Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #61
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,192
no idea if its' the same but i doubt it. lucas has been making legit additives for along time plus a full list of lubricants so i'd guess each product is specific for the job.

i first came to their fuel treatment when i was running my colorado jetted CB750 down at low elevations and it was running hot and poorly (way too lean). i went into a napa and asked they what he thought i could do in a pinch and said try lucas fuel treatment. amazingly it helped the bike run much better and good enough to finish out the trip. i was convinced it helped smooth out engines and i've seen it keep carbs clean. when i've pulled my plugs they look good.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #62
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I've been using the Lucas Fuel Treatment. Is that the same as the Oil Treatment product? The Fuel product works good ... and you guys laughed at me using Marvel Mystery Oil. It works good too! Oil and Gas.
We were laughing 'cause you dress funny.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #63
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
We were laughing 'cause you dress funny.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #64
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
IMS Capacity Feed Back

I've been in Mexico riding for a few weeks so now doing maintenance. Decided to have a look at the IMS fuel tank and petcock as it's not been flushed out, nor petcock cleaned ... ever! 40K on the bike.

Petcock wasn't too bad. Probably from using fuel additives from time to time. I've used Lucas fuel additive, Sea Foam, Marvel Mystery Oil and Chevron Techron.

In Mexico I used "barrel" gas twice on the trip. This from rusty 55 gallon drums.

Here is a pic of my Petcock (stock IMS). Keep in mind the crud shown is on the OUTSIDE of the filter. Filter itself was not bad. I still flushed it out Sea Foam, Carb cleaner and WD40 to flush it all out. Here it is when first came out:

Notice the cracked and failing gasket. I need to contact IMS to get another. But as of now, no leaks.

Since tank was coming off I decided to measure a few things:
1. How much gas is there for reserve?
2. How much gas is left in tank once reserve runs out?

Answers:
1. Reserve contains 64 oz. (1/2 US gallon/ 1.9 liter) Funny though, most times I can only go about 20 miles on reserve. No idea what is up with that. I measured the amount of gas after going to reserve ... so I know 1/2 gallon US is accurate.

2. After reserve ran dry I managed to get over 1/2 gallon US more out of the tank!
I did this by picking tank up and sloshing gas over to petcock side. I did this with petcock out to speed things up. I was amazed how much is hidden in there. This was also measured, so pretty accurate.

I figure if a rider were really stuck out somewhere he could remove tank holding bolts, pick up tank and slosh fuel over to petcock side. This would probably give you a couple float bowls worth of fuel. Then repeat. There is lots in there!

No doubt the IMS expands over time. I've managed to put 5.2 (EDIT ... just checked my notes: Most I've put in is 5 gallons US.) ... and it wasn't confirmed empty at that time.

When I fill it again I will confirm the true capacity ... starting from dead empty. I'd bet it's close to 5.5 gallons US.

EDIT: 11-27-11
Filled tank from dead empty. It took 5.6 US gallons total.

So seems this IMS tank not only expands more than most thought, but holds quite a bit down in the lower lobes after your reserve runs out. Hope someone can make use of
this sometime.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 11-27-2011 at 06:51 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #65
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 557
IMS tank

IMS tank. The only time I ran out of gas with my DR650 with IMS tank I laid bike on left side and moved the gas over from the right side. Got about ten more miles.

TravelGuy
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #66
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
IMS tank. The only time I ran out of gas with my DR650 with IMS tank I laid bike on left side and moved the gas over from the right side. Got about ten more miles.

TravelGuy
Cool! I've done the same thing ... a couple times! But what I found was there is STILL more fuel hiding in there!

Typically, how far were you able to travel on reserve?

For more fuel:
Once the seat is off you can take out the two holding bolts and PICK UP the tank and get even MORE fuel over to the left side lobe/petcock.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #67
livin2day
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyRay View Post
I prefer the IMS fuel tank.
By the way IMS also upgraded the flat rubber petcock gasket to "Viton" to resist failure with the new fuels.
Ive had two of the older style gaskets fail on me and its a PIA to be stranded soaked in fuel.No to mention the fire hazard.
If you are using the older IMS gasket on the petcock,upgrade now and save some trouble in the future.Part #322141-VITON.

Im using the Raptor petcock,have the IMS petcock for a spare...hated the stock vacumm unit.

Just curious what size oring are yall using on the IMS petcock?

What kind of modification on the IMS tank did it take for the Raptor to fit properly?
livin2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #68
livin2day
Adventurer

IMS good enough for SA, sticking to mostly dirt tracks, or is the Safari recommended?

Safari is a lot of money and a lot of weight, so was hoping to go with the IMS and maybe a rotopax 1 gal.

Also considering RTW travel, though, so if I'm gonna need a Safari in the end, might as well get it now and forget about the IMS??
Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #69
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Your choice really. Budget is a consideration. I'm an IMS fan. In places you will have to pay attention to fuel ... and carrying a jug or Rotopax is a good idea.

The Safari is big, kind of bulky ... heavy when filled. You will feel this off road and on steep downhills. Add this to your already fully loaded DR ... and what have you got?

You could just partially fill it, which would help. It's a personal choice. I'm sure there will be times when the Safari will save you. But most times ... with some planning and forethought ... you can find fuel.

Read Misery Goat's "Same As It Ever Was" ride report and Crashmaster's "No Fumar Espanol". both guys on thirsty KTM 950/990's, both did extensive explorations into Peruvian interior. Awesome. They both carried a bit of extra fuel, IIRC.

In Baja (which I know fairly well) you can stay nearly 100% off road. But many of the tracks you won't be happy riding the DR650 unless you're a world class Enduro rider. But there is tons you CAN do (I've done some of it ... and I'm old). Mainland Mexico there are thousands of miles of remote dirt roads through the Sierra. Not really safe traveling is some areas ... like just South of the Copper Canyon.

But the paved roads are spectacular and go everywhere. Pick and choose your dirt excursions carefully.

Can't comment on dirt riding in Cent. America. The Caribe side is worth exploring however. (I lived in Guatemala years ago).

S. America is Huge and every country a world unto it's own. Take one at a time and dissect and catalog all the dirt tracks you can. See Jedimaster's ride report. He's also on a DR650 and is doing excellent documentation of off road routes through out the Andes. Great stuff ... and offers some routes NO ONE has done on Motorcycle.

Good luck with your build.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #70
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

Oddometer: 99
Keep hearing that the Acerbis 6.6gal for 96-on DRs is around the corner. Anyone heard anything lately?
Porrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #71
shu

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin2day View Post
IMS good enough for SA, sticking to mostly dirt tracks, or is the Safari recommended?

Safari is a lot of money and a lot of weight, so was hoping to go with the IMS and maybe a rotopax 1 gal.

Also considering RTW travel, though, so if I'm gonna need a Safari in the end, might as well get it now and forget about the IMS??
I'd go with the IMS myself. It holds 5 gallons of gas without turning the DR into a wallowing pig. Of course, I've never used the Safari so I can't compare them, I just know that I've been satisfied with the IMS.

I haven't traveled through S America, but I have been through Turkey and Central Asia and spent some time in Mexico as well. The old rule "see gas, buy gas" works for me. If I have any doubts at all I'll top off my tank even though I've only gone 30 miles on the tank. There were a few occasions when I wondered if I had enough gas to make it, and one time when I carried an extra 2 gal. strapped on the back of my seat, but I never ran out. 200-250 miles on a tank is almost always going to be enough.

..........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #72
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin2day View Post

If you come to Australia on your RTW ride, depending on the level of adventure you're seeking, there are plenty of remote routes where you'll be glad to have the Safari tank. Mainly because gas stations can be a days ride (or more) apart. For example, on my last 2 desert rides I've carried 40 litres(10.5 gal) of fuel... 33ltrs (8.7gal) in the Safari + 7ltrs in a fuel bladder... not because I wanted to, but because I HAD to. No gas stations out there.

IMHO... for RTW purposes, weight of fuel is an irrelevant factor in determining which tank to buy. The range needed and then the distribution of the weight of fuel are the relevant factors. Only carry the fuel you need. If it is 550km (340mi) between gas stations, I'd rather carry the whole fuel load in the tank up front instead of some in the tank and the rest behind you (over or behind the rear axle). When you're fully loaded on your RTW, the last thing you'll want to do is add weight over the rear axle.

2 cents
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #73
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Sounds like the parts of Oz you're exploring are the most remote places on planet earth. Most places you go on a RTW ride will have fuel stations closer than a days ride.

Seems even Russian, Mongolia and the Stans have fuel within reasonable distance? (dunno, never been, but read lots of reports and saw LWR and Terra Circa and Mondo Enduro)

In Baja I only needed more than 150 mile range once ... but for that section you just stop for barrel gas at at road side truck. I had 220 mile range ... so never a problem.

Parts of Bolivia (Salar de Uyuni ) and interior of Peru' are remote ... but even there you've got gas within about 250 miles or so. So in that case ... if you have a 5 gallon US IMS tank, you can go about 220 miles ... then carry a plastic jug with 7 or 8 liters. After a 100 miles ... dump it in the main tank. Now it's all in one place. This is how we've done it for years when desert riding two strokes ... seems to work out OK.

In all of S. America there are probably only two or three regions where you really have to watch out and carry extra gas. (Baja, Interior of Peru' and Salar in Bolivia, Tierra del fuego/Patagonia)

If you plan to get into parts truly unknown and get lost a lot ... well then the Safari tank makes good sense. You waste a lot of fuel when lost ... constantly doubling back and such.

The other reason a Safari could be good is something that's happening more and more: STRIKES. Strikes are becoming more and more common.
No one gets through ... so panic buying of fuel begins and local stations run out ... and black market gas price goes through the roof. Fuel trucks can't get through. If you have a Safari with 8 gallons ... you may be able to ride out of the area to find gas ... if you can get round the road block. But being on a moto has advantages ... you can almost always buy a gallon or two from someone local.

But most times a full Safari tank is going to mess you up trying to ride deep sand or rough, rocky terrain. I was not fond of the Safari's riding position for standing up on the DR650. The IMS is not great either ... but I guess you can adapt to anything if you have to.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:38 AM   #74
livin2day
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies and some really good points. I'll check out those RR's, Grifter. Gonna have to weigh these options some more. Seems like the IMS with a rotopax will probably do the job but the Safari offers some peace of mind, even if it means more wrestling. I have ZERO off road experience, so that is the main dilemma with the Safari. Plus, that is one SERIOUSLY expensive piece of plastic! That cost alone has me peeking back towards the KLR side. No worries, I'm sold on the DR.

Another point is that the "shortwayround" guy didn't even seem to consider the IMS, and went straight for the Safari. And he's a little guy! Although, from what I gather he's a pretty good rider. If he can handle the Safari, then I'm certain that I will eventually get used to it. Sacrificing how much fun and enjoyment along the way, though?

The IMS sounds like it'll require a bit more planning, which I hate to do. Much more of a "hit the trail and see where it takes me kinda guy". Not being stranded is obviously the number one concern, but I know from road riding experience that my butt will NEVER do a 500 mile continuous stretch on a motorcycle. Back and forth, back and forth.

Anyway, thanks for the replies and some great points!

Endless ADVrider and websurfing continues...
Old 12-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #75
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Sounds like the parts of Oz you're exploring are the most remote places on planet earth...
You should come out here for a ride; you'd love it. Some of us reckon this is advriding nirvana down under. If you do a lap around Oz sticking pretty much to the coastline, getting fuel is no issue. But soon as you get inland on the western two thirds of the continent, 250mi legs with no town, no fuel stops is surprisingly common.

83% of Australians live within 32mi of the coast.

Try this for a great Aussie RR... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379786
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote