Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #76
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Are there any aftermarket indicators that just plug in and work? I haven't managed to find any. I'm touring around Australia (see sig.) and would prefer an easy, cheap solution that gets my bike back to road-legal status.
Most indicators I see have bullet connectors on them. We have a moto shop in the states that carries adapter wires to plug bullet connectors into the Suzuki harness...or you could just cut the Suzuki connectors off the moto's harness and crimp/solder on some bullet connectors to fit the indicators.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #77
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
HID conversion for DR650
If you’ve ever ridden on a dark, Moonless night with no street lights and little traffic then you may already know the stock DR650 headlight ain’t much good. I recently up graded my ’07 1050 Triumph Tiger with an HID and was very impressed with the result.

For the DR650 I first ordered the 35 watt, H-4, Hi-Lo HID kit from DDM Tuning. This kit indeed has the H-4 bulb but is really set up for a CAR with two headlights. So, basically you get a whole length of harness you can’t use .... and the install is much more complex. The Triumph Tiger has two headlights but with the HID I use only one ... and that’s all I need. So I figured to do the same on the DR650. I sent back the Hi-Lo kit and got the $25 HID single bulb kit.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/category.php?CA=61
Thanks for the tutorial to AdvGriver - I followed this to the letter and now have a functional headlight! The only thing that I found to deviate form this post is that the same two female plugs that Grifter used didn't work for me, I used the two on opposite sides. My light is now on when I'm switch to the hi beam and switching to low turns the light off....

Quote:
Now it's important you take note that the three wires used with the H4 connection are a high beam, low beam, and ground.
oops, maybe that's why..

garnaro screwed with this post 01-27-2012 at 05:28 PM
garnaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #78
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
I've got a DDM Tuning kit coming some day, slow boat from china....

So could you just kill it with the hi/low switch instead of a seperate toggle kill switch?

How many miles has a DDM 35 watt lasted on a DR650?
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #79
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
I've got a DDM Tuning kit coming some day, slow boat from china....

So could you just kill it with the hi/low switch instead of a seperate toggle kill switch?

How many miles has a DDM 35 watt lasted on a DR650?
My DDM 35 watt bulb is still going strong! About 5000 miles now ... which includes a Baja ride with quite a bit of off road.

Being uncertain how the HID bulb would handle shock from wash board roads ... I brought along my stock bulb ... just in case. With the stock system you have a back up if the Lo bulb burns out. Switch to High beam.
Not so on the single bulb HID system. That's why I brought along the stock bulb. But ... of course any Auto parts store will sell you a bulb.

The best news? A Spare 35 watt HID bulb from DDM tuning is $12 last I checked.

My set up works with the LO/Hi Suzuki switch in the LOW position.
Switching to Hi beam is OFF.

I always turn OFF HID light before I kill the motor. Then, on re-start I start with HID OFF then switch on once bike is started up. (saves battery and I believe eliminates possible voltage spikes) Working so far.

PS: My Triumph HID is also still going, over a year now.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #80
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
My DDM 35 watt bulb is still going strong! About 5000 miles now ... which includes a Baja ride with quite a bit of off road.

Being uncertain how the HID bulb would handle shock from wash board roads ... I brought along my stock bulb ... just in case. With the stock system you have a back up if the Lo bulb burns out. Switch to High beam.
Not so on the single bulb HID system. That's why I brought along the stock bulb. But ... of course any Auto parts store will sell you a bulb.

I always turn OFF HID light before I kill the motor. Then, on re-start I start with HID OFF then switch on once bike is started up. (saves battery and I believe eliminates possible voltage spikes) Working so far.

Thats good to hear, I orderd the 4500K 35 watt DDM single kit. I'm sick of the stock low beam, I should have done it a long time ago but, I've been busy doing other crap.

Maybe it will come in a few days before my next trip.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #81
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Thats good to hear, I orderd the 4500K 35 watt DDM single kit. I'm sick of the stock low beam, I should have done it a long time ago but, I've been busy doing other crap.

Maybe it will come in a few days before my next trip.
I had good luck calling DDM in SoCal ... got my package two days later. Both my single bulb kits came from DDM in SoCal ... the Hi-Lo beam kit (which I sent back) came from China ... you won't believe the packaging!! and it took about 3 weeks.

When I decided to send the Hi-Lo kit back ... I called. Sent it in, got the new kit and a refund for the difference ... all in less than a week.
Good luck.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #82
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
I got the same setup as Grifter, 4500 bulb tho, but I plugged mine in the same way he did;

HID is on low beam, & switching to high beam turns it off. It's nice to have the blue highbeam indicator light to remind me it's off. I also turn off my light before stopping, & like keeping it off when I first start the bike so it has more juice during start up. Although I've only wheeled it out into the street at night, no chance for any night rides yet. Mine came from China after @ 10 days (wow!) and it installed really easily. What an amazing difference in light output for $40 clams.

I zip-tied the ballast, & ignitor, to the top of the metal headlight ring (that holds the headlight) & they fit perfectly on there. I also used 2 small strips of 3M dual adhesive to keep them from moving around too much under the zipties. FYI, I also cut/installed 3M clear vinyl onto the headlight lens to protect it from rockchips...think it came from Miner's hardware.

Thanks again for the install pics Grifter, worked like a charm.

Quote:

ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #83
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Thumb

My DDM HID kit is still in China after 6 days or so since I ordered. Took 3 days to get the shipping notice so, its only been 3 days since it shipped. I might get it next week....

The kit cost me $44.63. Its cheap enough at $25 plus shipping.

Its gotta be better than stock, plus I need power for my jacket liner.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #84
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBedouin View Post
Thanks again for the install pics Grifter, worked like a charm.
Your very welcome, glad it's worked out.

Quote:
My DDM HID kit is still in China after 6 days or so since I ordered. Took 3 days to get the shipping notice so, its only been 3 days since it shipped. I might get it next week....

The kit cost me $44.63. Its cheap enough at $25 plus shipping.
Its gotta be better than stock, plus I need power for my jacket liner.
Not all Heated gear is created equal. My Gerbing jacket (now 10 years old!!) draws 77 watts. It may be that the newer "mil spec" Gerbing require fewer Watts to run at 100%? Dunno. Sounds like BS to me.

I also have a Warm & Safe jacket. (given to mag for review) It's a bit nicer than the Gerbing but draws 94 watts, IIRC. W & S now make a jacket model that draws just 60 watts. No idea if it's any good.

W & S now contract with First Gear (or is it Tour Master?) to make elec. gear under their name. Mike, the W & S guy, has been at this for over a decade, refining and improving. He is also the inventor of the the original "Heat Troller". Gerbing stole his design ... but he got even.

Mike's Heat Troller really helps get the most out of the Jacket using the lowest power. Very efficient device. Plugging a Gerbing or W & S straight into the bike will work but on the DR will run your battery down and eventually the jacket won't work very well. The Heat Troller changes all that. It constantly cycles ON/OFF ... this allows battery to sort of keep up.

The HID bulb in theory gives you back 20 watts. This makes a difference on my bike using my Gerbing jacket. The jacket puts out a bit more heat. Running stock headlight my Gerbing was not 100% warm, even though battery was not low or dead.

Of course, in daylight riding when in super cold ... I switch off my headlight and run both Gerbing AND heated grips at 100% with good results. But 200 watt output is never going to be luxurious.

But all that said my Gerbing jacket works BEST on my 475 watt output Triumph Tiger 1050. The new 800 Tiger puts out 650 watts!! The new 1200 Tiger Explorer puts out 900 watts!

Take care how you AIM your HID. It's very very bright. Yesterday out riding in West Marin (motorcycle paradise West) I saw a guy on a KLR coming towards me ... and his fucking HID light just about blinded me. WAY too much! and it was aimed way too high ... and all this during bright daylight.

Today, I saw a serious Iron Butt type guy riding some sort of very fancy Scooter. All tricked out. He had some sort of UNGODLY bright, flashing headlight. PLUS really bright dual driving lights, plus Fog lights. Talk about Target Fixation ... I nearly drove straight at the guy. He looked like an emergency vehicle. I'm thinking the cops will be pulling him over very shortly. Wish I'd taken a pic.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #85
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

If I remember right, my jacket liner pulls 66 watts on high, I never run it on high though. More like a low setting with the heated grips on high when its in the 40's. If I run both, I shut the head light off.

I would like to run the liner and grips on low while riding on cool days with the HID light. When its real cold, I just wear my winter gloves and use the liner on a higher setting. With heavy gloves the heated grips don't really matter anyway. I do have heated gloves, haven't used them on the DR though. Usually I'm fine if my core stays toasty. I don't want to push the stator too hard. When I get the HID installed I think I'll try the gloves and jacket at 50% and see what happens.

I really need to get a voltage guage. I just use my VOM and check it breifly when I try something new.

I'll probably install the Procycle stator this year and give it a go. Just don't have the money to spend on the stator and a new regulator presently... Hopefully I will later on. I'll have to see about the $$$ for 50 watts...

Maybe yes maybe no... I have gotten by on the 200 watts since 2007...
Old 03-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #86
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

You can get 50 watts ... free ... by just re-orienting the hook ups on the stock Stator. But at idle ... you will be discharging. Just shut off headlight in stop and go traffic.

But anything over 2000 rpm, you're back up 50 watts from stock output. Lots of documentation on this here on ADV. Nordie boy just mentioned it on the big thread a day or two ago. There is a whole thread about it by a EE guy. I think it's called the DIY re-wire ...? or something like that.

I'm happy with stock output for now ... and have a spare OEM Stator just in case ... but the DIY is the best deal and it's reversible.

The KLR guys (and others) have got roped into buying expensive aftermarket Stators and RR's over the years. Most all of them are J U N K ... and fail within a year. Even outfits like Rickey Stator and other USA based companies have a spotty reputation.

I have no idea which Stator Pro Cycle carries, where it's made, who makes it or if it's any good. But if he gets his elec. components the same place he gets his "All Balls" bearings ... I'd give a wide berth.

PS: you can't "Push" the stator too hard on the DR. IIRC, it's output is constant, no matter the load. It shunts excess current to the RR as waste heat. What happens to Stator's is they get very very hot ... and MELT. (connections and insulation on coils). Hard to imagine since they live in an oil bath ... but it happens.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 11:08 PM
Old 03-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #87
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Yeah, I've never seen an aftermaket stator last. But, I haven't heard a negative thing about the procycle stator either, a few people are running them.

It will take a while to prove the durability. I will probably stay stock till something fries, I doubt I'll have the money for the stator upgrade. I rather spend it on a nice trip to the smokeys.

I'm pulling an estimated 64 watts with my heated gear so, the 35 watt HID head light might work just fine. I do turn off the jacket liner when I an going slow with the RPMs down.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #88
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
Looking at getting the HID kit from DDM but have a question...I've decided on the 5000k but which bulb type are you guys using on the DR650? Is it the H4 type?

Olas screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 11:31 AM
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #89
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Looking at getting the HID kit from DDM but have a question...I've decided on the 5000k but which bulb type are you guys using on the DR650? Is it the H4 type?
It's been a while now ... and I can't recall if I ordered the 4500K or 5000K.
The HID is basically an H-4 bulb but you only use two of the prongs.

It's Win Win all the way. Super bright, easy to install, very low heat ... and so far they seem to be rugged and hold up to vibration and shock.

Look, this Chinese HID lights will not be cheap for long. ALL Chinese stuff will be ramping up sharply in price. Soon! I bought an extra HID bulb ... I think the spare was $12. Hopefully the Ignitor and Ballast will last. But who knows? Compared to what Pro Cycle are selling and others that cost hundreds ... the DDM Tuning is a steal. ALL are essentially the same thing.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #90
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
It's been a while now ... and I can't recall if I ordered the 4500K or 5000K.
The HID is basically an H-4 bulb but you only use two of the prongs.

It's Win Win all the way. Super bright, easy to install, very low heat ... and so far they seem to be rugged and hold up to vibration and shock.

Look, this Chinese HID lights will not be cheap for long. ALL Chinese stuff will be ramping up sharply in price. Soon! I bought an extra HID bulb ... I think the spare was $12. Hopefully the Ignitor and Ballast will last. But who knows? Compared to what Pro Cycle are selling and others that cost hundreds ... the DDM Tuning is a steal. ALL are essentially the same thing.
DDM's days may be numberd. Customs has them in their sights, they are drop shipping directly from China now. It takes about a month to get one now. Who knows how long that will last. These kits are non DOT, off road only in the eyes of govment types....

I get leds from Hong Kong and customs is taking a week or more in China and another week for US customs and about 5 days for travel time.... That's for totally innocent flash light led's.

The 4500K bulbs give out the most light.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk