ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #121
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,161
Same.

Maybe Acerbis will get their shit together in the next year and offer a fuel tank that doesn't rely on screws into plastic.

It's pretty much why I don't have a larger tank yet. By the time I save up for the Safari, if Acerbis doesn't suggest it will change the design, they will have lost a customer.
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #122
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Same.

Maybe Acerbis will get their shit together in the next year and offer a fuel tank that doesn't rely on screws into plastic.

It's pretty much why I don't have a larger tank yet. By the time I save up for the Safari, if Acerbis doesn't suggest it will change the design, they will have lost a customer.
The IMS tank has threaded inserts and the fill volume is very close to Acerbis.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #123
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
The IMS tank has threaded inserts and the fill volume is very close to Acerbis.
Thanks, it looks a lot uglier, but I guess it would do the trick.
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #124
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,926
Inside the Stock Vacuum Petcock

WindPipe took a good set of photos and posted them on DRRiders.

http://drriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=...=unread#unread
__________________
2004 DR650: 62,400 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #125
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tlmaffucci's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
It's too bad. I really would otherwise like the Acerbis tank if it was plug-n-play.
I really don't think it will be an issue. I just got the Acerbis but have heard from others who have had it longer that the petcock works just fine. I have no leak on mine. I don't know how the threading into plastic will hold up but for now it's no problem. I guess if you replace the fuel valve gasket a lot that would be an issue but I feel like if something does happen it would be a pretty easy fix.

So far it has been plug-n-play.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #126
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer
 
sagedrifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,412
My bike is a 2007 and my Safari was put on in 07. I've messed with the gaskets 4 times now.

I would highly recommend not using rubber gaskets on such a tank if thats what it comes with. Safari uses the same petcocks, so I would guess they both have the same crappy rubber gasket. The dark grey fuel rated gasket material from the auto parts store lasts much longer than the plain rubber.

Since I stopped using the rubber ones I haven't had a leak. I think they may go till the petcocks fail again. The E-10 drys out the rubber inside the petcocks too.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #127
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,161
Well, I got an Acerbis 5.3 gallon fuel tank for my DR650 because so many said the screws into plastic wasn't going to be an issue.

As is evidenced above this, this was the part I was most apprehensive about, so of course I wanted to take a close look at these screws that Acerbis wanted me to rely upon for years to come.

Imagine my shock when I found that Acerbis didn't even include those screws. So I had to go to a local hardware store that didn't have any metric screws, deal with clerks there who couldn't help me find something close to 5.5x19, so I left with a few pairs of stainless screws, and eventually used the thinnest ones I had bought since the holes looked so tight (they have 8mm hex heads on them, and are slotted for a flat screwdriver).

I am more than not happy and worried about it all, especially since I was so apprehensive about that area in the first place.

And, yes, despite claims that modern Acerbis tanks fit Sargeant saddles from the get-go, I, too, had to grind away at the top tab to make it fit into the Sargeant seat pan hole. And also push and flex the seat pan to get the bottom tab to have a chance of hooking in. On top of that, when I ride with work shoes on the bike was already tall... the seat now sits even higher with the new tank, lol. Great for comfort on the bike, but not so great for dress shoes with thin soles for my commuting. (I am sure I wouldn't notice with riding boots on)
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #128
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tlmaffucci's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Well, I got an Acerbis 5.3 gallon fuel tank for my DR650 because so many said the screws into plastic wasn't going to be an issue.

As is evidenced above this, this was the part I was most apprehensive about, so of course I wanted to take a close look at these screws that Acerbis wanted me to rely upon for years to come.

Imagine my shock when I found that Acerbis didn't even include those screws. So I had to go to a local hardware store that didn't have any metric screws, deal with clerks there who couldn't help me find something close to 5.5x19, so I left with a few pairs of stainless screws, and eventually used the thinnest ones I had bought since the holes looked so tight (they have 8mm hex heads on them, and are slotted for a flat screwdriver).

I am more than not happy and worried about it all, especially since I was so apprehensive about that area in the first place.

And, yes, despite claims that modern Acerbis tanks fit Sargeant saddles from the get-go, I, too, had to grind away at the top tab to make it fit into the Sargeant seat pan hole. And also push and flex the seat pan to get the bottom tab to have a chance of hooking in. On top of that, when I ride with work shoes on the bike was already tall... the seat now sits even higher with the new tank, lol. Great for comfort on the bike, but not so great for dress shoes with thin soles for my commuting. (I am sure I wouldn't notice with riding boots on)
Dang, sorry to hear that man. Hopefully those screws will work better than we anticipate. I can't believe they forgot such a crucial part. Did you buy directly from Acerbis? I bought from justgastanksdotcom and had no problems, also got a discount for advrider.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #129
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
Dang, sorry to hear that man. Hopefully those screws will work better than we anticipate. I can't believe they forgot such a crucial part. Did you buy directly from Acerbis? I bought from justgastanksdotcom and had no problems, also got a discount for advrider.
I bought it from a well known vendor here. No need to name them - this was all very tight and secure packaging straight from Acerbis (as I'm sure you found your parts bag wrapped to your tank as well).
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #130
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer
 
FirstPath's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Formerly Shoreview, MN
Oddometer: 2,253
I wish IMS would make a gray tank.
__________________
Scott
'12 DR650
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #131
BenTravelin
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Oddometer: 13
Today my new Acerbis 5.3 tank came in the mail so I jumped on installing it. I ran in to a problem though. It looks like the stock fuel tank has an additional fuel line? Is this a vent or something? Can I just cap it, or do I need to return the tank?

It's attached on the right-rear side of the tank



And leads to something on the left hand side



I'm guessing this is a California thing.

Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks!
__________________
Ben - KTM 950SE
My SPOT
BenTravelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #132
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer
 
M1Jeep's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Lakewood, CA
Oddometer: 1,911
All that stuff is removed. You'll need to plug the outlet(s) on the carb.
__________________
Rich
My Smugmug
My YouTube
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #133
Ride Far
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ride Far's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Central NY | San Francisco CA
Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
Yes, use a crescent wrench. Remove the carb from the bike, wrap the inlet fitting with a rag, then turn the fitting. It is really low drama compared to how it sounds. I think you would be pretty hard pressed to kink that fitting! If you are going from the 12 o'clock stock position, just spin it clockwise to the 3 o'clock position. I went from 12 to 9 to 3 o'clock without any issues. My plan if I kinked it or broke it was to tap the hole and put in a straight fitting, which is what should have been on this from the factory!

Tim
Gotta disagree on using the crescent wrench to twist the carby inlet pipe. It works if the pipe is not super tight in there. But you run a risk of kinking the thing using a crescent wrench.

Much safer is removing carb and using a vice. Position pipe in vice with carb body flush against the vice and twist carb body with hands. Properly positioned in the vice, you eliminate the risk of kinking the thing.

Two cents, ride on gentlemen.
__________________
IBA #48073
http://ridefar.typepad.com
2008 DR650
2003 FZ1
Ride Far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:12 AM   #134
kezzajohnson
kezza
 
kezzajohnson's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Cairns - Queensland Australia
Oddometer: 1,347
Ims

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
I wish IMS would make a gray tank.
Acerbis do and coming from someone who has just replaced his IMS for an Acerbis, I can tell you it is far better finished tank and looks great too. I was worried about the screw into plastic for the fuel tap but just be careful not to overtighten and strip them. Everything was included including the screws but it remains to be seen how durable the tank and fittings will be. Fitment was no worries and I gave it a 1000km (700Km of dirt) shakedown on the weekend- no issues so far.



__________________
KezzaJohnson Blue 06 DR650se,Yellow 06 DRZ250

Website: http://www.territoryon2wheels.com

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."

kezzajohnson screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 04:24 AM
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014