Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #46
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,609
I know the DR650 service manual states not to use fuel with greater than 10% ethanol. Are most of you using E10 figuring the manual says not more than 10% ethanol so you’re good to go, or are you buying premium non-ethanol where available figuring less is better? Not a pro-anti ethanol debate, just wondering what most people are doing based on what the manufacturer recommends.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #47
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I know the DR650 service manual states not to use fuel with greater than 10% ethanol. Are most of you using E10 figuring the manual says not more than 10% ethanol so you’re good to go, or are you buying premium non-ethanol where available figuring less is better? Not a pro-anti ethanol debate, just wondering what most people are doing based on what the manufacturer recommends.
The DR650 runs fine on E-10. I live in the SE and ethanol blends are kinda recent outside the big cities. I've noticed my o-rings get rock hard in about 2 years so, every couple years I replace the rubber stuff when I do a good carb cleaning. My float needle is 3 years old now and its still sealing good.

With that said, I buy non-ethanol fuel when I can. Here in Alabama we have stations with all grades in straight gasoline. At home I only can get regular in non-ethanol, but just to the south there are stations with all three grades. I look for fuel when I get near a large lake. This morning I filled up 60 miles from home with 87 octane 100% gas for $3.57 a gallon. E-10 was $3.55 just down the road near lake Martin I think.

Near I-20 in Oxford, AL I can fill up for $3.27 E-10, but I prefer the real gasoline. I get 2 mpg more with the 100% gas. E-10 is presently $3.48 in my little town and the 100% gas is $3.55 so its pretty close in cost. The bike runs much better on the 100% gas, when I switch to E-10 I have to raise the idle one full turn so it won't die at stop lights.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #48
shu

Oddometer: 979
10% ethanol is the rule on the Colorado Front Range. We've had it for years. I don't even know where I could buy 'pure' gasoline. No problems observed running the DR on it.

..........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #49
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,399
We have a station near where I live that sells Ethanol free, meaning, no Ethanol unleaded fuel. They started offering it about a year ago at $0.10 more per gallon. I decided to try a couple of tanks full.

On the first tank full I gassed up and drove the half-mile home and parked for the night. Then, the next morning I headed out to work and the first thing I noticed was no clatter in the engine on a certain uphill stretch of road that I commute on daily. (As a point of information, I've owned this truck 10 years and it has 146,000 miles on it).

At the end of that tank full I refilled and my Ranger truck got better mpg's. I've watched it since and I routinely get an average 1.5 to 2 mpg better fuel economy in the truck.

So now I run it in all the family vehicles, both bikes, the lawnmower, and the other internal combustion gadgets (chainsaw, blower, etc.). I pay a bit more at the pump but I figure I am getting it back in fuel economy and system longevity.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #50
Tatsudoshi
Farquharson Thumper

Oddometer: 7
Good Day Everyone

I went with the IMS tank for mine along with a Yamaha Roadstar petcock, work's fantastic.
I went from about 190kms to reserve on the stock tank to 320kms to reserve on the IMS but reserve is less, can only go about 40km on reserve.

Take Care
Tatsudoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #51
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Locking gas cap

Last year when I purchased my 4.9 gallon IMS from Kientech I also bought the locking gas cap. Riding the other day my DR started dying. At first I thought it might be water in the gas or a clogged petcock. After switching the petcock back and forth I unscrewed the cap and immediately the bike came back to life. Tightened the cap back down and it died again after a few miles. Gas cap not venting!

I took the cap off and blew into the key hole which is where it vents through. It still continued to not vent. I'm not impressed with this fancy / expensive gas cap. Rode the next 3,200 miles with it half unscrewed and slopping fuel out of the filler neck when filled up.

Think I'll just go back the the stock one with a vent hose. Once again, simpler is better.

AK Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #52
shu

Oddometer: 979
AK Greg- I've had that same problem with my IMS locking gas cap. In fact, I've had 2 of them do the same thing. I like the cap because it doesn't need a vent tube. You can fix them for a while by shooting some carb cleaner through. I think I'm going to pull one apart and see about drilling the vent a little larger.

................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #53
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Bluhduh

I have one of those locking caps too, I guess they all suck. I like to use the locking type in the city.

Mine started leaking or venting fuel poorly pretty quick. From day one it could not handle the fuel sloshing when the tank was full without fuel getting all over the tank. Then even with the fuel at 3/4 it doesn't vent well. I felt like it was a waste of money, I should have sent it back the first week.

I'm back to a stock cap too. At least I'm riding out in the sticks now, no theft issues where I park... So far anyway..
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #54
kevdod
lurker

Oddometer: 2
I also used one of the IMS locking caps on my Safari tank for my DR650. I had emptied the tank and had it off of the bike for some maintenance, and then when I went to put the tank back on the bike I could not get it to fit. I messed around with it for quite a while but could not get it to line up with the bracket that held the front of the tank on to the bike. I then opened the gas cap and "whoosh" the tank shrunk about 10%! Apparently the air in the tank had heated up and the cap had not vented and so the pressure buildup inside the tank made it expand enough that it would not fit back on the bike!

I was rather amazed at this. I figured the tank would of split or burst before it deformed so much. The good news is that once I let the pressure out the tank fit on fine and so far it has not leaked. I can't get the new locking cap to vent, so am just leaving it a bit unscrewed for now. Bummer because I was tired of smelling the gas from the tank coming up through the hose.

Anybody come across a solution to venting the IMS locking cap?
kevdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #55
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
10% ethanol is the rule on the Colorado Front Range. We've had it for years. I don't even know where I could buy 'pure' gasoline. No problems observed running the DR on it.

..........shu
http://pure-gas.org/
http://www.buyrealgas.com/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #56
eakins
Butler Maps

it's designed to let air in but not release fuel/fumes(air) out.
i just unscrew mine at the start of every ride and reattach.
unless i'm leaving the bike in a place i'm concerned about it being messed with it stays unlocked.
if i did not security i would use the IMS cap, but i like having a lock at times so i deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdod View Post
I also used one of the IMS locking caps on my Safari tank for my DR650. I had emptied the tank and had it off of the bike for some maintenance, and then when I went to put the tank back on the bike I could not get it to fit. I messed around with it for quite a while but could not get it to line up with the bracket that held the front of the tank on to the bike. I then opened the gas cap and "whoosh" the tank shrunk about 10%! Apparently the air in the tank had heated up and the cap had not vented and so the pressure buildup inside the tank made it expand enough that it would not fit back on the bike!

I was rather amazed at this. I figured the tank would of split or burst before it deformed so much. The good news is that once I let the pressure out the tank fit on fine and so far it has not leaked. I can't get the new locking cap to vent, so am just leaving it a bit unscrewed for now. Bummer because I was tired of smelling the gas from the tank coming up through the hose.

Anybody come across a solution to venting the IMS locking cap?
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 10-25-2011 at 07:29 PM
Old 10-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #57
eakins
Butler Maps

if you go back to oem IMS cap make sure it's the newer ethanol proof rubber design.

this works great as a check valve
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...dFamilyId=3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
Last year when I purchased my 4.9 gallon IMS from Kientech I also bought the locking gas cap. Riding the other day my DR started dying. At first I thought it might be water in the gas or a clogged petcock. After switching the petcock back and forth I unscrewed the cap and immediately the bike came back to life. Tightened the cap back down and it died again after a few miles. Gas cap not venting!

I took the cap off and blew into the key hole which is where it vents through. It still continued to not vent. I'm not impressed with this fancy / expensive gas cap. Rode the next 3,200 miles with it half unscrewed and slopping fuel out of the filler neck when filled up.

Think I'll just go back the the stock one with a vent hose. Once again, simpler is better.

AK Greg
Butler Maps website:
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #58
eakins
Butler Maps

i run a squirt of Lucas fuel treatment oil in every tank.
i gives lubrication back to the very dry gas that we get today.
it's not a petroleum distillate like other fuel additives , but truly an modified oil.
i notice it when it don't add it. bike runs nicer with it and revs a little easier.
i can believe the increased gas mileage claims as i can feel the reduced friction, but i've never tested that as i ride the DR for fast fun.

been using it for 3 yrs now in my DR. had my carb appart last month to look at everything and it was clean inside, no unusual carb wear and the rubber pieces were still nice and pliable.

i buy a gallon bottle from napa and it last forever between dr fillups. no brainer for me.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...el%20Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
The DR650 runs fine on E-10. I live in the SE and ethanol blends are kinda recent outside the big cities. I've noticed my o-rings get rock hard in about 2 years so, every couple years I replace the rubber stuff when I do a good carb cleaning. My float needle is 3 years old now and its still sealing good.

With that said, I buy non-ethanol fuel when I can. Here in Alabama we have stations with all grades in straight gasoline. At home I only can get regular in non-ethanol, but just to the south there are stations with all three grades. I look for fuel when I get near a large lake. This morning I filled up 60 miles from home with 87 octane 100% gas for $3.57 a gallon. E-10 was $3.55 just down the road near lake Martin I think.

Near I-20 in Oxford, AL I can fill up for $3.27 E-10, but I prefer the real gasoline. I get 2 mpg more with the 100% gas. E-10 is presently $3.48 in my little town and the 100% gas is $3.55 so its pretty close in cost. The bike runs much better on the 100% gas, when I switch to E-10 I have to raise the idle one full turn so it won't die at stop lights.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 10-25-2011 at 07:41 PM
Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #59
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
it's not a petroleum distillate like other fuel additives , but truly an modified oil.
i notice it when it don't add it. bike runs nicer with it and revs a little easier.
i can believe the increased gas mileage claims as i can feel the reduced friction, but i've never tested that as i ride the DR for fast fun.
When I remember, I do a squirt of 2-stroke oil. It does feel like it revs more freely.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #60
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

been using it for 3 yrs now in my DR. had my carb appart last month to look at everything and it was clean inside, no unusual carb wear and the rubber pieces were still nice and pliable.

i buy a gallon bottle from napa and it last forever between dr fillups. no brainer for me.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...el%20Treatment
I've been using the Lucas Fuel Treatment. Is that the same as the Oil Treatment product? The Fuel product works good ... and you guys laughed at me using Marvel Mystery Oil. It works good too! Oil and Gas.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote