Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #46
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
West Marine had 76Cx for $180

Yes City Nav or see free Roads & Rec in other thread, hard wire kit, RAM mount (sucks on 60 so best reason for 76), power cord for car.

See my ready to download CDR tracks on GPSXchange.com
Thanks!

I was going to use the pigtail style hard wiring kit advertised in the vendor section. I'll get the car power chord too for my subie and ktm. I was going to get a ram mount, but maybe I can find something I can put on the cross bar of the Yamaha. Then I'll just need the Ram holster. I have a Ram ball mount for my old Garmin and it isn't that stable for fast trailing, so I think the Yam needs something more rigid.

So you agree that the only software I need to buy is the City Nav? Does that mean I can just download your CDR tracks and be trip ready?

Thanks again.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #47
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Thanks!

I was going to use the pigtail style hard wiring kit advertised in the vendor section. I'll get the car power chord too for my subie and ktm. I was going to get a ram mount, but maybe I can find something I can put on the cross bar of the Yamaha. Then I'll just need the Ram holster. I have a Ram ball mount for my old Garmin and it isn't that stable for fast trailing, so I think the Yam needs something more rigid.

So you agree that the only software I need to buy is the City Nav? Does that mean I can just download your CDR tracks and be trip ready?

Thanks again.
Did you consider the 'short' arm for the Ram mount.
I bet it improves the stability by fifty percent at least.
It's solid plus the lanyard makes a safety in case it releases.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-sho...-b-201u-a.html

That's how I set mine up.
I hard wired it too.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-bare-w...ata-cable.html

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #48
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
60CSx noob here. I just got mine today. When I fire it up, there is hardly any detail on the map.... I see only major highways. With the Garmin Nuvi 765t I have in my car, right out of the box it showed me all the detail I'd ever need when in the car.

With this 60CSX, do I need to purchase and install some other map to get that kind of detail? Initially I'd like to use the GPS when riding my WR250X on the local backroads, but the way this 60CSx is out of the box, it's not going to do me any good because I don't see any roads, other than major highways.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #49
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Yes. The unit only comes with a base map installed. Pretty useless as you've found. You'll need to buy the more detailed mapsets. Like City Nav NT, Topo or get ahold of a copy of the old Roads and Rec.

City Nav is pretty good at showing back roads and will auto route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post

With this 60CSX, do I need to purchase and install some other map to get that kind of detail?
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #50
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42 View Post
Yes. The unit only comes with a base map installed. Pretty useless as you've found. You'll need to buy the more detailed mapsets. Like City Nav NT, Topo or get ahold of a copy of the old Roads and Rec.

City Nav is pretty good at showing back roads and will auto route.
That's what I figured, although I guess from reading the product info I was under the impression it would be more usable right out of the box.

Is this a new strategy of Garmin's... to sell a GPS that doesn't have very good maps, so that way you spend more money to buy a map? Or is there some fundamental reason the 60csx comes this way? I can't see it being very useful the way it is, but maybe I'm not quite understanding how it could be used. My only other experience is with an automotive GPS and it came with everything I've ever needed and I never had to buy anything "extra" to make it useful.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #51
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Is this a new strategy of Garmin's... to sell a GPS that doesn't have very good maps, so that way you spend more money to buy a map? Or is there some fundamental reason the 60csx comes this way? I can't see it being very useful the way it is, but maybe I'm not quite understanding how it could be used. My only other experience is with an automotive GPS and it came with everything I've ever needed and I never had to buy anything "extra" to make it useful.
No, Garmin has been doing it this way on many of it's more technical units since loading map data became a user option 15 plus years ago. The dumbed down, ready to go out of the box car units is a relatively new thing.

Garmin does it so the user can choose which type of maps suit his/her needs, roads, topo, marine. Also to use maps already owned by the user if unlocked. Years ago it was nessesary to load only very small areas at one time as the units memory were very limited.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #52
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
No, Garmin has been doing it this way on many of it's more technical units since loading map data became a user option 15 plus years ago. The dumbed down, ready to go out of the box car units is a relatively new thing.

Garmin does it so the user can choose which type of maps suit his/her needs, roads, topo, marine. Also to use maps already owned by the user if unlocked. Years ago it was nessesary to load only very small areas at one time as the units memory were very limited.

Bruce
Thanks, that makes sense. I guess I was just expecting this unit to come with a basic map that would atleast give me something similar to my other GPS as far as local roads and stuff like that goes.

So, I guess for blasting around the back roads, City Nav would probably be the map to get. But if I were going to use this unit to ride the TAT with, what map would be best to purchase?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #53
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,336
This post is probably the answer to your question...
Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #54
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
This post is probably the answer to your question...
Ya, I saw that, but still wasn't clear if I needed to actually purchase something else to get the detailed maps. I installed the MapSource software that came with the unit, and it gives me a detailed map that has all the roads and stuff... but its somewhat confusing to use and see no way to get that map transferred to my actual GPS. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but I guess not.... sounds like I have to actually buy City Nav before I can get that detailed mapping.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #55
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

MoJo,
Now you understand why I started this thread. You are in deep and still not satisfied.

First off everyone agrees that you should buy City nav in DVD form.

Last night my son and I finally got part of City Nav installed on my 60csx. Right off the bat when initializing Garmin wants the device code or number but doesn't tell you where to find it. Your GPS is connected to your computer...OK, disconnect it and look under the batteries. Write it under the Product code for City Nav so you have it. This shit is not intuitive.

Now for me...HELP!!!!!!!!!

We haven't figured how to load Wold Map and Roads and rec on the same 2 gig card, so that's my question guys...how is it done. How does the layering work or do I shift from map to map in the GPS?

Second question. If I have the disc and my 60csx can I load the disc up on another computer and transfer info to my mini SD card? If I only add limited data will it erase the mapping that is on the card and start over? We saved the map so far to a folder on my machine but what if I don't have it
That would be a big pain if I am in Panama without my computer and I have to start over.

So far it looks like what I leave home with is all I will get or maybe start from scratch.

bill

Bill Shockley
Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #56
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
You need to build a map set (ex. CN + R&R + Topo) in MapSource of the area of interest and send it to the GPS (or MicroSD) at the same time. It is done by selecting the tiles or map segments of a product then w/o closing MapSource switching map products (via the drop-down map menu) and selecting again and so on till done. Then transferring the data.

Want to add or delete something, start over as the map set can not be modified only replaced, over writing the original.

Which mapping product is displayed on the GPS is set via the "Setup Map" menu (60/76). With a little practice it is fairly quick and easy to switch which is displayed.

As for the what if I find myself in Panama question, I don't know stock up on MicroSD cards? As I suggested early in this thread what you are wanting is pushing 60/76 GPS storage/memory capability.

The latest units may have a larger tile limit and there is software which combines multiple tiles into just a few but I have not used it.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #57
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Want to add or delete something, start over as the map set can not be modified only replaced, over writing the original.
There is a workaround... the file is GMAPSUPP.IMG in the "Garmin" folder.

Any other object in there is ignored....

...So you can build a CityNav image, squirt it into the GPS... rename that file from GMAPSUPP.IMG to CityNav.IMG in mass-storage-mode, reboot the GPS, and shoot topo into it... it'll leave the citynav.img alone and build another GMAPSUPP.IMG with topo in it... now to change between the two, rename the current gmapsupp.img to topo.img and citynav.img to gmapsupp.img....

My phone uses full-size SD cards... with an adapter (have one in there anyways) and a file management utility on the palm I can switch these files with my phone.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #58
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Again, there are other options....

There are plenty of free maps at GPSFILEDEPOT.COM

After looking them all over, the Ibycus US is a pretty good road and waterways non-auto routing map... but it does have a big hole in west central Wisconsin.

The US planametric set is a very good road map set - again not route able - with no holes but in 8 segments for the entire US.

The US Topo set in 8 parts has a pretty good set of Topo's for the continental US... better than Topo2008 and I suspect Topo 100k. There are about 24k level detail, but again, not route able.

The individual state Topo maps are really good, really detailed, but almost too much to have loaded into a GPS... best for doing planning on your computer or if you only ride in a limited area.

The Ibycus Canada Topo does a pretty good job of being a Topo covering all of Canada. Looks kinda like 100k level of detail, but I could be wrong.

The limiting factor for how much you can load into your GPS is probably going to be the map segment limit... 2025 on a 60/76 series. I noticed that firmware updates mentioned that they support map sets greater than 2gb. Not sure of the upper size of mapsets or micro SD cards supported.

So load as many maps as you can into a single file and switch between them on the map setup screen.

If you need more, build multiple files and change the names of the file as described in a previous post.

I highly recommend you build all your mapsets before you go... building the mapsets is what takes the time, computational power, and really large databases.

Changing the names of mapsets or switching map layers is easy to do in the field... I carry a netbook for long rides to load additional routes/tracks/waypoints, and I can build small mapsets if I need to. But I don't carry all the big mapsets on it... they take way too much space and it takes way too long to build the big mapsets.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #59
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
from mapsource (or another program you use) select the tiles/segments of the map you want on the gps. you need to be in the correct mode in mapsource to do this. they turn pink when selected. if you have city nav and topo to need to go to the drop down and show each one and select what you want. when done transfer to the gps. what ever is selcted overights the last maps you sent. in the gps you can toggle between showing city nav maps or topo. i've found if both city nav and topo are shown that city nav always shows so you need to turn off city nav. to be able to see topo. i have city nav, topo, roads & rec and free maps on mine that i can toggle through.

the reality is both the computer app and the gps unit software take alot of time to learn. no shortcuts, you need to sit down and go through it over and over to truely use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
MoJo,
Now you understand why I started this thread. You are in deep and still not satisfied.

First off everyone agrees that you should buy City nav in DVD form.

Last night my son and I finally got part of City Nav installed on my 60csx. Right off the bat when initializing Garmin wants the device code or number but doesn't tell you where to find it. Your GPS is connected to your computer...OK, disconnect it and look under the batteries. Write it under the Product code for City Nav so you have it. This shit is not intuitive.

Now for me...HELP!!!!!!!!!

We haven't figured how to load Wold Map and Roads and rec on the same 2 gig card, so that's my question guys...how is it done. How does the layering work or do I shift from map to map in the GPS?

Second question. If I have the disc and my 60csx can I load the disc up on another computer and transfer info to my mini SD card? If I only add limited data will it erase the mapping that is on the card and start over? We saved the map so far to a folder on my machine but what if I don't have it
That would be a big pain if I am in Panama without my computer and I have to start over.

So far it looks like what I leave home with is all I will get or maybe start from scratch.

bill
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #60
bmwktmbill OP
Traveler

Guys,
Many thanks to all who answered my plea.
I'll go back at it.

A mantra from Ekins!!!

"the reality is both the computer app and the gps unit software take alot of time to learn. no shortcuts, you need to sit down and go through it over and over to truly use it."

So I have found out those are true words.
I liked it better when I just thought I was dumb.
I've been overwritten.

Again thanks to all.
bill

Bill Shockley