User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2004, 06:28 PM   #1
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,739
Loctite - Blue - Red - Superglue?

I was just checking the missing fastener thread and wondered what experience you might have with alternate glues.

I have a buddy who swears by Loctite Red.

Personally, I get by with some Blue that came with my RT.

I've heard others say they just go to superglue, but that would mess with the plastics very badly.

What do you say crew.....?

Happy Holidays.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
Mully
Kineticist

Oddometer: 3,779
Loctite Blue can generally be removed without heat and with hand tools, where red can't. The only place I can think of on an RT that'd require Red would be the paralever pivot bearing pins; everything else I'd use blue - for example, caliper bolts that you'd remove periodically. You can check Loctite's web site for more info.

mully
Old 12-25-2004, 07:33 PM   #3
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,662
I and many others have had good luck with fingernail polish as a low-strength thread locker. You can paint it on threads as you would blue Loctite or paint it over the exposed end of a bolt. I have also used it as a position marker on critical fasteners so I can tell at a glance if something has loosened up or moved. Best of all, the price can't be beat- there is a good chance someone you know has a dozen bottles of The Wrong Shade Of Red cluttering up a lonely corner of the medicine cabinet. A lateral move to your tool box will clear up valuable real estate and help to erase those bad memories of Slutty Whore #18.

Now, if you want a nut or bolt to stay put for ever, you will have to break down and buy a small tube of the red Loctite. My 2oz tube has lasted me over 10 years, so you don't need to get a lot. Just remember to never apply it to something that can't be heated later, and that the smaller the fastener is the better it works. If you use it to secure that eyeglass screw that keeps working loose it WILL stay put- but you will never be able to replace the lens.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,244
If you're going to take it off again, use blue. If it's there for keeps, use red, if it's a bearing use green.

The red and blue come in neat little sticks now like chapstick. Work great no fuss.
ilmostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 10:16 PM   #5
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Been part of lots of internet debates; oil, tires, bikes, etc but never found the use of blue and red loctite to be of much debate.

Unless ya work on bikes for a live'n, a small tube of red will last for many years. If ya also own a KTM and Norton like I do, ya buy the Blue in 50 gallon drums and ya still turn and look back down the road every time ya hear a clunk to see what just fell off
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 11:20 AM   #6
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,739
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Been part of lots of internet debates; oil, tires, bikes, etc but never found the use of blue and red loctite to be of much debate.

Unless ya work on bikes for a live'n, a small tube of red will last for many years. If ya also own a KTM and Norton like I do, ya buy the Blue in 50 gallon drums and ya still turn and look back down the road every time ya hear a clunk to see what just fell off

Not interested in a debate but in the other alternatives. My RT is long gone, I've gotten by with the blue loctite on my GS's but have acquired a KTM Adventure lc4 and have been told that red is in my future if I want to keep it together. So, nobody has commented on the superglue alternative. Is it a viable alternative to the red loctite? I don't relish having to heat things to remove a bolt......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 11:29 AM   #7
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFidel
Not interested in a debate but in the other alternatives. My RT is long gone, I've gotten by with the blue loctite on my GS's but have acquired a KTM Adventure lc4 and have been told that red is in my future if I want to keep it together.
There is really nut'n you will use red for on yur LC4, 'cause it don't ever come apart again without heat

Super glue? No reason to use it when what is out there, red/blue works so well and is cheap to buy
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
I use threebond tb1360 for most everything. I like it better than loctite. On stuff I don't, axle nuts, pinch bolts etc, I put a dab of auto goop on the heads. Sortof improvised, but I like the goop because it sticks well and yet is easy to peel off with needle nose.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 01:08 PM   #9
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,284
Don't use RED unless you are NEVER going to take it apart... too much of a hassle... BLUE does wonders...
A side note... as it happens on my bike. sometimes "light" or other "wired" connections that are not soldered come apart... I found that "liquid electrical tape" does a great job keeping it all together... just a drop at a connection and it is guarantied not to come apart... They even come in colors now... I also use it on the "nuts" for the throttle bodies... one drop overlapping the nut onto its base... doing a visual check everyday, if you see that the edges of the liquid tape do not match, well, you will know that the nut has turned and the throttle bodies are probably off...
Be well...
Ara
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 01:36 PM   #10
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,715
ktm uses red on all fasteners when your ktm is new. i have always used red (260, 262, or 272) depending on what fasteners i'm dealing with. contrary to popular belief... colour doesn't always mean permanent so check the data sheet. some red loctite is "removable".

regardless of type, or use... loctite can be softened and fasteners removed with a sligt amount of heat.... unless you use "272" or another high temp version. then it'll take a wee bit more heat.

my rules of thumb....

blue - good for fuck all on thumpers.
red - 262 for the ktms, except high temp spots which get 272
green - 680 (me thinks) any worn out races that i'm too lazy to fix right now.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:14 AM   #11
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
I am going with Mostro on this one! Blue works well in most instances! I RED'd a swingarm nut once and had to cut the nut off with a splitter!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #12
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
I am going with Mostro on this one! Blue works well in most instances! I RED'd a swingarm nut once and had to cut the nut off with a splitter!
I would be helpful to mention which Red Loctite you used. Loaded seemed pretty clear that some Reds are not for everywhere (i.e. did you use a high temp red on a swingarm bolt? did you try to heat it first before cutting the bugger off?).

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:22 PM   #13
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Don't remember, guess it was automotive grade RED. I know we heated the nut repeatedly trying to get it off without luck. Finally had to split it. Been more than a few years ago.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:33 PM   #14
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Blue to me is kind of like nylock nut threads. It just seems to gum the threads up enough that the vibes won't loosen things. It doesn't really seem to make it any more difficult to break them loose, but they just they won't spin freely at all making it just a tad more work to get the fastener free after breaking it loose.

Now I do use the red sparingly and strategically, but I've certainly never had the problems some of these others are reporting breaking them loose. The red treated fasteners definitely take a lot more to break them loose, but I'm usually in my shop and just grab the big breaker bar or air impact wrench and off they come. I've never had to do anything more to a fastener with red. I've never needed heat, cutting or anything else more drastic than the impact wrench to get them off. YMMV.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 02:18 PM   #15
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
Blue to me is kind of like nylock nut threads. It just seems to gum the threads up enough that the vibes won't loosen things. It doesn't really seem to make it any more difficult to break them loose, but they just they won't spin freely at all making it just a tad more work to get the fastener free after breaking it loose.

Now I do use the red sparingly and strategically, but I've certainly never had the problems some of these others are reporting breaking them loose. The red treated fasteners definitely take a lot more to break them loose, but I'm usually in my shop and just grab the big breaker bar or air impact wrench and off they come. I've never had to do anything more to a fastener with red. I've never needed heat, cutting or anything else more drastic than the impact wrench to get them off. YMMV.
Which Red Loctite you usin' Steve?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote