User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #121
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
BMW Brakes

Wow, I just noticed the date on this thread. I think I was just reading it from another forum or something. I apologize for not looking at the dates on the post. Sometimes I'm so far in the hole, I can't even afford to pay attention, LOL.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:19 PM   #122
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,868
No prob.
Just for the record. The brakes kinda blow. (That is not as bad as suck)

-G
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 08:13 AM   #123
ophra_hazard
Banned

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish
[rant]I'm pissed at BMW. I've got some issues with my RT that bmwscruz is doing an adequate job of addressing. But I'm pissed at BMW because of their stance on the RT brake issue. They redesigned the rear ABS modulator and cut it into new production some time back. But this doesn't piss me off. What pisses me off is that a particular individual over at mrn posted the TSB about the RT brakes, and BMWNA is coming down hard on him. I can't fucking believe it. They issued a recall for the 1150GS brakeline potentially rubbing on the speedo cable, but not a single word publicly about how the integral ABS senses rear wheel lock-up and releases the front wheel, causing some massive ass-puckering. I've experienced this time and time again, and have grown used to taking it easy in the downhill bumpy stuff, but I don't want to anymore. These are the best brakes in the world and should work as advertised. Too, what I've found is only the most aggressive RT riders complain about this. Average riders only see the massive stopping power in the brakes, but don't take them to the limit necessary to override the design. I wish I could be like that.

Shit...now the blue and white roundel helicopters are going to start watching me.

Can you believe my friend actually got a "cease and desist" letter
from BMWNA to take the image of the RT brake TSB off his website?
[/rant]

What is a TSB? I am not a native speaker. Is this some kind of protocol? What exactly? I do have interest in any case of intervention of BMW worldwide related to failure of these integral-power-brakes.

BTW: I do have contact with a german rider who had the same problem some month ago on a RT 04. Are you sure about the redesign? He had a lock-up of the rear wheel, the situation was dangerous. The front-brake opend, as he described in his e-mail to me. What was the argument?

OH
ophra_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 09:23 AM   #124
Gordy
Team Listo

First off---I had no idea you were a rider.

TSB=technical service bulliten

My BMW dealer denied that this bulletin existed until I showed him a copy.

Glad to be of help Oprah.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:28 PM   #125
ophra_hazard
Banned

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
TSB=technical service bulliten
My BMW dealer denied that this bulletin existed until I showed him a copy.
Thanks, Gordy.

I do have an other question:

Who initiated the recall? The ODI or BMW? This is of great interest for me. How fast did the ODI oder BMW react? Was it important for them?

Did BMW admit the problems with the brake? Did they inform all RT-drivers or all Integral-Brake Bike owners with a note about the problems they face at the event of brake failure?

How can the ODI be convinced that a system may be defective in design? The system is legal, we know that. How could they make up their mind?

OH
ophra_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:58 PM   #126
Gordy
Team Listo

I can't help you with most of this but there is lots of info on this site if you search. If we are talking about the same problem, it is not a failure but a bad design . The rear brake is overly sensitive to lock up, which cycles the abs. This then cycles both brakes when the rear slips. Hang on!! I'll look around, I have a copy of the TSB in my computer. I'll post it later.

gordy
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #127
Trekk0r
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
brake links

links and this
Do you maybe have some more brake links? Or some recommendations?
Trekk0r is offline   Reply With Quote