User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
abhibeckert OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Thumb Teaching others to ride

A friend of a friend helped us out a while back, by taking a load of rubbish to the dump in his small truck, and I've felt like I owe him one ever since... Must have been at least $50 in fuel alone. The other day I found out he recently got his learner bike license, but had never ridden on the road. He only rides around his back yard on a rust-covered unregistered TT 650 his mate gave him.

In Australia, learners are only allowed to ride within sight of someone who's had their open license for at least 12 months, so I offered to take him on his first ride.

I have an old XR 250R, which hardly ever gets ridden but runs well and is registered. He turned up at my house yesterday with hardly any riding gear. Just work boots, good thick jeans and a helmet. I gave him my jacket and gloves, and rode squid myself, counting on the fact he wouldn't ride very fast... particularly since I had an almost completely worn out road tyre on the back of my KTM 690E.

I followed him down about 50km of highway, which went fine apart from a few encounters with trucks. Took him a while to get the hang of shifting gears and he didn't go much over 80kph in the beginning. I could tell he was riding perfectly, just needed to build up some confidence. We stopped for a cuppa at his house, where he raved about how much fun he was having, then headed off again, doing about 40km of gravel road past some campsites. On the dirt he went fast enough in the corners I really wish I had gloves/jacket and more grip on my rear tyre (his XR was running near-new knobbies). Then another 60km of highway back to my house, this time he was totally comfortable sitting on 100kph the whole way.

I have to admit I was riding too slow and cautious to have fun, but he absolutely loved it! Said it was the most fun he's had in years, and thanked me over and over. We're planning to go on a longer ride next weekend. He'll be buying himself some riding gear by then (and I'll have replaced my rear tyre).

For anyone who's never taught a mate to ride... I strongly recommend it! Reminds me how much I loved my first few months of riding!
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,524
perhaps would be a better fit in "Perfect Lines/Myths"
Old 11-10-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Perry B
Perry B

Oddometer: 135
A fun read!

THANKS.. a joy to read.
You did all that.. and on the WRONG side of the road...
Perry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Good story, thanks for sharing.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
great thread.... wonderful story
thanks for sharing
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
There is nothing more fun or gratifying than bringing a new rider on line. I've done it dozens of times (and wives all hate me for it), but it really is a wonderful feeling to introduce someone else to the joy of our sport. Good for you.