Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2002, 04:29 PM   #46
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally posted by stevenknapp
Ok, I'm not suggesting you do this or anything...but here is a story.

At work our PC's have 24hr turnaround support. The trick is convincing them that something is broken. Is it the CD-RW drive, or the software, or the.....you know it's the drive and maybe you just want to hurry things along.

So you go into the lab, you find one of the ignition test rigs, and you fire a few kV into the CD-RW drive. Totally dead. No markings visable. It get's fixed.

Never done it...but just a thought. :):
I see where youy are heading, but the modulator ..has no wiring to it...it all down with pressure and a complete seal unit,..so a leak would be the go

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:13 PM   #47
fish OP
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Quote:
Originally posted by SKINNY
I was told that no repairs would be made without a parts failure.
everybody is told that, skinny. The fact is, that it IS a failure...a design failure.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:14 PM   #48
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
a better copy of the doc. the link up there before is gonna break now

http://groups.msn.com/Zerhackermanns...to&PhotoID=328

Chopperman screwed with this post 08-24-2002 at 02:11 AM
Chopperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:56 PM   #49
P. Urquell
Martini Taste Tester

Oddometer: 923
VIN system?

How does BMW's VIN work? Post ZE-whatever number has the new modulators, software, etc. But what's post ZE? Does it simply increment ZF, ZG, ZH,....? I've been casually shopping for a lightly used RT and every VIN I come across is WB... I'm assuming that's pre-service bulletin brakes. Am I correct?

Thanks
P. Urquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 03:45 AM   #50
HardCoreCommute
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Look at the other end of the number. The last five digits are preceded by two letters.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:04 AM   #51
P. Urquell
Martini Taste Tester

Eh? Huh?

OK. I guess I did a piss-poor job of phrasing my last question.

BMW states that, "Starting with US model VIN ZE 67455, the R 1150 RT received a revised ABS...."

Now how does the VIN increment? ZF, ZG, ZH, etc.?
Old 08-24-2002, 06:20 AM   #52
sven
Hard Rider

Oddometer: 604
ZE numbers

The last seven figures of the VIN for my (dear departed) 02 RT started with "ZE" and the numbers were sequentially later than the 87455 mentioned in the TSB. My just puchased, slightly used 02 F650GSA also has the "ZE" in the same place in the VIN number, so it must be part of some BMW designation code.

Hell, when I sold my 02 RT last week, I showed the guy the TSB and the required later ZE number on my title. That, and the fact it was Black, certainly helped seal the deal. By the way, the brakes were perfect for me, no cycling over rough pavement, ever.

My RT also had the "6" instead of the "E" on the RID. I don't know if there is any correlation between these two mid-year changes.

The BMW model year designations seem rather random. My 02 Black RT was purchased in May and had a March build date stamped on the frame. The 03 Black RT on my dealer's showroom floor arrived in late July and had a June build date. Damned if I could find ANY difference between the two.

Which, of course, I pointed out to my buyer.

sven screwed with this post 08-24-2002 at 06:25 AM
sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 07:07 AM   #53
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,783
This came up with me and my dealer months ago. My bike is an early #, and should be covered. I was told "no cigar".
There is also a bulletin on their wall about the speedo error. It has some bullshit about how it is designed that way to allow for different size tires and will always be able to read high! It even says that the feds allow a 20% faster than actual reading. What a load of shit.
One more gem: my rear diff pinion seal just got replaced under warranty. The guy in parts says that they have been replacing a bunch of em, but there is no recall on that either. I may be a little slow, but I think that gear oil on the rear tire is a safety issue! He says that the spring in the seal is different. They had a whole bunch of bikes go out with a weak spring in the seal.
I love the RT, but if they recognize a safety issue, something must be done. I would recommend that at the very least, you get a registered letter out to your dealer stating that you are aware of the safety update on the brakes, and requesting that your bike be included. Then, if they do nothing, you will at least be guaranteed a big payday when you T-Bone a cage!
Put me on your list, Freakster.
Gordy
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 10:59 AM   #54
Yep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Count me in...

Add me to the list... just about blew a gasket (my sfinkter) going over some railroad tracks last week.
Yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 11:33 AM   #55
fish OP
Banned

Re: Count me in...

Quote:
Originally posted by Yep
Add me to the list... just about blew a gasket (my sfinkter) going over some railroad tracks last week.
welcome to the asylum and the sphincter pucker club, Yep
Old 08-24-2002, 11:35 AM   #56
P. Urquell
Martini Taste Tester

Thumb Thanks for the VIN answer.

Thanks to HardCore and Sven for the answer. HardCore got it right, but I was too stupid to comprehend the it the first time around.

Speaking of stupid -- I'm doing my 12k service. It's taken me 4hrs so far to change the air filter and spark plugs and adjust the valves. Maybe another 1hr and I'll be done with the motor and gear oil change.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:16 PM   #57
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,790
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordy
There is also a bulletin on their wall about the speedo error. It has some bullshit about how it is designed that way to allow for different size tires and will always be able to read high! It even says that the feds allow a 20% faster than actual reading. What a load of shit.
There was an article about this in Car&Driver not too long ago. Yes, it was about Euro auto speedos, but maybe the law is the same over there for bike speedos--something about ensuring that the speedo can *never* read below actual road speed for any conceivable tire combination.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:20 PM   #58
fish OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordy
There is also a bulletin on their wall about the speedo error.
Don't you think it's odd that they want everybody to see the speedo TSB, but nobody to see the brake TSB?
Old 08-24-2002, 12:31 PM   #59
Flash
Sand Boxer

Oddometer: 3,163
Quote:
Originally posted by fish

Don't you think it's odd that they want everybody to see the speedo TSB, but nobody to see the brake TSB?
On the car side, we refer to it as, "Selective Amnesia."
Old 08-24-2002, 12:56 PM   #60
fish OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by HardCoreCommute
What about getting the NHTSA involved? Anybody know if Arch or anyone else has complained to these guys? My concern is that during a collision-avoidance panic stop, a little bump in the road will cause BOTH brakes to cycle the ABS. I've had this happen once or twice. Mostly I don't ride aggressive enough to make the ABS engage. What are the ramifcations of posting a complaint to the FEDs?

Here's the site that I found:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm

I have just submitted my VOQ. I would encourage the rest of you to do the same.

From the NHTSA website:

If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must fix it at no cost to the owner. Your report is the first step in the process.

Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the manufacturer is asked to conduct a recall. If the manufacturer does not initiate a recall, the government can order the manufacturer to do a recall.