Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #91
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,919
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
I also re-routed my fuel line. I originally moved the carb fitting to the 9 o'clock position, but I didn't like how the hose was partially kinked to make the two 90 deg turns in such a short distance. Besides, there was no room for an inline filter. I moved the carb fitting to the 3 o'clock position so the fuel line is in a "J" shape and now there is plenty of room for a filter, no sharp turns in the fuel line, and it is a straight shot to the carb with no loops or low spots.

Tim
I've wondered about that for quite a while, seemed that 9 o'clock was the wrong direction. Any chance of a pic for future reference?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #92
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Absolutely! I'll try to get a pic in the next few days.

Took 2 minutes to turn the fitting around with a big crescent wrench and cut a new hose to length. The old 9 o'clock routing had a partial kink at the petcock and at the carb fitting. Fuel was obviously still getting through, but it was not optimal and was really bugging me!

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #93
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Ran out of gas on my Sunday ride, turned the petcock the wrong way and turned it off instead of to reserve. Still had the IMS stock petcock on it. The tank still had about a gallon of gas in it, but the petcock wasn't picking it up. Leaned it way over and got enough fuel over to get it going again and ride 10 miles home. I noticed that with the fuel level so low, there wasn't enough gravity force/pressure in the tank to give a constant supply of fuel and it was a herky jerky stumbling ride home.

Tonight I installed my Raptor petcock that I ordered with the tank and didn't install then for some unknown reason. The pickup for the reserve is all the way at the bottom of the tank, so it's a much better design. I also re-routed my fuel line. I originally moved the carb fitting to the 9 o'clock position, but I didn't like how the hose was partially kinked to make the two 90 deg turns in such a short distance. Besides, there was no room for an inline filter. I moved the carb fitting to the 3 o'clock position so the fuel line is in a "J" shape and now there is plenty of room for a filter, no sharp turns in the fuel line, and it is a straight shot to the carb with no loops or low spots. Filled the tank and checked for leaks, then put a few miles on it, works great!

I only got 153 miles before I had to switch to reserve, but that is another issue. I need to dig into the carb and see what the PO has done. It is definitely running rich, only needs choke for a few seconds even when it is 30F. I did 600 miles in Death Valley last month, dirt and highway mix, and I averaged 40-42mpg!

Tim
Excellent! I like the 3'0clock idea too! Never thought of that! Pics would be great! I don't run an inline filter ... but do keep an eye on my little filter in the inlet tube.

Sounds like you may be rich. These bikes can run safely VERY LEAN!
Let them breathe and be stingy with the gas. Sounds like the Raptor may be THE WAY. I'd like to be able to go further on reserve and actually USE UP some of the gas down low in the IMS.

Thanks for the info!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #94
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
I only got 153 miles before I had to switch to reserve, but that is another issue. I need to dig into the carb and see what the PO has done. It is definitely running rich, only needs choke for a few seconds even when it is 30F. I did 600 miles in Death Valley last month, dirt and highway mix, and I averaged 40-42mpg!

Tim
Hey 3DChief,

I'd be interested to hear what you find when you tear into that carb. I have the same thing -- crappy mpg and running super rich (based on plugs).

I just pulled the carb to clean it up (Pinesol rocks BTW). The PO did the airbox top mod, put on an FMF slip-on, and installed a Dynojet kit (according to the receipts). I found that the carb currently has a 170 main, but I couldn't read the markings on the pilot jet. I don't know (yet) how Dynojets compare to others number-wise, but I understand they are different. In any case, 170 main seems pretty big to me. The bike actually runs fairly well...

Anyway, let us know what you find.

Porrick
Porrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #95
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
this is my IMS petcock setup
-IMS petcock - works great for me. zero issues. used lockwasher on bolts and made sure small phillips screws are tight when first installed. haven't touched since
-straight filter
-looped line w/ oem protective shealth spring. zip tied back line clamp near the filter to the close to where the line enters carb. keeps line tight & under the tank and from sticking out near my knees.
-removed filter in carb inlet

works awesome. have run the fuel down to almost empty (less than 1/2 above the petcock) and it was still pulling fuel just fine, so the upward loop has zero drain issue. i can quickly look down and see if the filter is picking up alot of debris. the petcock filter catches most of the debris before it gets to this filter.
when i need to remove the tank, i loosen the knurled hose clamp closest to the petcock and leave all the line attached to the carb.
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 12-14-2011 at 01:52 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #96
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porrick View Post
Hey 3DChief,

I'd be interested to hear what you find when you tear into that carb. I have the same thing -- crappy mpg and running super rich (based on plugs).

I just pulled the carb to clean it up (Pinesol rocks BTW). The PO did the airbox top mod, put on an FMF slip-on, and installed a Dynojet kit (according to the receipts). I found that the carb currently has a 170 main, but I couldn't read the markings on the pilot jet. I don't know (yet) how Dynojets compare to others number-wise, but I understand they are different. In any case, 170 main seems pretty big to me. The bike actually runs fairly well...

Anyway, let us know what you find.

Porrick
I can tell you right now ... you're too rich.

Here is what I'd go with:
1. Open air box top (per Jesse or Procycle)
2. Air Box backfire screen removed
3. STOCK pilot jet ... which i'm sure is still in there. NO ONE has ever benefited here from running any other Pilot jet than stock.
4. With the FMF ... 155 Dyno jet main jet ... maybe even a 150 if you ride at altitude above 3000 ft.
5. Twin-Air Filter ... they flow more air than stock, filter well.
6. Fuel/Air Pilot screw ... about 1 turn out .. but variable. Leaner the better, a rough idle hurts nothing but saves lots of fuel.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #97
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
A 170 DJ main with a 47.5 pilot jet has been done many times. The guys run rich and get 40 mpg, some times worse! I would make sure the stock pilot is in there. MotoLab sells them in the vendor section, I've gotten fresh jets from him myself.

With a cut air box per the correct method and a free flowing exhaust, the recommended set up is a 160 DJ main and the stock 42.5 pilot jet.... Most drill the slide and run between 1 and 2 turns out on the pilot screw. You can just leave the slide alone too, I got less surge with the stock slide. I ran the DJ 155 main with a cut air box and a stock exhaust for a while, that gave me about 47 mpg. With the TM-40 pumper and the same jetting I got 50 mpg for some reason. The worst I see with a pumper and the GSXR exhaust is 48 mpg and thats running fairly hard.... a "brisk pace"

Procycle uses OEM main jets in the deluxe jet kit, so with a pipe on there you would run a 150 main. The recommended set ups you find in Procycle's directions work best. They even make a D-spacer for the shelf.

Or just skip all that and get a TM-40 or a FCR-39.

Oh... on the jet sizes, the DJ 155 is like a 145 or 147.5 Mikuni per the charts I've seen. The DJ 170 is like a Mikuni 160... Depending on who you ask.

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/dyno-mikuni.htm

sagedrifter screwed with this post 12-14-2011 at 02:17 PM
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #98
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Alternate fuel line routing

Here is the picture of the fuel line routing I promised. Moved the fuel fitting on the carb to the 3 o'clock position and installed an inline fuel filter. Now the fuel line makes a nice loop with no high/low spots in the line, and more importantly, no sharp turns. Simple fix that took about 5 minutes to complete!

Tim

3DChief screwed with this post 12-29-2011 at 08:07 PM
Old 12-31-2011, 02:42 AM   #99
Killa Meter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
How exactly did you turn it without kinking it,my apologies if you've already gone over elsewhere .Did you just put the crescent wrench over the pipe barb from the hose end or from the carb side so it's flat on the pipe and not sitting over the barb.?

Killa Meter screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 04:21 AM
Killa Meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #100
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Post #39 and #43 have info on twisting the fuel inlet.

And Tim:
Nice pic.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #101
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Yes, use a crescent wrench. Remove the carb from the bike, wrap the inlet fitting with a rag, then turn the fitting. It is really low drama compared to how it sounds. I think you would be pretty hard pressed to kink that fitting! If you are going from the 12 o'clock stock position, just spin it clockwise to the 3 o'clock position. I went from 12 to 9 to 3 o'clock without any issues. My plan if I kinked it or broke it was to tap the hole and put in a straight fitting, which is what should have been on this from the factory!

Tim
Old 12-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #102
Killa Meter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Thanks guys im using a safari tank andI'm trying to build up the courage, this helps thanks.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #103
elkgrichard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
IMS is a nice tank. It owrked for me when i went down to Death Valley a few years back.
elkgrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #104
Tatsudoshi
Farquharson Thumper

Oddometer: 7
Roadstar Petcock

Good Day

I just wanted to post a pic of the Yamaha Roadstar petcock on my IMS tank, I can not
take credit for the idea as I seen it on this forum or another, but just wanted to say it work's
great, no leak's in a year and a half and look's great and only cost 30.00 CDN.

Take Care
Tatsudoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #105
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

IMS Tank Venting Solution

Thanks to Shu and Procycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Just so you know, a number of us have had trouble with the venting in those IMS lockable caps. They work fine for a while but eventually clog up and create a vacuum in your tank: poor fuel flow, especially when you've sucked down 3 or 4 gallons in the 5 gallon IMS tank. I like the 'no hose sticking up from my tank' so I replace my lockable cap when it starts to screw things up. Kind of a pain, I've gotten used to thinking of those caps as a "wear item'.

.............shu
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
The locking cap has a small rubber disk inside it that acts as a one way valve so fuel doesn't splash out through the internal vent. You can access the disk by removing the rubber gasket and unscrewing the green plastic piece inside the cap. Take a sharp pointed pick and poke a tiny hole in the disk and you will solve the venting issues. The hole should be barely more than a pinhole. If you make the hole too big you might have a small amount of fuel spillage in a tipover.
How to remove and replace the carb inlet after bending it trying to rotate to 9pm or 3pm. Link courtesy of Notarat.
http://www.johnsmotorcycleparts.com/fuel_elbow.htm

Quote:

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 10:35 PM