ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2004, 05:20 AM   #31
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbob
Come one, come all! Fri Dec 31 9:00am at Toosy's. Where we go from there is strictly up to the group.
I'm in! I'll go where I can, and if y'all head into some too-nasty stuff, I'll just bail and ride the twisties all afternoon.

BTW, Toosy's is the place at the "end" of 400, on the East side, always crammed with bikes . . . right?
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:55 AM   #32
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,287
Wicked

Hey guys I will be going for sure. Grey ghost I will be leaving marietta around 7 am or so. If you would like to ride up together let me know where to met you. Dirty south 400, I will meet you at 108 and 575 gas station on the hill 8 am. That should give us time to get to tootsies by 9 am. cbob don`t worry about a thing I know most of the dirt roads pretty well. The more dirt the better,but can have a blast on pavement as well. Let me know If this works. I am ready!!!
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:56 AM   #33
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,613
YO! I, Flux Capacitor, Dirty's legendary 'bud', will unfortunately be unable to make it this Friday. I wish I could, but some other crap has kept me up. It's always something is it not? You all sound pretty cool to me, though, and I hope one day we all shall meet for some excursions. I do have a q for y'all: Heated grips...I don't think the DRZ has enough juice to run them. Dirty, you may need some other sort of power bud if I'm not mistaken. You kids ride safe now, and watch out for Dirty, he likes to fall ;)
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:11 AM   #34
teebow
Adv Wannabe

Oddometer: 4
RE: N GA Holiday Ride

All, am new to Adv riding, just bought KTM 950 over Thanksgiving. All riding has been on-road, I'll need to get in some practice on trail riding before slowing down you guys. Been looking for other Adv riders in North Georgia. As it is, I have to work this Friday. Would definitely be interested in ride another time.

Have fun!
'02 Yamaha VStar 1100 (soon-to-be sold)
teebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:21 AM   #35
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
YO! I, Flux Capacitor, Dirty's legendary 'bud', will unfortunately be unable to make it this Friday. I wish I could, but some other crap has kept me up. It's always something is it not? You all sound pretty cool to me, though, and I hope one day we all shall meet for some excursions. I do have a q for y'all: Heated grips...I don't think the DRZ has enough juice to run them. Dirty, you may need some other sort of power bud if I'm not mistaken. You kids ride safe now, and watch out for Dirty, he likes to fall ;)
Flux hate to hear about crap coming up, you being from dawsonville you might could have shown me some new back roads and what not. Dont worry about dirty we will pick him up dust him off if needed. I`m sure we will see you around sooner or later.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:33 AM   #36
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebow
All, am new to Adv riding, just bought KTM 950 over Thanksgiving. All riding has been on-road, I'll need to get in some practice on trail riding before slowing down you guys. Been looking for other Adv riders in North Georgia. As it is, I have to work this Friday. Would definitely be interested in ride another time.

Have fun!
Keep checking this site, I plan on riding alot this year. This ride will be mostly dirt roads not trails. The 950 should be very good on these roads, but the gravel can be very tricky if your not used to it. The only way your going to learn is get out there and do it. However if I had no dirt experience I would start out total offroad on something lighter with full knobbies till I had the idea.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:17 AM   #37
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Hey guys I will be going for sure. Grey ghost I will be leaving marietta around 7 am or so. If you would like to ride up together let me know where to met you. Dirty south 400, I will meet you at 108 and 575 gas station on the hill 8 am. That should give us time to get to tootsies by 9 am. cbob don`t worry about a thing I know most of the dirt roads pretty well. The more dirt the better,but can have a blast on pavement as well. Let me know If this works. I am ready!!!
You think only an hour from 108/515 to Tootsys?? That will be close if we take 53 to 400 and then flogg it up to Tootsy's. If we go 53 to 9 to 60 to Tootsy's it will be 1;20-30.

I have been both ways many times but, whatever the group decides. There will be myself, meathead, and GBWAB leaving from May-retta.

Anyone else??

04 950A Scoot (Gone but not forgotten)
03 GL1800 Toad

I guess it often comes down to "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". - FastEddieB
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:32 AM   #38
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Group Ride Etiquette!

I am sure CBob our Ride Capitan (RC) will be along to explain that no one is left behind. If you are going to leave the group the RC must be informed. A group of friends of mine went riding and one of the guys just turned up missing. They thought he had left the group. They found his body 3 days later.... you get the picture. There will be fast guys and slow guys. The fast guys will go until there is a fork or turn and then they stop and wait for the slower riders. I don't expect a fast rider to slow their pace to match mine and I don't expect a slower rider to ride above their safe level to keep up with me. We all have to ride our own rides. When we stop to rest/chat and get to know each other better that is always a beautiful thing and I really enjoy those rest stops. It is shaping up to be a great ride.

I do know a few of the FS roads and most of the roads between Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Hiawasse, and Suches.

03 GL1800 Toad

I guess it often comes down to "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". - FastEddieB
Old 12-28-2004, 08:32 AM   #39
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost
I am sure CBob our Ride Capitan (RC) will be along to explain that no one is left behind. If you are going to leave the group the RC must be informed. A group of friends of mine went riding and one of the guys just turned up missing. They thought he had left the group. They found his body 3 days later.... you get the picture. There will be fast guys and slow guys. The fast guys will go until there is a fork or turn and then they stop and wait for the slower riders. I don't expect a fast rider to slow their pace to match mine and I don't expect a slower rider to ride above their safe level to keep up with me. We all have to ride our own rides. When we stop to rest/chat and get to know each other better that is always a beautiful thing and I really enjoy those rest stops. It is shaping up to be a great ride.

I do know a few of the FS roads and most of the roads between Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Hiawasse, and Suches.
Grey Ghost you may have a point, you seem to be older and wiser. Maybe we should leave marietta at 6:30 am meet dirty at 7:30 am. That would give us plenty of time. I have never timed it, but did not think it was that far. You are probably rite though as I usually ride alone take roads I have never ridden, and never look at my watch. A few weeks ago I ended up in tellico plains, Got gas looked at my watch and it was 4:45. I was suppose to be home at 6:00 pm, ya I was late!! Let me know what works and i will be there.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:42 AM   #40
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Question

Total Est. Time: 58 minutes Total Est. Distance: 38.63 miles 1:Start out going NORTHWEST on S EAST ST toward GA-53/GA-754/E CHURCH ST.<0.1 milesMap2:Turn RIGHT onto GA-53/GA-754/E CHURCH ST. Continue to follow GA-53/GA-754.4.7 milesMap3:Turn LEFT onto GA-53/SAM TATE HWY. Continue to follow GA-53.19.2 milesMap4:Enter next roundabout and take 3rd exit onto GA-9 N.14.0 milesMap5:Turn LEFT onto GA-52/GA-9/W MAIN ST. Continue to follow GA-52 E/W MAIN ST.0.5 milesMap6:End at Dahlonega, GA US
Old 12-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #41
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
If you guys were going to ride around T.W.O. (even though they are closed) why don't you meet around that area?

Just a thought.

Not commited yet, but looks like I will be there as well!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:01 PM   #42
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog

What'cha bringin'?

. . . Bring the XR! Bring the XR!
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:09 PM   #43
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Meeting at TWO??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
If you guys were going to ride around T.W.O. (even though they are closed) why don't you meet around that area?

Just a thought.

Thats not a bad idea. I would take the Marietta/Catersville/etc. crowd uo 575 and go over the mountain either on pavement or the FS roads. It would be better to meet at 10:00 instead of 9. But, it's not my call.

CBob are you there??

03 GL1800 Toad

Old 12-28-2004, 12:18 PM   #44
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead
What'cha bringin'?
. . . Bring the XR! Bring the XR!
Not sure, probably the GS.

If I take the XR I will probably trailer it up to Suches. I did just walk back into the office with a shiney new tag for the XR! Street damned legal!

Not sure what my work schedule is. I might have to work a 1/2 day.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:25 PM   #45
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost
Thats not a bad idea. I would take the Marietta/Catersville/etc. crowd uo 575 and go over the mountain either on pavement or the FS roads. It would be better to meet at 10:00 instead of 9. But, it's not my call.

CBob are you there??
Of the Post Office in Suches, downtown Dahlonega? Just seems the Marietta guys are covering alot of ground to get there!