little wobbly on the walk to the chalet and by the time we reached it, tunnel vision and a little of the shakes had set in. One of the riders pointed at my head and said “Look at that, he squashed his head”. Sure enough, it looks like I hit the bear with the front left side of my head and dented my scull. The guys kept me up for almost a couple hours to make sure I was OK before I finally got a few hours of unbroken sleep.

The next morning, I went up to the Inn to inquire about a hospital because I was in some pretty intense pain. After learning of my crash, the keeper insisted on calling 911. Of course, I refused. I had this notion that I’d get on the back of someone’s bike and get a ride to the closest hospital, which happened to be 50 miles away. Pamela, on of the keepers, said “clearly you aren’t of sound mind so I’m going to ask one of your friends to make decisions for you”. Alright, call 911.

First response was interesting. The first to arrive was a woman who was cutting the grass at the local airport. Her great attitude had me laughing. Others started arriving as well as a local Sherriff who was in no laughing mood. Among his questions:

“Why didn’t you report the accident as soon as it happened?” – Well, there was no cell service, we are in the middle of no where, and it was almost midnight.

“were you drinking” – No, I had a glass of beer about 3 hours previous.

“Well, because you fled the scene, you can’t prove that” – Oy,

“I should give you a ticket for leaving the scene” – Ok.

And that’s pretty much the kind of “help” we got from him. The First Aiders were great though. Rather than take an hour and a half trip to the hospital tied to a board in the back of an ambulance, a first aider drove me down a very twisty road to the Nathan Littauer Hospital in Gloversville. Again, the staff were great and they made sure to perform every expensive test they could in order to charge my insurance company. I swear, their eyes lit up when they found out I had “extra” coverage for everything. I know health care coverage is a hot button issue on the States so all I have to say is that, despite all the tests (and the costs incurred) they still got it wrong, as I would find out in the next week. They gave me a clean bill of health and, after talking to my doctor for about 15 minutes about riding, herself being a rider, I was poured into the back of a vehicle and driven back the Inn.

I was very fortunate to pick the weekend of the 22nd for the trip; the Irondequoit Inn is owned by the landowners of Piseco and they happened to be having the annual meeting while we were there. They made sure to send someone to pick me up at the hospital and took really good care of me. The other riders felt bad about my situation but there was no point in them moping around so, after making sure I was fine, they took off for a ride. (These pics aren’t mine).

Once we were all back in the chalet, we broke out some beer, started a fire, commenced to bullshit under the stars.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday June 24

It was clear I wasn’t going to be riding home nor could I ride bitch. Walking was a chore and I couldn’t stay awake for more than an hour at a time.

The lads were leaving early, 8am sharp, for the ride home. So I met them in the parking lot and wished them well. I lent out my rain gear to those who didn’t bring any as it looked like they were in for a humid ride home.

After the guys left, I took some shots of the bike for the insurance company. It really didn’t look that bad, all things considered. However, the engine didn’t sound the same and that worried me.

I had called my wife on Saturday just before heading off to the hospital and that’s a call I never want to make again. She arranged to come and get me with a friend. I spent the day sleeping off the concussion, sitting on the porch listening to music, and hiking (of all things). I was told of an area of the creek with a “Roman Bath” feature and curiosity got the best of me.

The Adirondack Inn

The Lake

Turn of the Century decor at the Irondequoit Inn

Roman Bath falls cut my the glaciers

Each chalet had a book in it where guest can recount their vacation. One of the guys was nice enough to leave this in the book.

John and Jay using the power of music to heal

Jay telling a story

My wife showed up around 7:30pm. I hugged her tight but I think she was afraid she’d break me. We stood on the porch and had a beer with some of the local when one of them, Jay, who lost his wife to cancer the previous fall, turns to my wife and says that she reminds him a lot of his wife and he was really glad to have met her. It was a touching moment. I knew that Piseco was a place that I would return to again in the future simply because the people are so genuine.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tribulations

Week of June 25th

My wife made sure to call my work for me to let them know I wouldn’t be in for a couple days. I couldn’t move well and was pretty tired. She also called my GP to book an appointment for my wrist. I had all kinds of x-rays and CT scans in the States and they told me it was fine but I had a feeling it was broken. Another round of x-rays was scheduled for the following week. I managed to work a couple days but I was sleeping almost 12 hours a night. On Canada Day long weekend, I pretty much napped 2 or 3 times a day. The body knows what it needs to recuperate so I just did what it told me to do.

Thoughts turned to insurance and how I was going to deal with it. I had never filed a claim since buying my first bike almost 25 years ago so I was about to bust my cherry. Compounding the situation was that I bought travel insurance prior to leaving on the trip. So, I now had to deal with 2 insurance companies. They sent me a mountain of forms to fill out, the headaches returned, and I decided to wait till next week to start on that..

Week of July 2nd

I had the x-rays done on a Wednesday and received the call I dreaded the following morning; my scaphoid was broken and I needed a cast. I was slated to spend the weekend up North with my kids so I headed to the hospital for the cast and made the 4 hour trip immediately after. I’m pretty active normally so having this cast was really going to put a damper on my summer.

The rest of July was a bit of a bummer. I had planned a trip to Virginia Beach but that was off and I couldn’t ride at all. With the kids up North, I usually spend my nights riding but this summer I pretty much went home and vegged out. Not at all what I had planned. To boost my spirits, my wife planned a trip to Sauble Beach. I couldn’t spend any time in the water but it was nice to get out and I started to feel “normal” again. My thoughts turned to riding as I counted down the days to having my cast removed. My wife asked if I was going to get another bike or use my old one, a ’92 Kawasaki EX500. I answered that I’d just use the EX to make sure I still had the “nerve” to ride. She laughed and bet me I’d have a new bike by the end of the summer.

Before even thinking of another bike though, I first had to go pick up the old one, which was left at the Inn.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Week of July 9th

It always surprises me how the motorcycling community comes together for a rider in need. Days after my accident, wheels were in motion to pick up my bike. Friends of friends made plans and, by the time I came back from North Bay on July 9th, a trip was planned for the 13th to get ‘Bella’.

A friend of my wife’s, Bob, works for a trucking company with another Bob. “Other” Bob is a bike fanatic, owning at least 15 of his own, and told Bob to borrow his trailer to pick my bike up. Bob and I laid plans for this weekend over a BBQ rib supper and we were off on our trip by 6pm Friday evening.

This trip was the first I’ve taken where I’ve driven at night and it became apparent I had issues. It seemed like all I saw on the side of the road was wildlife waiting to jump out and wreck us. It was all I can do to keep my mind off of it. We eventually made it to Utica at 11pm, making great time, found a bit of a dive to sleep at, and decent bar close by to drink some of that wonderful American beer. Canadians for a long time have been hung up on how our beer is so much better than yours (American). These days though, American micro-breweries absolutely kick ass and most of my trips down south involve sampling these amber nectars. This evening, it was time to try Saranac. Better than “big box” beer but tame.

Saturday morning, it was time to retrieve Bella. Bob made short work of the road to Piseco and before long we were fishing my baby out from the garage at the Inn. The owners were very helpful and insisted on me leaving it in their garage, safe from the elements. We couldn’t roll it up the slope due to the dirt/gravel driveway so I had to ride it up. It felt good to hear that beautiful roar, if only for a few moments, but then the electricals on the bike shorted out. The bike still ran but the headlight, signal lights, dash, and RPM gauge didn’t work. The last thing I wanted to due was try and troubleshoot the electrics of an Italian bike and it was at this moment that I knew this might be the end.

We loaded her on and got one last shot before leaving for lunch. There was a great restaurant down the road, called Logan’s, that left a lasting impression a few weeks prior They didn’t have the Logan burger (a pound of Sirloin mixed with cheese and bacon) available on the lunch menu so I tried a Buffalo burger. This thing is almost a half pound of sirloin battered in chicken batter and deep fried before being coated in buffalo wing sauce and served with a blue cheese topping. This burger, alone, was worth making the trip. It was quickly followed by a beer brewed in Vermont, the name of which escapes me, but its taste still haunts me.

We spent the rest of the day driving around the Adirondacks before heading home Sunday. There’s something special about that area.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Week of July 30

Insurance adjusters came and went over the last few weeks until I received the call I dreaded; the bike was being declared a “write off” and I was made an offer. I was expecting the worst but instead received a nice surprise when the offer made was a lot more than fair. I entertained the thought of buying Bella back but, in the end, I really don’t have time to fix the bike and had no desire to track down parts.

Mid week, I made a decision to just look at new bikes. I was sure I didn’t want another super sport but I liked the Hyper motards so I figured I’d price them out. I got no love from the local Ducati dealership so I drove to the BMW Motorad dealership next door. Over the course of the next hour, I had a great conversation with the two salesmen and sat on a couple bikes. For some reason, the G650GS Sertao really grabbed my attention; it was the perfect size and height for me. As well, I had become more of a tourer than a sport bike rider so it had all the elements that I enjoy in a bike.

I told the guys I’d think it over but I wasn’t looking for a bike till the next year.

I spent the week in Sauble Beach with the wife and kids thinking things over and taking pictures. I think my wife makes for good print in a Corona advert.

Week of August 6th

“Well love, it looks like you won the bet”. I spent the weekend thinking my bike situation over and, with the generous settlement I received from the insurance company, felt that I can afford a new bike. The Sertao left a big impression on me so I informed my wife that I would be buying and called the dealership. They told me it would be ready by the weekend, unfortunately, my cast wasn’t scheduled to come off till next week. I thought about my predicament while drinking a couple beer and decided I can fix the issue simply by cutting the cast off myself. Let me tell you, that was a real chore, those fibreglass casts are built pretty strong.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Week of August 6th

“Well love, it looks like you won the bet”. I spent the weekend thinking my bike situation over and, with the generous settlement I received from the insurance company, felt that I can afford a new bike. The Sertao left a big impression on me so I informed my wife that I would be buying and called the dealership. They told me it would be ready by the weekend, unfortunately, my cast wasn’t scheduled to come off till next week. I thought about my predicament while drinking a couple beer and decided I can fix the issue simply by cutting the cast off myself. Let me tell you, that was a real chore, those fibreglass casts are built pretty strong.

Saturday Aug 11

I picked up my new bike along with a new jacket. I found out my old pants had holes all over them and the right zipper didn’t work so I ordered pants as well. It was raining cats and dogs outside but I didn’t care, I was back on the bike.

My first impression of the bike was that it was tall, really tall. I almost dropped it in the parking lot because I couldn’t quite flat foot it. The second impression was that it lacked the power of my Ducati. Well duh! I was told it would gain power as it broke in. Regardless, there was enough power on tap to zip around nicely. Thirdly, it was easily the most comfortable bike I’ve ever been on. Perfect ergonomics.

My first order of business was to head out to Hamilton to Dual Sport Plus and start on the farkles. I extended the windscreen about 4” at that was enough to calm things down inside my helmet. I also put my name in for an ADV ride to benefit a fallen rider. Dave Morrison had hit a dear on the Cabet Trail a week after I hit the bear. I lived, he didn’t. Life is just so random. I knew Dave’s mom from having worked with her until her retirement. Doing this ride was the least I could do. Next, I went out to Barrie to visit a friend. On the way back, I rode through the Forks of the Credit, a nice twisty road to get the feel for riding back. The ride for Dave was the next day and I didn’t want to be a liability. All together, I did close to 500 kilometers on my first day back on the new bike. It was just what I needed.

Sunday Aug 12

I met the other riders for the memorial ride for Dave Morrison. We had a nice course laid out that encompassed some dirt, gravel, and pavement over a little more than 200 kms.

Course planner. Notice the old Porsche in the background.

More than 60 riders turned out.

First official shot of the bike

We stopped half way for some eats

Properly mudded

before finishing off the ride with a raffle.

This was pretty much my first full day on the bike and the first time on gravel and dirt since I was a kid and it was great to get some advice from people that have seen and done pretty much everything there is to do on a dual sport.

From here, I rode out to Guelph because, well, just because. I had the time so why not.

It was around this time I started receiving texts from a buddy of mine about a ride down Pittsburgh at the end of the month. Well, I’d have to run that one by my wife but I won’t discount the idea. I have a friend that lives North of the city who shares my passion for good beer and introduced me to North Country Brewery in Slippery Rock PA last year. I’ve been dying to go back since.

The next couple weeks involved a lot of riding and planning for my trip to PA. Farkles began arriving, which consisted of a rack for a top case and a top case. I also picked up my BMW riding pants for the trip and broke all the gear in. My summer was finally starting.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Redemption

The date of the trip to PA was set for Saturday August 25th. I really have to thank my wife for this one as she had to move her schedule around to make this happen. This trip was really important for me to erase what happened during the last one and to get back some of that riding confidence you seem to lose when you get into an accident. It was time to get back into the game. This time, I was riding south with a friend from the EX-500 forum, Jeff. He was a couple riders behind me when I hit the bear in the Adirondacks and I was glad he convinced me to go.

I took a couple shots of the new girl before leaving. I think the doubts were still there on some level.

We met up at my place and left in the afternoon for Evans City PA. I’d been down there a few times and was familiar with the route. It took me only 5 hours last year and I figured we’d have time to take it easy with lots of stops; Jeff was still new to long distance riding and after the first fill-up I thought it best to stop every hour to stay fresh. You know what they say about “best laid plans” though. We hit extremely heavy traffic in Hamilton in 30 degree heat and it followed us all the way to Niagara Falls. The last 30 minutes to Erie was better then we hit the border.

Now, I’m normally a patient guy, but this crossing was a disaster. There was a huge line-up and, once over the bridge, the border patrol decided to shut down the gate our lane led to without shutting down the lane. That’s when total stupidity took over. Some asshat in a Prius decided to plow his shit box into the back of a Civic, cracking up the front end of his car. How does this happen? In a line-up that is stopped dead with traffic? Of course, this happened in the lane Jeff and I were in so now we had to move over another lane. All this in soaring temperatures that were leaving us melting under the sun. I was not pleased. Once across the border, we decided to ride as far as we could if for no other reason than to just cool off. I had my evaporative vest on but it only works if you’re moving so I pretty much was marinating in it for the last couple hours. We gassed up in Erie then headed south in the late afternoon. It was great to be on the bike again.

We arrived at our friend Ray around 8:30pm. As soon as we got off the bike, Jeff turned to me and said “Did you see the dead deer on the side of the road coming in to Evans City?”. No, and I’m glad I didn’t. I was spooked enough, that’s a scene I didn’t need. Ray had some great beer and food all ready to cook up so we spent the night feasting and talking about riding. Tomorrow, Ray would be taking us into Pittsburgh where we would visit a couple breweries and Premonti’s.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Redemption

Sunday August 26

Ah Sunday’s and hang-overs. It goes together like PB&J. Breakfast of bacon and eggs helped some but this was more severe than most for some reason. No matter, it was time to head into Pittsburgh.

On the way, we had to stop by Ray’s work for him to fill up some vats of chemicals.

He polishes and chromes metal for living. It was quite the production. He showed the before and after pieces; some of which were pretty crumpled up. But when Ray was finished with it, it looked like it just rolled off an assembly line.

Just out of the tank. Next up is a buffing.

Most of the metal used in platting attaches itself to the electrodes.

Ray took us the long way into the city so that we’d immerge from the tunnel from the south end. Traffic was pretty heavy though and it felt like it took forever to get there but the payoff was worth the trouble.

http://youtu.be/J-VOQMr71o8

Start at the 3:40 mark and you get an idea of the eye full you get of the city as you exit the tunnel.

I was expecting a real shit hole of a city but what I found, instead, was a city in the midst of a revitalization. There were signs of it’s Steel Town past everywhere but it had transformed itself, somehow, into something very inviting.

First stop was Premonti’s. Ray and Jeff had talked a lot about this place but I had never heard of it. I was told to be ready to get my feedbag on. As we were parking, a couple low riders rolled up and parked beside us. I had never seen these cars up close before, they were engineering works of art.

I had never had anything like this sandwich. Meat, fries, coleslaw, all together in a bun. I damn near broke my jaw trying to eat it but I was glad I came. It was no wonder this place had survived the years.

Next up, we had to find a place for Jeff to get some American money. We ended up in an older part of town

at a bank just down the road from a bar called Fat Heads which is dedicated to the art of microbrewery.

Being on bikes, we could only sample a couple beers but, since my top case was only half empty, we brought 12 back with us. It was definately my kind of bar with the cramped space forcing patrons to get to know each other.

Don't ask what's on tap, the response might take awhile

We left Fat Heads for the bluffs on the outskirts of the city. I think it was here that I fell in love with Pittsburgh. It was easy to see why settlers found this to be an ideal place to live.

Riding up the side of the bluff

Spectacular views

Barge floating along the river

The barge was making great time without the traffic

From what I understand, the top of the bluffs is where the working class used to live and they had to negotiate the cliffs every day to get to work.

The next place to visit was the Church Brew Works on the other side of the city.

Apparently, this church had been sold off and the new owners thought it a good idea to found a brewery there.

Honestly, I like where their head’s at. The beer wasn’t anything remarkable but they did a nice job on the décor.

Now THAT'S a church!

The sun was starting to set so Ray took us over to the University (can’t remember the name) and we went to the top of their tallest building as sunset.

City of bridges for good reason

After a harrowing ride on backroads in the dark, after I swore I wouldn’t do that again, we drank the night away sampling our take from Fat Heads.

"So many legs, so little time"

A beer cider

homme de fer screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 07:15 AM Reason: Added pictures
Old 10-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Redemption Continued

Monday August 27

Funny that, no hangover today. We were and out of the house early to get to Cycle Gear north of Pittsburgh. We had planned for some riding along back roads and an evening at North Country Brewery in Harmony. First, we wanted to see what deals we can score.

For myself, I was looking for dual sport helmet as my old Arai wasn’t quite cutting it anymore. We managed to find some little things but the helmets were priced any different than Canada. Jeff managed to find an evaporative vest and other gear to stay cool in high heat.

It was nice out but we can tell that rain was pending so we lit out for McConnells Mills State Park.

I was there last year and loved its remoteness. The glaciers really did a number on this area and left behind cliffs and large boulders strewn all along the river.

It had started to rain off and on along the way but not enough to get the better of us. Jeff then got it in his head that he wanted to go swimming to which Ray replied that there was a swimming hole only 15 minutes away along the same river. The hitch is that it’s about a 15 – 20 minute hike of the road. Well, it wasn’t like we had anywhere to be today so we rode out to Kennedy Mills, parked our bikes on the side of the road, and started hiking.

It started out easily enough but the trail got progressively worse until it started raining, then it got mucky. No turning back now. Along the way, we found some cliff painting only Jeff could appreciate (look closely).

Arriving at the swim site, we can tell it was well used. It was the perfect place to spend a weekend drinking and swimming without hassle others seeing as we were in the middle of no where in the state park. At this point, the drizzle turned into a steady light rain. Meh, our stuff will be fine under the trees. Jeff and I jumped in while Ray had the good sense to stay away from the water. The water was cold as fuck and really woke us up. The river started swelling as the rain fell, turning from a steady light rain to a downpour. We sat in the river for at least a half hour, soaking in the beauty of having the river to ourselves and talking about all things motorcycling. This place was magic and I’ll be sure to return.

Getting out of the water, we quickly found out the trees offered no respite for our gear; it was absolutely soaked. By the time we got back the bike, we were freezing, soaked, and muddy from walking the trail that had turned into a quagmire. Still, it was all good fun. We road the hour back to Ray’s through intermittent rain, through our gear in the dryer and did our best to warm up before leaving for North Country.

For those that haven’t had the pleasure, I will say that it is the best bar I’ve ever been to for food and beer. The only alcohol they serve is brewed by them and most of the food on the menu comes from the farm they own. It doesn’t get better than that.

We had some frog legs and various dips as apps and washed it down with beer platters. I wanted to try all the beer on their menu but, sadly, don’t have the constitution to down 18 pints. The smaller platters were perfect.

The black and blue burger was next. I can’t say enough about, simply the greatest burger ever.

All this happened while a bluegrass band played on downstairs.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #12
homme de fer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tuesday August 28

First, a couple shots I forgot to post about the night before.

A beer drinker's slice of heaven, North Country Brewery

Frog Legs

The bar

This report really dragged on. We were up and out early this morning and dropped the key to the house off at Ray’s work, said our goodbye’s, and hightailed it back towards Canada.

I needed to make it back at a decent time to “relieve” my wife from full time parenting duties and give her the break she so needed. I told Jeff that if we drove from tank to tank, we can make it to Buffalo for lunch and I’d take him somewhere special.

Schwabl’s is the kind of place that never disappoints.

A quick hop over the border and we were home before 4pm. Thankfully, no animals were harmed by us on this trip. That alone made the trip worth it because I felt my “old self” start to seep back in.

It’s been a few months now and we’re heading into the last month/weeks of riding up here. Nothing much has changed from the trip till now other than having found out my wrist is still broken. There was talk of another cast but they needed a CT Scan to see what kind of healing had happened to see if it warranted surgery with a pin. I haven’t gone back for the cast seeing as I’m really enjoying riding again. The plan is to get another couple weeks in before going into hibernation. At that point, I really don’t care much about what is done with the arm as long as it's healed up before the end of February and the start of the next great adventure.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #13
rayycc1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great write up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heal up brother...next summer will be great fun...looking forward to it !
rayycc1 is offline   Reply With Quote