Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
pumpkintrails OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
ktm 250 exc-f dc wiring

Hi guys,
I have floated the ground on my bike and have installed a trail tech regulator/rectifier but I am having a bit of trouble with the wiring. I understand the 2 wires from the stator go to the 2 yellow wires of the regulator. The red goes to positive and black goes to brown (negative). I am just having trouble finding where to put the 2 yellow wires for the lighting system that unplugged from the stator. Atm they are plugged into a red/yellow wire which I think is positive from the battery because the light works with the bike off. I was wondering what I have to wire up to get the lights running off the stator through the new regulator/rectifier?
Thanks in advance
Attached Images

pumpkintrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
bryantjt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
If I'm not mistaken, you are now a full on DC system and all electrics run off the battery and all of the stator output goes to the battery. You no longer have or need a separate circuit for lighting.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
pumpkintrails OP
n00b

You might be right. From what I hear with the ktm stock about 20w charges the battery dc and 80w ac for lights etc. So I converted it so the whole system is dc so I could run different lights I think they should still run off the stator though if wired correctly
Old 07-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
pumpkintrails OP
n00b

I just put a wire from the red regulator wire (connected to yellow/red) to the negative side of the lighting system where it returns. I started the bike and took the positive lug off the battery so it was running off the stator. The hid light flickered a lot and eventually went out so I put a multimeter from red to negative of lights and the volatage was changing very fast from 7-19 flickering all over the place. The light works fine with the battery on
Old 07-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkintrails View Post
I just put a wire from the red regulator wire (connected to yellow/red) to the negative side of the lighting system where it returns. I started the bike and took the positive lug off the battery so it was running off the stator. The hid light flickered a lot and eventually went out so I put a multimeter from red to negative of lights and the volatage was changing very fast from 7-19 flickering all over the place. The light works fine with the battery on
That's normal. A good test is to put a 10A meter in series with the battery positive or negative, with the HID turned on (not running) the meter should show a negative current draw (pulling juice from the battery) then start it up, at idle it'll still show a negative but as soon as it starts to rev the meter should show it swinging to a positive current flow into the battery, stop before it gets to the meter rating (usually 10A) or you'll damage the meter.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
pumpkintrails OP
n00b

Ok thanks so much for that. so it's really still running off the battery but the stator is putting more amps in than the lights use. I'll try tomorrow and let you know
Thanks
Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
pumpkintrails OP
n00b

I'm sure all the wiring is correct I have put a lug on the blue wire and it is screwed onto the negative terminal with the ground that goes to the frame. When I put my amp meter on the blue wire and rev the bike I am seeing a maximum of 1.7a going into the battery. The adjustment dial is stripped so I don't know what to do there. The recommended for the battery is 0.5a. Then when I turn my lights on the regulator does not change so that it is still putting power into the battery. It just lessens it by 1.7a max.
Thanks

pumpkintrails screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 08:19 PM