Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #31
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
You were right to get it on DVD.

Should be no problem putting it on more than one computer. I used my DVD to put it on my two desktops and my netbook.

The DVD comes with an unlock code for only one GPS unit. If you somehow was able to put the DVD data on an SD card, I don't believe it would work in another unit. And the card from your unit won't work in another.

Transfering map data to an SD card would be useless, as the GPS unit won't read data off an SD card like you're wanting. It writes data to the card (your track log) for pulling off onto your PC.

Garmin has covered all the bases.

If I'm wrong in any of this, other, more knowledable guys will chime in.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #32
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,863
You can fit all of CityNav/NA on one card... you'll need at least a 2GB card, but its under the 2000-some-odd grid limit.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #33
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Slight clarification

DVD is definitely the way to go.

You can install Mapsource and the CN data on several computers.

Not sure what GPS you have offhand, but the 60 and 76 series GPS's will handle 2025 map segments.

Both of those units in the x series (60CSX, 60CX, 76CSX,76CX) will easily handle a 4 gb micro SD card. Get one or more....

Using Mapsource you can select what map segments you want to download to the GPS unit... then transfer them to the unit with the micro SD card installed.

Maps are saved to the SD card and only to the SD card. The unlock code unlocks the map data so it can only be used on ONE GPS unit.... you can save it to multiple SD cards, but only the unit that the unlock code is for can use it.

In fact, some people (Dr Rock) feel it's a good idea to keep a backup SD card loaded with maps along as it has been known for the GPS unit to somehow erase the SD card (and therefore the maps).

When you download tracks, routes and waypoints, they are stored in internal memory of the GPS unit, not the SD card. You can have the GPS store tracklogs it creates into the SD card, but even that is not the default setting.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #34
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,735
Thanks for the replies, I get it now. I am not trying to steal or distribute Garmin's data, just understand how it works.

Along with City Nav I want to include Roads and Rec and Topo for the USA.
According to McNutt that is too much data for the tile limit so the USA needs to be broken down into 3-4 2 gig cards plus another one for Mex and CA?

For Mexico I will try City Nav, World Map and OSM maps.

For Central America I will use World Map and OSM maps.

If anyone has experience with Bicimapas for motorcycle travel, I'd like to knowwhat you thought about their map set?

http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/EnglishE...IsBicimapa.htm

Any ideas are appreciated.

What is the best way to back up the various micro SD cards in case of loss or damage once I make them.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #35
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,863
For something like what you're doing, I'd pack a few of the memory cards with.

You can copy the /Garmin/GMAPSUPP.IMG to another memory card and it'll work just the same. Make sure you keep that hierarchy though, GPS won't recognize the mapset if there's no "GMAPSUPP.IMG" file in the "Garmin" folder on the memory card.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #36
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
US R&R Big Segments

I've worked out a way to create a 'Big Segment' version of Garmin's Road & Rec.

You have to have Garmin's CD of Road & Rec to start with, then download some programs from the web, then get my configuration files and follow the included instructions.

It takes ALOT of computer time.... 18-24 hours, but when you get done you end up with a version of R&R that consists of only 95 segments totaling just over 400mb.

That way you can got R&R loaded with CD and still be within the map segment limit.

There are also configuration files out there to do the same thing with the old Topo.. that becomes 300 odd segments.

I've got Metroguide (similar to CN), Topo, R&R, Canadian enhanced base map all loaded on my 76Cx in about 3gb and 1900 map segments.

PM me if you want the R&R configuration stuff.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #37
bkshovel
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
[QUOTE=NorthernTraveler;14798882]DVD is definitely the way to go.

You can install Mapsource and the CN data on several computers.

I beleive this is true for Mapsource but only to a point with CN. Even though you paid for it you can only load it a set number of times. I've load the same one on several PCs and have exceeded the max. I'm not sure what the limit is but it's around 6.
bkshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #38
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Thanks for all the info and ideas.

I am such a knob I better learn the standard way before I try to get creative.
Plus my computer connection is through my cell phone because I live very rurally in northern Wisconsin.

I'll be back to report after I get middle America, Mexico and Central America figured out with City Nav, Rds&Rec, Old Topo and OSM.
I'll try to get it on a 2 gig card.

My son is a GIS guy for the county and promises to help me so there is hope.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 PM   #39
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
I've worked out a way to create a 'Big Segment' version of Garmin's Road & Rec.
I was online looking for this and it seems that R&R has been discontinued? Am I off base here or does someone know where you an still buy this?

Edit - Sorry for the threadjack, but I've been following this thread with similar issues and was curious.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #40
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
I was online looking for this and it seems that R&R has been discontinued? Am I off base here or does someone know where you an still buy this?.
Yes you can find it on e-bay if you just keep looking. Also it is not copy protected with "locks" so a friend can make you a copy. Actually you only have to borrow a copy and copy it to your hard drive then return it.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #41
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Yes you can find it on e-bay if you just keep looking. Also it is not copy protected with "locks" so a friend can make you a copy. Actually you only have to borrow a copy and copy it to your hard drive then return it.
Thx.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #42
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I think the same goes for the old Topo mapping but I'm not sure about the 'new' Topo. Can anyone clarify this issue?
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 01-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #43
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Also it is not copy protected with "locks" so a friend can make you a copy. Actually you only have to borrow a copy and copy it to your hard drive then return it.
Quote:
I think the same goes for the old Topo mapping but I'm not sure about the 'new' Topo. Can anyone clarify this issue?
Roads & Recreation, the old 100K topos, and the new 24K topos are not locked; they can be copied and used without an unlock code.

But should they be? All of these products are copyright by Garmin and it against the law to use them if you don't own them. It is also against ADVrider policy to try to circumvent copyright protection on this web site.

Jerry, I would have thought that your proprietary interest in the tracks you use for your tours would make you aware of the economic value of copyright material and the abuse of copyrights.

Tsk, Tsk.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #44
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,954
Hello - I need guidence in purchasing a 60csx. Exactly what should I be buying along with the device? My only GPS experience is a fast fading 2610 streetpilot. After reading this thread, it sounds like I need the unit, City Navigator DVD, and a 2 gig flash card. Anything else?

I will use this GPS mostly like I use my old 2610. That is; plan routes on my laptop and transfer them to my GPS unit. In addition to that, I want to ride parts of the TAT and the CDR using BigDog's routes. So I think I need a GPS that reads tracks (whatever those are).

I prefer the 60CSx because it is small and costs only $200. I think City Nav is about $80 in DVD form. I will use the device on a Yamaha WR250R dual sport bike and also my KTM twin.

Thanks
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #45
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I prefer the 60CSx because it is small and costs only $200. I think City Nav is about $80 in DVD form. I will use the device on a Yamaha WR250R dual sport bike and also my KTM twin. Thanks
West Marine had 76Cx for $180

Yes City Nav or see free Roads & Rec in other thread, hard wire kit, RAM mount (sucks on 60 so best reason for 76), power cord for car.

See my ready to download CDR tracks on GPSXchange.com