User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #91
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,403
Thumb

Well, the results are back on the DDM 35 watt kit I bought.I finally got it installed and I was yacking about it in another thread. Thought I should pile on to what you guys already know. Its actually brighter than I expected, the 35 watt version washes the head lamp enough.

Nice quality stuff, good connectors, hefty ballast. Mine came with the power wires ran through the rubber boot thing. Once I got those pulled out and free the install went fast.

The 4500K bulb is pure white, no blue. Overall, I like it much better than stock. No complaints, ADV Grifters pics made the install almost thoughtless. I placed the ballast on the head lamp frame, I had plenty of room for the parts. I rode with it tonight again and I'm still smiling. The white light and the fill helps a lot on dark roads. Good bang for the buck. I should have done the install years ago.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #92
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Cool, glad my install helped out.
I thought the same thing "... should have done this the first week I got the bike!!"

I actually rode around in Mexico at night with the stock headlight ... in the dirt! (well, we were drunk ... had to get back to the hotel ... and my "buddy" knew a short cut ... through the desert! ) Stock headlight was truly pitiful by comparison.

The darker the road the better the HID works. The good news is ... no one flashes me ... which surprised me. Some times an adjustment is needed on the angle but mine was OK.

Cheers!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #93
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Cool, glad my install helped out.
I thought the same thing "... should have done this the first week I got the bike!!"

I actually rode around in Mexico at night with the stock headlight ... in the dirt! (well, we were drunk ... had to get back to the hotel ... and my "buddy" knew a short cut ... through the desert! ) Stock headlight was truly pitiful by comparison.

The darker the road the better the HID works. The good news is ... no one flashes me ... which surprised me. Some times an adjustment is needed on the angle but mine was OK.

Cheers!
Your install instructions helped me out a bunch too Grifter, thanks. I did a baja trip a few weeks ago and got caught riding the the dark a couple times - this 55W HID saved my ass!
garnaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #94
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,847
Pro Cycle is selling a higher output stator, 250 watt, plus 50 over the stocker,for those of you who do not want to rewire yours with the Delta configuration.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #95
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

In case anyone wants to do a Stator re-wire there is good info here:

Stator Thread has resurfaced .. !!!

For anyone with Stator questions ... and a REAL lesson on MC electrics, please go read this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189734

It's the best on ADV that I have seen .. and lots of ideas on rewiring your DR stator without buying an aftermarket one.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #96
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
For you guys that are running the Bi-Xenon Hi/Lo HID lights, how are you wired up for power? I tapped into the the speedometer light wires (using Vapor unit so removed stock speedo). When cranking the bike at startup the light flickers on/off until the bike is running at which time the light remains on. Beyond installing a switch to use before starting the bike, is there another place I could tap into that only run the lights when the bike is running?
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #97
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
For you guys that are running the Bi-Xenon Hi/Lo HID lights, how are you wired up for power? I tapped into the the speedometer light wires (using Vapor unit so removed stock speedo). When cranking the bike at startup the light flickers on/off until the bike is running at which time the light remains on. Beyond installing a switch to use before starting the bike, is there another place I could tap into that only run the lights when the bike is running?
Make sure its switched power. I tapped into the spare connector near the speedo, its switched and I have zero Issues. If you bought the hi/lo kit, wiring gets a little tricky, I wrote a post a few pages back and tried to explain it well. For me it works beautifully, Just having the brighter low is great, but flicking it up to high beam is priceless. I ride a lot of back country roads at night.

from a few posts back...

Aerocycle screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 05:44 PM
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #98
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Looking at getting the HID kit from DDM but have a question...I've decided on the 5000k but which bulb type are you guys using on the DR650? Is it the H4 type?
Yes, get H4.

Just decide whether you want hi/lo option.
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #99
Badger DR
n00b

Oddometer: 6
First official post.

I have lurked for a while and have become addicted. No big rides thus far and I do want to find another larger bike aside from my farkled DR.

Wanted to post something helpful upfront and after ripping off side rear turn signals wanted to find something with an integrated running, brake, turn and license light. Found a cheap Ducati unit on Amazon and took a shot. I adjusted it slightly to fit better just under the rear fender bolting through the original sub fender. I did rase the rear fender 1/2-3/4 of an inch to give it a bit better angle to traffic.

So far I am happy. I did lose a few LED's and i am already working to find something more robust, but this has survived a few spills some high speed desert riding over nasty terrain so I can't complain too much.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/.../TailightI.jpg
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/...aillightII.jpg

Badge

Badger DR screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 06:58 PM
Badger DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #100
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
HID for cheap

I recently purchased one of these car kits from eBay for under $60 shipped (they're located in California) and they come with double of everything so you have spare parts plus a 2-year warranty. These are bi-xenon bulbs so you retain both high & low beams. I have purchased a kit designated for motorcycles from a reputable seller but it crapped out in less than an hour. I have had this one installed for a week now, a few hundred miles later and it still works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160474332716#ht_6638wt_920

Another comparable seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-CONVERSI...#ht_5315wt_952

Low beam only:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260657271399...ht_3645wt_1139
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #101
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep View Post
I recently purchased one of these car kits from eBay for under $60 shipped (they're located in California) and they come with double of everything so you have spare parts plus a 2-year warranty. These are bi-xenon bulbs so you retain both high & low beams. I have purchased a kit designated for motorcycles from a reputable seller but it crapped out in less than an hour. I have had this one installed for a week now, a few hundred miles later and it still works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160474332716#ht_6638wt_920

Another comparable seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-CONVERSI...#ht_5315wt_952

Low beam only:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260657271399...ht_3645wt_1139
That brand is well known as crap. QC is very poor. A simple Google search for xentech will give a few thousand "its garbage threads". On cars, the suckers last a year some times, many don't last 6 months. Most of the kids around here buy them and you see them often with one eyed go fast honda civics and such.

I have the 35 watt kit from DDM and it is well made. Nice white 4500K bulb.

The kits are not DOT legal, so keep that in mind. The 35 watt is brighter than a H4 high beam. So, its like running around with a high beam X 4 or more.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #102
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
Pick Up Pulser Coil and wiring

Some of you helpful persons may recall, that I recently had the pick up sensor coil fail on my 2007 with 22,611 miles. I was replaced the failed PUSC (which I got for $39.00 from Regulator Rectifier).

I get my gasket for the stator side and get everything reassembled. It fired up just fine in neutral (after changing the wires as suggested. It is red to blue and white to green to run correctly).
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #103
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,860
So, for you guys who have installed the DDM HID bulbs on their DRs:

Did you notice the bulb was loose in its socket? It wiggles more than I'd like...anyone else notice this? Should I be concerned?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #104
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
So, for you guys who have installed the DDM HID bulbs on their DRs:

Did you notice the bulb was loose in its socket? It wiggles more than I'd like...anyone else notice this? Should I be concerned?
I assume you've checked out my posts on this on page 3, post 35?

Do you mean the bulb is loose in the plastic housing that it came in?
Or do you mean the plastic slotted housing is loose in the DR650 headlight
housing? I found the stock spring clip held everything pretty snug. (see my pics on this on the post) If the bulb is loose ... then maybe send it back.
I never touched mine so did not notice any looseness of the bulb in the housing.

Riding down the road, my bulb does not giggle ... like you see with some funky car headlights as they go down the road .... very distracting.
Mine are steady. Good luck with this. DDM guys were good to deal with when you call. I was lucky, got one of the actual techs on the phone.

I'm buying a spare bulb before the prices go up too high. Around $12 or $15 last I checked.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #105
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I assume you've checked out my posts on this on page 3, post 35?

Do you mean the bulb is loose in the plastic housing that it came in?
Or do you mean the plastic slotted housing is loose in the DR650 headlight
housing? I found the stock spring clip held everything pretty snug. (see my pics on this on the post) If the bulb is loose ... then maybe send it back.
I never touched mine so did not notice any looseness of the bulb in the housing.

Riding down the road, my bulb does not giggle ... like you see with some funky car headlights as they go down the road .... very distracting.
Mine are steady. Good luck with this. DDM guys were good to deal with when you call. I was lucky, got one of the actual techs on the phone.

I'm buying a spare bulb before the prices go up too high. Around $12 or $15 last I checked.
Yep, I mean the bulb is loose in the plastic housing that it came in..

First order I put in DDM sent me the wrong bulb, it was a 3000k instead of the 5000k I ordered and I've noticed that both were this way... the bulb is definitely not seated well enough to prevent movement in its housing. The unit itself fits perfect in the head light...that is not an issue.

I need to look into this, with all the vibrations from riding offroad I just don't see the bulb lasting if it's rattling all the time.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote