User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #181
Antnice2x
n00b

Oddometer: 9
leds not working in stock housing

im installing led bulbs 1156, in my stock blinker housings i was having trouble when i installed the diode kit and the led flasher, when i tested everything only 1 blinker went on, i called procycle, and they said it was prob a ground problem, and the bulbs have a polarity or somthin, so he said to try and switch the wires from the signals, and i try this and it worked, so i switched all 3 bulbs wires and got all of them workin now.. im wondering if switchin the wires are gona cause a problem, im wondering if i did it right, is this normal. and why was only 3 not working and noth the other.. i thought wires from the signals are positive and ground, can mixing those up mess up my wiring and electrical system.. i got another email from procycle and they said, i should bench test all the wires from the signals, test which wire is postive and negative on the signal wires, then test the wires from the stock harness, then match them up and see if its wired right, i really dont wana go through all of this so im wondering if i could get some insight, does anybody knows..
Antnice2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #182
andy from MO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
HID kit update requested.

How are the DDM HID kits holding up?

I'm looking to upgrade my lighting and wanted to know if the DDM is still a good option of if there is something new on the market that's better? I'd like to have a low and high beam but I may opt for the single beam like others have.

Carry on!
andy from MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #183
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy from MO View Post
How are the DDM HID kits holding up?

I'm looking to upgrade my lighting and wanted to know if the DDM is still a good option of if there is something new on the market that's better? I'd like to have a low and high beam but I may opt for the single beam like others have.

Carry on!

My DDM H4 Hi/Low was fine until last week when my steering lock cut right through one of the wires. I'm going to an LED headlight now, to eliminate all the extra wiring.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #184
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Single beam DDm working great here after a year
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #185
andy from MO
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Single beam DDm working great here after a year
You like just having single beam? How do you pass DMV inspection?
I know several have done the lo side and like it. Would you do lo / hi if you had it to do again or just lo?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #186
andy from MO
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
My DDM H4 Hi/Low was fine until last week when my steering lock cut right through one of the wires. I'm going to an LED headlight now, to eliminate all the extra wiring.
Is the Lo/Hi worth the trouble to hook up. I'm thinking that's what I would like to have but just thought I'd ask. How long have you had it installed or should I say how many miles have you had it installed?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #187
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Is the Lo/Hi worth the trouble to hook up. I'm thinking that's what I would like to have but just thought I'd ask. How long have you had it installed or should I say how many miles have you had it installed?

No trouble to hook up, just a lot of pieces to find a home for. DDM's motorcycle kit is actually just a Hi/Low car set up, with 1 bulb. I did not want to cut any wires, so I ran it all the extras on the frame.

I had the power wire on the battery, the ballast attached to the left side frame, igniter under the head light cowl, and the relay for the hi/low servo on right side frame. all the extra wiring (abut 6 ft total, which came from the servo relay thing) I ran down the frame tube and bundled it next to the air box. The ground was tied to where my vapor is grounded, near the ignition coil.

I have it installed for 2 seasons, maybe 4000 miles total. Worked fine, just annoying to set up. With all that wiring I'm not suprised the heading lock tab split a wire. Oh well. I'll report how the LED does when I get it.

Its worth noting that I shut my headlight off during start up. I had a cheap ebay HID previous to this, and it burned out with all the starting cycles.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #188
andy from MO
Adventurer

Quote:
No trouble to hook up, just a lot of pieces to find a home for. DDM's motorcycle kit is actually just a Hi/Low car set up, with 1 bulb. I did not want to cut any wires, so I ran it all the extras on the frame.

I had the power wire on the battery, the ballast attached to the left side frame, igniter under the head light cowl, and the relay for the hi/low servo on right side frame. all the extra wiring (abut 6 ft total, which came from the servo relay thing) I ran down the frame tube and bundled it next to the air box. The ground was tied to where my vapor is grounded, near the ignition coil.

I have it installed for 2 seasons, maybe 4000 miles total. Worked fine, just annoying to set up. With all that wiring I'm not suprised the heading lock tab split a wire. Oh well. I'll report how the LED does when I get it.

Its worth noting that I shut my headlight off during start up. I had a cheap ebay HID previous to this, and it burned out with all the starting cycles.
Do you use original headlight switch and a separate on/off switch?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #189
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you use original headlight switch and a separate on/off switch?

Yes. I have a toggle switch mounted that shuts off the low beam. If im riding in the dirt and want the headlight off I can use that switch, and then use the Hi beam switch to turn the light on quick.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #190
andy from MO
Adventurer

Quote:
Yes. I have a toggle switch mounted that shuts off the low beam. If im riding in the dirt and want the headlight off I can use that switch, and then use the Hi beam switch to turn the light on quick.
Any recommendation on which kit to buy, wattage and temp?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #191
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Any recommendation on which kit to buy, wattage and temp?

I got the 35w DDM Hi/Low H4 motorcycle kit, in 4500K.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...rcycle-HID-Kit
Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #192
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

I also run a pair of home made LED flood lights. The 3 together were fantastic.

planemanx15 screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 10:32 AM
Old 03-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #193
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
You like just having single beam? How do you pass DMV inspection?
I know several have done the lo side and like it. Would you do lo / hi if you had it to do again or just lo?
I can't pass DMV inspection in New York without 2 beams so I will be putting the H4 halogen back in to pass inspection. 15 minute hassle, but worth it to me to be sure the headlight is more likely to keep working after heavy offroad usage. I don't like the moving parts aspects of the Hi/Low HID.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #194
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,614
mounted up Cyclops LED bulb into oem housing. there is a vendor thread for it. out put is UNREAL!!! pattern is great. no need for aux lights. $60 for unit. cooling fan on the back.

procedure.

pull off light. procedure is to remove screw on bulb and remove h4 base, mount back back in with hold clip and screw back in light body.

the frame that holds the housing to the bike is in the way (for screw access), but that can be dropped out of the way by adjusting the alignment adjusters in. this drops that out of the way.

the metal housing on the light assy is also partially blocking the screw access but a fast dremel will create room.

i'm going to pull light & base apart, dremel a screw access notch in headlamp housing, mount the base only w/ metal clip, use high temp rtv on any gap openings into the housing to seal it (no room to reuse factory rubber seal), put the light assy back in, put hold screw back in, re adjust the housing frame to to spec and put back in bike.

plenty of room in the back. 3 led light. 2 upper lights for low. 3rd lower led comes on too for hi beam and wow. almost like 2 light assy in 1 w/ factory housing. looks all factory from the outside. no need to add on aux lights nor extra wiring and a switch. maybe and hour work & done.

output at night is blistering. bright & pure white. light pattern good. high beams in the city will let anyone know you are THERE! way overbuild. there is a fan that runs on the backside like on the new GS LED headlamp.

Cyclops water spray tested it for a long time. no issue w/ dirt either on fan. if any dust does make it into headlight assy over time then remove hold screw on light and wash out light with soapy water. time will tell if the fan survives for the long run. heat sink is huge anyway and will probably work by itself w/o fan. you'll know it's stopped as you don't hear it when key is on but bike is not started. can't wait to ride more at night!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948701

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #195
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,614
current best battery price. $65 shipped
big crank is a deka sold by battery mart with their own label on it.
http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cra...Faw-Mgod7QgA9A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
even better price on the same awesome Deka AGM battery.
$60 shipped. for that price no reason try use any other battery!
http://www.tristatebattery.com/produ...roducts_id=973
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 05-06-2014 at 02:54 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote