User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #121
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Same.

Maybe Acerbis will get their shit together in the next year and offer a fuel tank that doesn't rely on screws into plastic.

It's pretty much why I don't have a larger tank yet. By the time I save up for the Safari, if Acerbis doesn't suggest it will change the design, they will have lost a customer.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #122
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Same.

Maybe Acerbis will get their shit together in the next year and offer a fuel tank that doesn't rely on screws into plastic.

It's pretty much why I don't have a larger tank yet. By the time I save up for the Safari, if Acerbis doesn't suggest it will change the design, they will have lost a customer.
The IMS tank has threaded inserts and the fill volume is very close to Acerbis.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #123
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
The IMS tank has threaded inserts and the fill volume is very close to Acerbis.
Thanks, it looks a lot uglier, but I guess it would do the trick.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 07-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #124
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Inside the Stock Vacuum Petcock

WindPipe took a good set of photos and posted them on DRRiders.

http://drriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=...=unread#unread

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #125
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
It's too bad. I really would otherwise like the Acerbis tank if it was plug-n-play.
I really don't think it will be an issue. I just got the Acerbis but have heard from others who have had it longer that the petcock works just fine. I have no leak on mine. I don't know how the threading into plastic will hold up but for now it's no problem. I guess if you replace the fuel valve gasket a lot that would be an issue but I feel like if something does happen it would be a pretty easy fix.

So far it has been plug-n-play.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #126
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
My bike is a 2007 and my Safari was put on in 07. I've messed with the gaskets 4 times now.

I would highly recommend not using rubber gaskets on such a tank if thats what it comes with. Safari uses the same petcocks, so I would guess they both have the same crappy rubber gasket. The dark grey fuel rated gasket material from the auto parts store lasts much longer than the plain rubber.

Since I stopped using the rubber ones I haven't had a leak. I think they may go till the petcocks fail again. The E-10 drys out the rubber inside the petcocks too.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #127
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Well, I got an Acerbis 5.3 gallon fuel tank for my DR650 because so many said the screws into plastic wasn't going to be an issue.

As is evidenced above this, this was the part I was most apprehensive about, so of course I wanted to take a close look at these screws that Acerbis wanted me to rely upon for years to come.

Imagine my shock when I found that Acerbis didn't even include those screws. So I had to go to a local hardware store that didn't have any metric screws, deal with clerks there who couldn't help me find something close to 5.5x19, so I left with a few pairs of stainless screws, and eventually used the thinnest ones I had bought since the holes looked so tight (they have 8mm hex heads on them, and are slotted for a flat screwdriver).

I am more than not happy and worried about it all, especially since I was so apprehensive about that area in the first place.

And, yes, despite claims that modern Acerbis tanks fit Sargeant saddles from the get-go, I, too, had to grind away at the top tab to make it fit into the Sargeant seat pan hole. And also push and flex the seat pan to get the bottom tab to have a chance of hooking in. On top of that, when I ride with work shoes on the bike was already tall... the seat now sits even higher with the new tank, lol. Great for comfort on the bike, but not so great for dress shoes with thin soles for my commuting. (I am sure I wouldn't notice with riding boots on)
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #128
tlmaffucci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Well, I got an Acerbis 5.3 gallon fuel tank for my DR650 because so many said the screws into plastic wasn't going to be an issue.

As is evidenced above this, this was the part I was most apprehensive about, so of course I wanted to take a close look at these screws that Acerbis wanted me to rely upon for years to come.

Imagine my shock when I found that Acerbis didn't even include those screws. So I had to go to a local hardware store that didn't have any metric screws, deal with clerks there who couldn't help me find something close to 5.5x19, so I left with a few pairs of stainless screws, and eventually used the thinnest ones I had bought since the holes looked so tight (they have 8mm hex heads on them, and are slotted for a flat screwdriver).

I am more than not happy and worried about it all, especially since I was so apprehensive about that area in the first place.

And, yes, despite claims that modern Acerbis tanks fit Sargeant saddles from the get-go, I, too, had to grind away at the top tab to make it fit into the Sargeant seat pan hole. And also push and flex the seat pan to get the bottom tab to have a chance of hooking in. On top of that, when I ride with work shoes on the bike was already tall... the seat now sits even higher with the new tank, lol. Great for comfort on the bike, but not so great for dress shoes with thin soles for my commuting. (I am sure I wouldn't notice with riding boots on)
Dang, sorry to hear that man. Hopefully those screws will work better than we anticipate. I can't believe they forgot such a crucial part. Did you buy directly from Acerbis? I bought from justgastanksdotcom and had no problems, also got a discount for advrider.
tlmaffucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #129
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaffucci View Post
Dang, sorry to hear that man. Hopefully those screws will work better than we anticipate. I can't believe they forgot such a crucial part. Did you buy directly from Acerbis? I bought from justgastanksdotcom and had no problems, also got a discount for advrider.
I bought it from a well known vendor here. No need to name them - this was all very tight and secure packaging straight from Acerbis (as I'm sure you found your parts bag wrapped to your tank as well).
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #130
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
I wish IMS would make a gray tank.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #131
BenTravelin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Today my new Acerbis 5.3 tank came in the mail so I jumped on installing it. I ran in to a problem though. It looks like the stock fuel tank has an additional fuel line? Is this a vent or something? Can I just cap it, or do I need to return the tank?

It's attached on the right-rear side of the tank

And leads to something on the left hand side

I'm guessing this is a California thing.

Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #132
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,911
All that stuff is removed. You'll need to plug the outlet(s) on the carb.
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #133
Ride Far
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
Yes, use a crescent wrench. Remove the carb from the bike, wrap the inlet fitting with a rag, then turn the fitting. It is really low drama compared to how it sounds. I think you would be pretty hard pressed to kink that fitting! If you are going from the 12 o'clock stock position, just spin it clockwise to the 3 o'clock position. I went from 12 to 9 to 3 o'clock without any issues. My plan if I kinked it or broke it was to tap the hole and put in a straight fitting, which is what should have been on this from the factory!

Tim
Gotta disagree on using the crescent wrench to twist the carby inlet pipe. It works if the pipe is not super tight in there. But you run a risk of kinking the thing using a crescent wrench.

Much safer is removing carb and using a vice. Position pipe in vice with carb body flush against the vice and twist carb body with hands. Properly positioned in the vice, you eliminate the risk of kinking the thing.

Two cents, ride on gentlemen.
IBA #48073
http://ridefar.typepad.com
2008 DR650
2003 FZ1
Ride Far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:12 AM   #134
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,347
Ims

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
I wish IMS would make a gray tank.
Acerbis do and coming from someone who has just replaced his IMS for an Acerbis, I can tell you it is far better finished tank and looks great too. I was worried about the screw into plastic for the fuel tap but just be careful not to overtighten and strip them. Everything was included including the screws but it remains to be seen how durable the tank and fittings will be. Fitment was no worries and I gave it a 1000km (700Km of dirt) shakedown on the weekend- no issues so far.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."

kezzajohnson screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 04:24 AM
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote