|02-03-2015, 12:13 PM||#1|
Joined: Nov 2013
Cutting Out/Backfire Issues
It started off only having occasional issues in heavy rain, the bike would cut out at low speed run rough and surge. Winter ended so I let it go since the bike ran flawlessly (plus it hardly ever rains here). This winter it got bad, even when it was dry so I replaced the coil with a Caltric unit. I had to reuse the plug cap (I know...) because the new one was too short and I needed to ride to work the next day but the bike was happy so out of sight, out of mind.
Last week I was running a lunch errand, got to where I was going, left and when I pulled up to the stop sign and then rolled on the throttle... DEAD. It wouldn't start immediately so I pushed it to the curb and after 30 seconds it fired right up. I figured I should have used some choke and everything was fine until yesterday.
I was riding to work on the freeway at a merge, rolled hard on the throttle and before I could shift to second the bike cut out completely for a few seconds, let out a big sharp backfire and started again. Stupidly I tried to ride home later, it did a very quick cut out and backfire a few blocks from work. On the freeway it cut out completely and refused to start until I let it sit for a about 30-40 seconds and was able to take the next offramp. I could feel it want to cut out under load when taking off from a stop so I kept it slow but by the time I got back to work it was running fine even under full throttle.
I got the bike home in the work van (thankfully it fit) so I need to figure this out.
The bike is a 1990 Xt600E with 52,000 miles
- I have a big Acerbis tank so venting is not an issue and the petcocks flow like a mofo
- The bottom of the tank and the petcock filter looks clear from debris
- I did just fill up the tank that morning, water in the gas?
- Maybe there is crap in the carb? It seemed more electrical than fuel
- The power never cut out so its not a fuse issue
- I have a feeling after doing reading today that the plug cap may be bad, it is 25 years old... Could it cause this dramatic of an issue though?
I run a GoPro everyday so I can post a video when I get home.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|