User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
stef OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Question Convince me to sell mine and buy a 800GS

They've been around for a while now and the look is growing on me, except for the well documented reservoir location/size.

I love my 690 Enduro, but feel it might need to go as the often highway riding is killing me, not to mention the wife hitching the odd ride for fun. No need to compare these two please, as they are different. Any glitches or monsters I should be looking out for.

Wish I could keep both. Maybe I should take the 800 for a test ride, you never know?
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
I'm thinking of ditching my 800 for a 690 R.
Where are you located?
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
stef OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
I'm thinking of ditching my 800 for a 690 R.
Where are you located?
I'm in England, own the E model which still puts a smile on my face. Why dya wanna ditch the 800?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
stef OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanI
I have had a look for more info regarding the pros and cons of the 800 here, but would appreciate more updated info of recent weeks and latest 800's.

Must say, took a 990 the other day for a spin and it was great.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
The most convincing thing I could tell you is that most of the early beta testers on this forum (including myself) seem to still have them (sometimes much modified) and still seem to have a soft spot for them despite a few problems, most of which have been fixed on later models.

Since you have a KTM 690, I'm surprised you haven't considered the KTM 990. It sounds like a great bike ... good suspension, great motor. I personally don't really want one ... too heavy, turning circle like a truck, not very economical, time consuming maintenance, and so on.

Most of the F800 shortcomings are fairly easily fixed ... seat, screen, but the front suspension seems to be a bit of a problem. I have Hyperpro progressive springs, and it pretty good, but I would like something a bit better and most of the options like Ohlins seem to cost quite a bit.

Summary ... The 800 is a good bike and is more fun than you think it's going to be. It's quite capable if you understand it's limitations and there is a mod or farkle for just about everything you could imagine.

And now a few photos of F800's in action ...

Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
And now a few photos of F800's in action ...
Yikes, have you checked your shock bolt yet, because I think those are still in the "beta testing" phase.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 630
I want a video of that jump!
Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos
Yikes, have you checked your shock bolt yet, because I think those are still in the "beta testing" phase.

God Bless,
David
It has the IndyUnlimited shock bolt reinforcement ... so hopefully it is OK!

The real problem with jumps like that is the forks ... even with the Hyperpro progressive springs it still bottoms pretty badly. It's also not the sort of thing you would do very often!
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
stef OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=Ducksbane]

Most of the F800 shortcomings are fairly easily fixed ... seat, screen, but the front suspension seems to be a bit of a problem. I have Hyperpro progressive springs, and it pretty good, but I would like something a bit better and most of the options like Ohlins seem to cost quite a bit.

Summary ... The 800 is a good bike and is more fun than you think it's going to be. It's quite capable if you understand it's limitations and there is a mod or farkle for just about everything you could imagine.

Thanks for the pics and all, there is surely not a perfect bike out there.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef

Convince me to sell mine and buy a 800GS

I love my 690 Enduro, but feel it might need to go as the often highway riding is killing me
If you need to be convinced to change bikes, chances are you are sufficiently happy with what you have and don't really want to spend the money on a new one.

If as you say the 690 is killing you on the highway and you really need a different bike but just need to decide which one, my advice is -

Do some paper research and make yourself a short list of the ones that, on paper, meet your needs.

Take that short list, go ride them all, and buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face and leaves you feeling "God, I gotta have that thing!"

In my opinion, if you buy a bike because someone else convinced you to, chances are, you will never be really happy with it.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
ZXMorty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Those are some great pics, that is a lot of bike to be getting that much air. I bet you would go crazy (or have) on a 250cc moto-x bike.
ZXMorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
I love my 800GS.

I've had it for a year and logged on 8k miles this summer without a problem.

I put it up for sale this fall (I normally keep my bikes a year) but every time someone came to look at it, I felt awful. So far, it's the bike that fits me the best. Period.
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleiosGS
I love my 800GS.

I've had it for a year and logged on 8k miles this summer without a problem.

I put it up for sale this fall (I normally keep my bikes a year) but every time someone came to look at it, I felt awful. So far, it's the bike that fits me the best. Period.
Why were you selling it? Is it just habit of changing it every year?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,371
I've been thinking a lot about the 690 recently, but every time I decide to keep the 800. It just fits my riding style better, which involves a lot of long distance and regular 2-up. I'm willing to accept the extra weight/hassle off road, and the 800 has more off road capability than I personally even use in a dual sport.

I feel like the 690 is a dirtbike tweaked for road use, and the 800 is a dirt-capable road bike. The latter is a better fit for me personally.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:52 AM   #15
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Beardylocks
I've been thinking a lot about the 690 recently, but every time I decide to keep the 800. It just fits my riding style better, which involves a lot of long distance and regular 2-up. I'm willing to accept the extra weight/hassle off road, and the 800 has more off road capability than I personally even use in a dual sport.

I feel like the 690 is a dirtbike tweaked for road use, and the 800 is a dirt-capable road bike. The latter is a better fit for me personally.
Sums up the way I feel about mine perfectly. After a go on a mate's one, I've been tempted by the 690 and the bikes are great fun, but I do too much superslab and dual carriageway (through necessity, not choice) to accept their shortcomings in this department for the improvement in offroading (which I'm a novice at anyway). If I only rode recreationally and had a shortish distance to go to trails, or trailered my bike there, I think the 690 would be the bike for me. As it is, the 800 is near-perfect, when it isn't in the garage.