User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #91
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Just a word of advice. It is awfully tempting to try to use Garmin Routes for navigating.

After more fiascos than I care to admit, I and many others have given up trying to navigate complicated dirt road segments with Routes. (Routes might be okay for paved roads.)

Some common problems are that the computer will compute a route differently than the GPS unit if the preferences are not set exactly the same. Many roads that I use are not in City Nav and I use Topo to fill in the gaps. Autorouting goes crazy when a road is missing. If you miss a turn and are not paying attention, the unit may recalculate the route and the next time you look down, things will look just fine.

We use tracks. I either get tracks from places like GPSExchange or DualSportMaps.com.

On the 60 tracks are always visible and they do not change.

If I can't find the tracks I want there I create them. I first create a Route and then convert it to a track.

Up until about a week ago I created the track using the track draw Tool. After someone pointed out a new software package called Wingdb3. It is a simple to use free program that converts routes to tracks.

BTW I still use Mapsource. This might be easier in Basecamp.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #92
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Just a word of advice. It is awfully tempting to try to use Garmin Routes for navigating.

After more fiascos than I care to admit, I and many others have given up trying to navigate complicated dirt road segments with Routes. (Routes might be okay for paved roads.).
Love them in my motorhome, never used them on a motorcycle. All dual Sport events that work use Tracks.

The Cal Poly club gave out routes one year. Every time a rider missed a turn, his GPS rerouted him to closed roads through private ranches and way off the approved course. Turned into a giant circle jerk.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #93
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,321
I took a little different approach last summer..I had alot of optional tracks I wanted on a multiday trip so I took the main planned tracks and used WinGDB and converted them to 250 pt. routes with recalc turned off. Each day had 1 or 2 routes with alternative paths showing up as tracks. This enabled me to have 15 tracks loaded, make a track as I rode for the day (yes I know the 60csx was making a gpx too) and have a couple routes which functioned as we usually use tracks.... I used the WinGDB option of creating viapoints which just showed up as little numbered flags as I rode along. For viewing in mapsource I turned the text/symbols to small scale which gave me a route I could see without a bunch of flags filling up the route path.

as this was an experiment I did have copies of the daily tracks incase the routes messed up but it did work and I just erased the daily tracks at th end of the day to allow for saving the track of the day.
LifeSong

BKMLWR screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 11:36 AM
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #94
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
I took a little different approach last summer..I had alot of optional tracks I wanted on a multiday trip so I took the main planned tracks and used WinGDB and converted them to 250 pt. routes with recalc turned off. Each day had 1 or 2 routes with alternative paths showing up as tracks. This enabled me to have 15 tracks loaded, make a track as I rode for the day (yes I know the 60csx was making a gpx too) and have a couple routes which functioned as we usually use tracks.... I used the WinGDB option of creating viapoints which just showed up as little numbered flags as I rode along. For viewing in mapsource I turned the text/symbols to small scale which gave me a route I could see without a bunch of flags filling up the route path.

as this was an experiment I did have copies of the daily tracks incase the routes messed up but it did work and I just erased the daily tracks at th end of the day to allow for saving the track of the day.
Man have I got a lot to learn.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #95
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Direct Routes

The GPS recalculating an auto routing route is EXACTLY why I ONLY use 'Direct Routes'

If you go back and read Big Dog and GasPipes western TAT ride report from 2006 you see that they got bitten by the auto routing mess right at the start.

This is the ride report that got me back to doing Dual Sport rides and after some messing around locally and seeing the problem, I've never made that mistake again.

I have a set of direct routes for almost all the big rides in the US.... most I've created myself, some (the CDR) I've used somebody else's.

I'm the one who built the routes for TET-S, SL, and TET from PA north. I have routes that I built (one per day) for TAT, SOR, and the Northern Route (NR) that I'm building.

Direct routes work... even if there are no roads on your maps. I can have 50 direct routes on most of my GPS's, while I'm limited to only 15 or 20 tracks. Some of my GPS's can use 700 point tracks, but the standard that we build to is 500 points as some of the common GPS's can only use that many. Both work, but I like having more routes....
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #96
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
The GPS recalculating an auto routing route is EXACTLY why I ONLY use 'Direct Routes'

If you go back and read Big Dog and GasPipes western TAT ride report from 2006 you see that they got bitten by the auto routing mess right at the start.

Direct routes work... even if there are no roads on your maps. I can have 50 direct routes on most of my GPS's, while I'm limited to only 15 or 20 tracks. Some of my GPS's can use 700 point tracks, but the standard that we build to is 500 points as some of the common GPS's can only use that many. Both work, but I like having more routes....
The idea of Direct routes sounds attractive. But I think my 60 only allows for 50 waypoints in a route. This would make navigating a little hard for me.

(On my old Garmin 3 I had a disasterous trip once using the Mapsource routing tool which created long names for via points and the 3 truncated them down to 8 characters and eliminated duplicates. This resulted in the waypoints being spread randomly over the screen.)

I certainly admit that that the 20 track limit is inconvenient at times, but 500 points spread over 150-200 miles makes for pretty easy navigating. I have solved the 20 track limit by carrying a small notebook computer. The computer is useful for lots of other things. BTW I always stay in motels and they normally have wireless which is also nice.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #97
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Quote:
The idea of Direct routes sounds attractive. But I think my 60 only allows for 50 waypoints in a route. This would make navigating a little hard for me.

(On my old Garmin 3 I had a disasterous trip once using the Mapsource routing tool which created long names for via points and the 3 truncated them down to 8 characters and eliminated duplicates. This resulted in the waypoints being spread randomly over the screen.)

I certainly admit that that the 20 track limit is inconvenient at times, but 500 points spread over 150-200 miles makes for pretty easy navigating. I have solved the 20 track limit by carrying a small notebook computer. The computer is useful for lots of other things. BTW I always stay in motels and they normally have wireless which is also nice.
if you translate a track to route in WinGDB for a 60 you can use up to 250 pts which are created as viapoints
LifeSong
Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #98
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
if you translate a track to route in WinGDB for a 60 you can use up to 250 pts which are created as viapoints
Yeah, the 50-point limit is for follow roads autoroutes. Direct (off road) routes can have 250 points.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #99
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks this is good to know. A few years ago I created one route for a multiday trip and when I went to use it on the trip, I got the 50 point limit message. This was one a major tipping point moving me to using tracks.

I might start using direct routes for backup plans if a trip exceeds the 20 track limit. I guess another advantage is that you can turn these off and on if you don't want to see them.

But I really like navigating with tracks.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #100
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Quote:
Thanks this is good to know. A few years ago I created one route for a multiday trip and when I went to use it on the trip, I got the 50 point limit message. This was one a major tipping point moving me to using tracks.

I might start using direct routes for backup plans if a trip exceeds the 20 track limit. I guess another advantage is that you can turn these off and on if you don't want to see them.

But I really like navigating with tracks.
it all comes down to practice. It is easy to use tracks without ever learning what can be done with routes.
Practice with routes in non critical places until you are confident with their use...
You will also want to get the concept down on how close you need to get to the viapoints to detect going past the point...forgot the terminology but it is in the "off route" section of the manual...
LifeSong
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #101
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,894
[QUOTE=wbbnm;17731984 I might start using direct routes for backup plans if a trip exceeds the 20 track limit. I guess another advantage is that you can turn these off and on if you don't want to see them. [/QUOTE]

I would say it the other way. The disadvantage is you can only see one Route at a time, the one you are navagating and you can not set the color of that route. You can do what ever you want with tracks.

I use one track for about every 100-130 mi so ona long straight trip like CDR 20 tracks works fine.

There are tricks:

If you have lots of short tracks in a small area, you can combine many short tracks into one as long as they touch. You just have to double back from end of one to last intersection then take add another tract, etc.

You can also name tracks ACTIVE LOG 001, etc and put them in the active log but then you will either erase them when active log if then full of new stuff or set to stop when full and not record active log. In that case active log may record on data card, I am not sure.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #102
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I use one track for about every 100-130 mi so ona long straight trip like CDR 20 tracks works fine.

There are tricks:

If you have lots of short tracks in a small area, you can combine many short tracks into one as long as they touch. You just have to double back from end of one to last intersection then take add another tract, etc.

I do about the same mileage for my tracks. I generally create one track for every long gasolene leg and some of the guys only have 150 mile ranges.

We did a 2500 mile 12 day trip to Death Valley a couple of years ago. I had about 24 tracks or so. Fortunately a couple of the guys had computers along so I was able to swap in new tracks about halfway thru the trip. I started carrying my own computer after that.

I have also used the double back trick to imbed alternate paths in a track.

I was just thinking it might not be horrible if the small track segments were disjointed. There would sometimes be a strange line or two on the screen connecting the disjointed segments. I doubt I will try this anytime soon.

As to practicing routes, yes I need lots and lots and lots of practice and I'm not at all sure it is worth it.
Every time I have tried to use a route, (and I do still try occasionally), the unit does something that really pisses me off and I immediately stop navigating. I have tried to turn off autozooming and auto recalculation, but they seem to keep coming back on.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #103
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Quote:
As to practicing routes, yes I need lots and lots and lots of practice and I'm not at all sure it is worth it.
Every time I have tried to use a route, (and I do still try occasionally), the unit does something that really pisses me off and I immediately stop navigating. I have tried to turn off autozooming and auto recalculation, but they seem to keep coming back on.

do you turn off recalc in the setting of the gps or just when it asks if you want to recalc?
I turn mine off in the setting and have no problem.
LifeSong
Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #104
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
Quote:

You can turn tracks on and off too ("show on map" box in track properties)
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #105
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

DockingPilot made a very interesting comment here that fits in this discussion.
I tried this on an auto routing map to do a little side loop which would not normally be chosen and it works very nicely. I even did a recalc and it kept the little side loop intact.
When I added a point in the route and then recalced the route get messed up.....

I"ve worked with DockingPilot's routes before and wondered how he got the route to do what it did....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...64&postcount=5
LifeSong

BKMLWR screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 05:45 PM