Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #76
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 447
Cool2 Safari for me!!

I have the Safari and it simply rocks!!

Too heavy??? That is crazy!! When doing tight track I fill the tank half way or less. But did ride full a couple times and i am still 100 pounds lighter then my ktm 990 and Tiger friends.

You would definitely have to put the heavier springs in for the front forks to eliminate dipping on steep downhills which I have done and added the heavier springs. So besides that it works like a charm. Fully fueled steep hills with leaves and soft dirt infested inclines. Still lighter then the twins doing the same thing...

Love it fully fueled when I ride 300 mile stretches going 80 mph all the way. No worries what so ever of running out. Plus at times I stop and fill her up to keep it heavier up front when windy and passing big rigs. Obvious the front end is more stable during high winds and big rig passing with the Safari loaded.

I tweaked the inlet from the carb to 85 degrees and I use every ounce of fuel. Interesting thing is I have a good 1.0 gallon left when reserve hits. Very Nice. Might even be more. I run 58 miles after reserve hits.

Only two downfalls of the Safari Tank is that you have to remove the tank to change the spark plugs. And Cost! I understand it is hard to put that much money into one item when you can have 3 or 4 nice farkles on the bike for same price as a Safari Tank.

So if you are worried about being heavy put less fuel in it...

Also it has two sided Pet cock so no hidden gas to swish around like the IMS. Why have a bigger tank if you have to do that?

If you can afford the Safari or feel it is worth putting extra money into a tank then I would prefer the Safari over the IMS. If you want to spread your money out for more items on the bike or simply don't want to spend that much on Safari then the IMS is the way to go..

But I am telling you I love it and wieght is not an issue at all unless those of you who want to do a table top one hander jump then you might struggle quite a bit to pull it off fully fueled....

boulder
Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #77
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
So if you are worried about being heavy put less fuel in it...
That's some good points in favor of the Safari. But have you ever ridden out of the US on you DR or in very remote areas off road where fuel was over 200 miles away?

Putting in less fuel makes sense if you absolutely, positively know how far you need to go to the next fuel stop. But in S. America sometimes this is an "Unknown". So what happens is you end up filling the Safari up and then when you get into sand or rough tracks you may have to work a bit harder.
The good news is ... once you've done 150 miles the load is lightened up.

But same goes with the IMS ... except it's lighter to start with by 20 lbs. and get even lighter as fuel is consumed.

BTW, you have to remove the IMS tank Also to get to plugs! Not a big deal on the IMS. I can have the tank off is less than 3 minutes. If a rider wants to really stay off road down South and really explore the remote areas ... then, IMHO, the Safari is the way to go. For me on my more moderate Mexico and USA ramblings, the IMS has been good. I've never even carried extra gas once in 44,000 miles.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #78
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin2day View Post
Another point is that the "shortwayround" guy didn't even seem to consider the IMS, and went straight for the Safari. And he's a little guy! Although, from what I gather he's a pretty good rider. If he can handle the Safari, then I'm certain that I will eventually get used to it. Sacrificing how much fun and enjoyment along the way, though?

The IMS sounds like it'll require a bit more planning, which I hate to do. Much more of a "hit the trail and see where it takes me kinda guy". Not being stranded is obviously the number one concern, but I know from road riding experience that my butt will NEVER do a 500 mile continuous stretch on a motorcycle. Back and forth, back and forth.

Anyway, thanks for the replies and some great points!

Endless ADVrider and websurfing continues...
Yea, you could spend years researching! .... and never go! That little guy (shortwayround) is a very experienced rider, former racer ... plus he rode a F650 Dakar BMW for a few years. That bike is 60 lbs. heavier than a DR650! He is very good off road.

You WILL be able to do 500 mile days. With a good seat the DR650 is simply remarkable. I've done several long days, one 1000 mile day (with several breaks) and one continuous 750 mile day. On my last Colorado trip I did four 400 mile days back to back. I am no Iron Butt rider ... not even close, but my Corbin seat seems to really suit me. Several other good seats out there for the DR650 ... so a good seat is a MUST for any serious travel.

Doing distance just requires you building up your stamina and getting used to living on the bike all day. This takes a while, but you will get there in time.

Sometimes on the road you get in situations where you've got to keep going ... for whatever reason. 1. make a border 2. get to ATM 3. Get to a shop before it closes 4. Make a Ferry 5. Meet your buddies ...or whatever. Some times you just have to keep going.

But it won't likely be 500 miles, not in S. America (except N. Argentina or Chile) but you WILL be on the bike for 12 to 14 hours. Hard to do big miles down there. Rough roads, road blocks, construction, twisty roads, rain, mud, rock slides, roads loaded with trucks, towns with traffic and on and on. It's slow going no matter what.

Northern Argentina is more wide open, more like our desert Southwest. There you can do a 500 mile day in 12 hours.

If you have no off road experience ... you could change that. If you haven't bought a bike yet, I'd buy a nice used dirt bike. A 250 would be perfect. Get out there and ride trails. A few months of that and you'll be streets ahead of where you are now. A perfect beginner bikes are: XR250, WR250, CRF250, and two stroke 200 or 250. Buy cheap and used. Sell it off and buy your DR. Seat time is all you need ... but riding with experienced buddies who can coach you really helps.

Have fun!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #79
livin2day
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Leaning more and more towards the Safari, despite it's OUTRAGEOUS cost. Money isn't too big of a concern with this build, except the more I save the longer I can travel. I just hate paying that much for a piece of plastic. I understand contributing to an R&D budget, but C'mon Safari.... I'll be able to replace my SUSPENSION for what your charging for a tank! That's just ridiculous, IMHO. They should be coming up with some seriously innovative stuff with those kind of profits rolling into their R&D dept.

Rant over. And this sucker will still probably get one anyway.

Good advice on spending a few months dirt riding on a 250, and it would be wise for me to do that, but not gonna happen. Once I finish up this gig and return stateside, I want to build and go. I intend to build the bike to withstand my inexperience, and I'll improve as I go. Hence all the questions, research, and attempt to put some numbers together now.

Bottom line with the Safari... it alleviates some unknowns.
livin2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #80
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Leaning more and more towards the Safari, despite it's OUTRAGEOUS cost. Money isn't too big of a concern with this build, except the more I save the longer I can travel. I just hate paying that much for a piece of plastic. I understand contributing to an R&D budget, but C'mon Safari.... I'll be able to replace my SUSPENSION for what your charging for a tank! That's just ridiculous, IMHO. They should be coming up with some seriously innovative stuff with those kind of profits rolling into their R&D dept.

Rant over. And this sucker will still probably get one anyway.

Good advice on spending a few months dirt riding on a 250, and it would be wise for me to do that, but not gonna happen. Once I finish up this gig and return stateside, I want to build and go. I intend to build the bike to withstand my inexperience, and I'll improve as I go. Hence all the questions, research, and attempt to put some numbers together now.

Bottom line with the Safari... it alleviates some unknowns.
Sounds good! Relax on the price ... they come up used here on ADV more often than you would think. In fact, a friend sold his a few months back, he knocked off a couple hundred off the MSRP price. So ... keep you eyes peeled, one will come your way.

I understand the need to get on the road ... but a broken Femur, collarbone or Tibia will really slow you down Very hard to learn dirt skills on an overloaded dual sport bike. On a 250 your learning curve will be very steep and translate well to the DR650. But do the best you can ... be careful out there!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #81
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
I have a 5 gal IMS tank and I do not need to remove the tank to remove plugs.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #82
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

BTW, you have to remove the IMS tank Also to get to plugs! Not a big deal on the IMS. I can have the tank off is less than 3 minutes.
yeah, who cares. tank comes off once in a while, plugs almost never.
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #83
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
I have a 5 gal IMS tank and I do not need to remove the tank to remove plugs.
I guess you're right ... if you have the right tool. Some of my plug tools with an extension won't work ... they need the tank out of the way to get in there.

But I remember I do have a plug wrench that works with IMS in place. The plug wrench that fits in my mini travel tool kit however needs tank off to get access. Luckily, never had to remove a plug on the road.

I rarely pull the plugs these days. But just had them out after my 4K mile Mexico ride. I adjusted valves too. Plugs looked good. I did a tank flush & petcock cleaning when tank was off. My Iridium NGK's still looking good at about 10,000 miles ... and mixture looks to be just about perfect.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #84
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
Leaning more and more towards the Safari, despite it's OUTRAGEOUS cost. Money isn't too big of a concern with this build, except the more I save the longer I can travel. I just hate paying that much for a piece of plastic. I understand contributing to an R&D budget, but C'mon Safari....
The Safari tank costs around US$650 here in Australia,you pay less than that to the point the tank can go from Australia to the US and back and still be cheaper than buying here.
I payed AU$700 posted (I was billed $750 ) in 2008,we subsidize foreign sales.
Count yourself lucky you are not on your third tank with the first two leakers.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #85
velocityjunky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
have not seen anyone talk much about the new acerbis tank thats coming out soon, only pics I have seen are here:
http://drriders.com/topic1804-10.html
Old 12-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #86
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's some good points in favor of the Safari. But have you ever ridden out of the US on you DR or in very remote areas off road where fuel was over 200 miles away?

Putting in less fuel makes sense if you absolutely, positively know how far you need to go to the next fuel stop. But in S. America sometimes this is an "Unknown". So what happens is you end up filling the Safari up and then when you get into sand or rough tracks you may have to work a bit harder.
The good news is ... once you've done 150 miles the load is lightened up.

But same goes with the IMS ... except it's lighter to start with by 20 lbs. and get even lighter as fuel is consumed.

BTW, you have to remove the IMS tank Also to get to plugs! Not a big deal on the IMS. I can have the tank off is less than 3 minutes. If a rider wants to really stay off road down South and really explore the remote areas ... then, IMHO, the Safari is the way to go. For me on my more moderate Mexico and USA ramblings, the IMS has been good. I've never even carried extra gas once in 44,000 miles.
Your point is well taken. And no I have not been in an area where fuel is 200 miles away. I understand no one wants to be front heavy under extreme areas that the heavy tank will cause some struggle..I understand that would be a pain. So make your riding style decision a wise one.. Yes i am the last one down the hill with the 250's but the first with the KLR's and upward bikes. So choose your poison i guess.

boulder
Old 12-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #87
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
I figure with my luggage and my fat ass, the Safari tank completes the pig....

The springs must be upgraded regardless....

I love the ability to run 420 plus miles fully loaded. I'm a iron butt DS rider though. I've ridden through the night a few times in remote areas where the gas stations close around 8pm. The big tank helps when your riding all night..

But, I don't ride much "trails".... Mostly forestry roads and mild trails.

I run fairly heavy... there is a three man tent in there, I'm 6'-4" tall, I need the room.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #88
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 620
IMS vs Safari

I'm just in the progress of building my second DR650 for Adventure riding. I was very unhappy with my IMS tank on my first DR and never considered putting anything but the Safari on the new build. Reasons for not wanting another IMS is number, one only the one fuel valve, leaves to much fuel in unused side. Number 2 when tank was just a few weeks old and fuel got spilled on the outside, bad design of the gas cap, stained the tank and never was about to remove the stain. Third is when I called IMS customer service they were rude and very unhelpful. Fourth and maybe most import the IMS with IMS valve only have about ten miles on reserve. I felt my $300 expenditure for the IMS was wasted money. Ordered my Safari from Just Tanks and got great service. This time happy to spend the $600.

Haven't ridden the new bike yet with the Safari but feel at this time that the added weight will not be a problem on road and if going off road can always ride partly filled. Having ridden a lot in Central America during the past five years on a bike that only had a 250 tank range I never ran out of gas but there were times that I was worried the last fifty miles or so until I found gas. What Grifter said about strikes and road blocks does apply. Had to track back wards one day sixty miles because of a landslide that's one hundred and twenty total. Have only run out of gas once in 250,000 plus miles of motocycle riding, that was back in 1971, and don't want it to happen a second time it I can help it.

Just my experience and $.02.

TravelGuy
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #89
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
IMS tank. The only time I ran out of gas with my DR650 with IMS tank I laid bike on left side and moved the gas over from the right side. Got about ten more miles.

TravelGuy
That's a good trick. Refueling in time is much preferred.

I used this procedure twice with my Valkyrie. The first time I did four or so deadlifts from not-quite-down on the ground, to slosh enough fuel into the left side to travel 3 miles. The second time I needed every ounce, so laid the bike on the engine guard, then pulled it over until the wheels pointed above the horizon. Went to pick up the bike, was surprised how heavy it was; had all my camping gear on it, of course. Went to back into it, and walk backwards to right it, when an SUV with a family drove by, they were all looking out the windows at me.

Screw that, wasn't gonna look like a little girl picking up the bike, so turned around to face the bike and picked the bitch right up.

Amazing how a little pride helps with lifts.

Lex
Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #90
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Ran out of gas on my Sunday ride, turned the petcock the wrong way and turned it off instead of to reserve. Still had the IMS stock petcock on it. The tank still had about a gallon of gas in it, but the petcock wasn't picking it up. Leaned it way over and got enough fuel over to get it going again and ride 10 miles home. I noticed that with the fuel level so low, there wasn't enough gravity force/pressure in the tank to give a constant supply of fuel and it was a herky jerky stumbling ride home.

Tonight I installed my Raptor petcock that I ordered with the tank and didn't install then for some unknown reason. The pickup for the reserve is all the way at the bottom of the tank, so it's a much better design. I also re-routed my fuel line. I originally moved the carb fitting to the 9 o'clock position, but I didn't like how the hose was partially kinked to make the two 90 deg turns in such a short distance. Besides, there was no room for an inline filter. I moved the carb fitting to the 3 o'clock position so the fuel line is in a "J" shape and now there is plenty of room for a filter, no sharp turns in the fuel line, and it is a straight shot to the carb with no loops or low spots. Filled the tank and checked for leaks, then put a few miles on it, works great!

I only got 153 miles before I had to switch to reserve, but that is another issue. I need to dig into the carb and see what the PO has done. It is definitely running rich, only needs choke for a few seconds even when it is 30F. I did 600 miles in Death Valley last month, dirt and highway mix, and I averaged 40-42mpg!

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote