Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #31
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Pretty sure that is not a stock carb. I think they just adapted the stock inlet pipe to it.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #32
AaronK
Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
why does it look like the carb gas inlet pipe is pulled out from the carb and about to fall out? isn't the flange on the pipe suppose to be flash against the carb body?
This carb looks like an FCR. I don't recognize the flat plate.
AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
1+ on the IMS 4.9 gallon tank

I would also recommend a Pingel petcock to go with your new tank. It's a very well built simple piece.

Note: I tried a set of tank decals on the IMS.... forget it! They started lifting right off the bat. These are the Kientech ones made for the IMS tank. They even installed them. The fact is, plastic tanks pass gas vapor through their skin and nothing very large will stick to them.

AK
Ive got the giant sticker kit on my tank also,I had to go back and reslit the little slits they put in the stickers to let fumes through,they have stayed on ok with minimal bubbling up. Not perfect though.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #34
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4aaron View Post
This carb looks like an FCR. I don't recognize the flat plate.
I agree ... that is not a BST 40, its an FCR carb.

The Carb inlet fuel pipe is press fit on the stock Carb ... a very tight fit and I would imagine that is as far as they could get it in there without bending or breaking it.

BTW, I've rotated my fuel pipe to the 9 O'clock position :

BST Carb ... inlet tube at 9 'Oclock and inset all the way.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #35
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
Flush on my 07. On closer inspection of the picture it looks like the one in question used to also be flush. You can see a faint mark from where it sat originally. Went back to look at my carb again and the carb body looks slightly different where the inlet pipe goes into it on mine. US thing?
Is that even a BST carb?
looking no. the inlet pipe looks the same though.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #36
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
Pretty sure that is not a stock carb. I think they just adapted the stock inlet pipe to it.
makes sense. thanks
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #37
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,146
Definitely not a BST...
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #38
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,146
Oops, somehow missed the last few posts before I posted...
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #39
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,467
One way to turn the fuel inlet

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=34174

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=34177

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #40
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,400
Just went out and looked and mine is flush ('08) and the tube is vertical.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #41
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,467
Safari next to Stock Tank Pics

Thanks to Northyork:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=33136

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #42
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
Note: I tried a set of tank decals on the IMS.... forget it! They started lifting right off the bat. These are the Kientech ones made for the IMS tank. They even installed them. The fact is, plastic tanks pass gas vapor through their skin and nothing very large will stick to them.AK
The trick with putting decals on plastic tanks is to get a decal with perforations in it to allow the vapors to escape instead of becoming trapped under the vinyl and bubbling up, allowing the fumes break down the adhesive over time.

I worked for a signage/graphics company in the past which specialized in heavy-duty motocross decals. Many of our customers ran the same set of decals for over 2 years. Keep in mind this is track and trail use, so lots of crashes, getting whacked and scraped by bushes and branches, not to mention the abrasion between a dusty dirty bike and the rider's knees while they ride.

Here's a shot of one of the 'vintage' mx bikes we did up some decals for, you can clearly see the holes in the tank decals:

While this won't completely eliminate bubbles, it allows you to minimize large bubbles which will cause the decal to lift. If you see a bubble between the perforations, take a heat gun to the decal and carefully squeegee the bubble towards the edge of the decal or a perforation, and voila... no lifting, no more bubble. If the bubble won't move, just take a pin or exacto knife and make a tiny hole and force the air through the hole with a squeegee.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions on decals... I just put an IMS tank on my 2002 DR last season and plan on creating a decal template for it this season. I'd be happy to pass that along if anyone else is interested in adding some eye-candy to their IMS tank.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #43
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,824
FCR Fuel Inlet

Have successfully rotated the fuel inlet my 39mm FCR-MX carb. For a very simple step-by-step description of how I did it, look here

farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #44
kevdod
lurker

Oddometer: 2
I know this is an old thread, but someone might get some benefit from my experience. I have the large Safari tank and the supplied petcocks started leaking after about 1 year. I purchased the Raptor petcocks to replace, but found that they will not work on the Safari tank without some modification (if you dare).

The Raptor petcock has two inlet "pipes" for the main and reserve, The Safari tank only has one hole to fit the supplied (crappy) petcocks single "pipe" inlet. In other words, the Raptor needs either two holes in the tank or one large hole for both inlets to fit in the tank, the Safari tank only has one hole (which wont fit the two inlets of the Raptor).

I looked at widening the hole on the tank using a rattail file, but it looks like there is not enough space before you run into the molded nuts on each side of the hole. I don't think it is worth ruining the tank, so I guess I am going to send back the Raptors and get the Pingle (which has the single pipe inlet). Ugh.
kevdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #45
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdod View Post
I know this is an old thread, but someone might get some benefit from my experience. I have the large Safari tank and the supplied petcocks started leaking after about 1 year. I purchased the Raptor petcocks to replace, but found that they will not work on the Safari tank without some modification (if you dare).

The Raptor petcock has two inlet "pipes" for the main and reserve, The Safari tank only has one hole to fit the supplied (crappy) petcocks single "pipe" inlet. In other words, the Raptor needs either two holes in the tank or one large hole for both inlets to fit in the tank, the Safari tank only has one hole (which wont fit the two inlets of the Raptor).

I looked at widening the hole on the tank using a rattail file, but it looks like there is not enough space before you run into the molded nuts on each side of the hole. I don't think it is worth ruining the tank, so I guess I am going to send back the Raptors and get the Pingle (which has the single pipe inlet). Ugh.

If your Safari tank is not too old ( I guess its 1 year old) you can sometimes get the petcocks replaced under warranty. I only got 2 years out of my first set and they leaked pretty bad. I'm approaching 3 years on the replacements and so far so good. I will be upgrading to pingel probably this winter though. I figure its only a matter of time till the cheap suckers leak again.

This is an index thread, so it doesn't get old. Your post is great, I never ran a raptor petcock and didn't realize the two hole issue... Thanks for the info.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote