User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,803
690r Rear Shock Length

Trying to figure out if the PO of my 690 put a spacer in the shock to lower it, so I need the overall length of the stock shock to confirm this.

I bought the bike and had it shipped to me, the PO is no longer with us, so I could not ask him any of the details about the bike. I do know that he was vertically challenged and had gone thru some extremes to make the bike more suitable to his size. When I got the bike, the forks were set high in the triple clamps, and almost all the pre-load was taken out of the shock setting. I of course raised the forks and added pre-load - but the bike still seemed to have a low seat height. Have had nothing to compare it to yet either.

There is no Kouba or any other link installed to lower it, so my guess is that it has a spacer installed in the shock.

It does affect the handling for me, most noticeable on single track, and I really don't want to compromise my ground clearance or suspension travel. So raising the forks in the triple clamp is not an option.

My shock's approx measurement from eye to eye (center) is 15 1/2"

Ive called the dealer and looked online to no avail - so any help is appreciated

"9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me Im crazy, one just hums"
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 853
My shock is installed in my bike right now so the measurement is not exact, but it is about 16 1/8" center of mounting bolt to center of mounting bolt. Mine is a 2009 690R with about 3mm longer stroke than the standard 690R (now 285mm travel.)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
wiswoodsguy OP
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
My shock is installed in my bike right now so the measurement is not exact, but it is about 16 1/8" center of mounting bolt to center of mounting bolt. Mine is a 2009 690R with about 3mm longer stroke than the standard 690R (now 285mm travel.)
Thanks

looks like my theory is confirmed. My online research showed a 5/8" Kouba link as well as a 1". Not sure what they offered in 2009

Anyone have their shock out of the bike to get an actual measurement ??

"9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me Im crazy, one just hums"
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
My online research showed a 5/8" Kouba link as well as a 1". Not sure what they offered in 2009

Anyone have their shock out of the bike to get an actual measurement ??
I think Kouba offers -1" and -1 5/8", they also have a HD Dakar link which is -3/8".

It should be noted that if ride height is set per Kouba you will not see that much lowering. I have a -1" and think it netted more like 1/2" static do to the additional preload necessary vs. stock.

I might have my 09 shock out in a week or 2 and will measure.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote