User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Reeksy OP
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 863
The not the Mount Barney Ride ride report

To Mount Barney! (that's in South East Queensland, Australia )

A chance for a few days away came up unexpectedly and I thought, my first chance to take the KLR for a multiple day ride. Sorry, I mean, a chance to spend quality time with my wife

We had a great time at Easter down near Boonah and two memories stood out.

1 – We weren’t well enough to climb Mt Barney
2 – There were lots of tempting looking dirt roads disappearing off down valleys.

SWVTBS (She Who Volunteered To Be Support) said she would follow on in the Defender if I promised there would be good time for bushwalking, so Mt Barney it was to be!

I jumped on ADV and asked about good routes given the limited time we had to plan.

And then….

WTF was I doing sitting in a servo in Bundaberg (500kms north of Mt Barney) looking at a gaping hole in a BMW where sensible bikes keep their fuel?

Stick with me.

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Reeksy OP
high state of hiatus

Of mice and men...

In the season I spent navigating rally cars in the UK I learnt the key to success is good planning.

I learnt this by paying the price for not planning. The equally disorganised driver and I inevitably turning up late in a half-complete car, losing maps out of the window and generally making sure other people had a more successful event than us.

But we had a bloody good time

So if the key to success is planning, I say the key to good fun is flexibility... and this trip was going to be a lesson in that.

So two nights before our trip to Mt Barney, when the rain came tumbling down and the weathermen said it’s gonna be a washout for the next four days, we said bugger it, we’ll go up to Bundaberg, pester the in-laws, take a trip or two from there and go find some places we’ve never been.

The nice thing about having a 4x4 behind me is the ability to take lots of useless crap!

And we’re off!

Reeksy screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 10:55 PM
Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Reeksy OP
high state of hiatus

To Bundy on the back roads

Getting away from the Sunny Coast we planned to get off the Bruce and into the trees asap. So headed towards the old family shortcut taking the twisties through Pomona, Kin-Kin and along Counter Road… where at last I hit some dirt!

At the end of Counter Road

Counter Road was in reasonably good shape, plenty of potholes to see how my forks were fairing since changing the oil from whatever the previous owner put in at some time in the distant past.

Verdict – better.

From here we had hoped to weave through the forestry trails marked on our map …

We crossed Tin Can Bay Road and headed up through Kia Ora and Neerdie looking for a turn off that never appeared.

We ended up faced with our greatest foe, the utter bastard that is…

The Bruce Bloody Highway.

After a couple-a k’s of that we lurched back into the bush, cutting through the trees, until, having failed to find any more suitable turns (but having run across dairy farmers herding cows on horseback) we hit the Tin Can Bay Road AGAIN, just down the road from where we’d first started.

Bugger.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Reeksy OP
high state of hiatus

Slabbin’ it

SWVTBS reckoned this was a “great adventure”, but was more interested in a coffee right now. So, to Maryborough without delay.

After refreshment, reflecting on the hour or so detour, we opted to get the thing over with and hasten to Bundy … home of the outlaws.

(no that’s not the MIL J )

These guys were back from a South American odyssey (6 weeks on the road) and on return the FIL’s 650 XC was found to be out of starting juice.

We had a relaxing afternoon while he picked up a trickle charger to sort the out the battery. Then we had a slap-up BBQ with friends.

As nice as it is to hang around their bush block, I was raring to get going the next day, hoping the FIL (Jacques) would show me the best the region has to offer.

After the night’s indulgences, though, we were a bit slow to get going.

… then a bit slow turned into a bit of a nightmare.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
Reeksy OP
high state of hiatus

A bit of a nightmare

On the morning of a ride I always have a distinct jumpy-wanna-get-going-it’s-light-now-awwww-c’mon-everyone-it’s-christmas!!!! feeling. I’m sure you know the one

This morning it seems Santa was asleep on the job, stuck in the chimney … or just in a real friggin’ bad mood.

First stop, fuel.

We fill up. We start engines.

Correction. I start engine.

Jacques' engine’s not turning over, so on the forecourt of the BP station in Bundaberg we’re trying bumping and jumping, but all to no avail. The battery’s boiling its little exide arse off.

It’s Sunday morning and I’m literally nearly bursting out of my Dri-riders in frustration. Why the flock does this have to happen now?

Jacques says he can take my bike and head off around town to look for a battery. I’m thinking “no chance in a little town like this on a Sunday!”, but I’m biting my tongue and counting to one thousand (it might as well have been 7200).

He heads off to Supercheap Auto (for the non-Aussies, yes that is what it’s called) and I’m left holding the baby… and I’m really pleased about it, too.

Friggety frig.

Rather than do nothing I start calling all the other car/bike shops in town to see if they’ll stock the right battery.

After ten minutes on the phone to Autobarn the guy says “we’ve got your mate here, I think.”

… time passes and I eat an ice cream.

I call the wife, MIL and Uncle-in-law who we were supposed to be meeting for lunch and tell them not to wait for us, we’ll be heading back to get the ute and recovering the stooooopid powerless bike.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
Hunsta
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz

(no that’s not the MIL J )

damn well looks like mine though.
Interesting story so far.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,142
Reeksy

Looking good so far. On the Mt. Barney area I know nothing. But next time you're looking for the good tracks Pomona-Maryborough and beyond, give us a whistle. If I'd known I could've given you the tour.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
Hunsta
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz

Jacques' engine’s not turning over, so on the forecourt of the BP station in Bundaberg we’re trying bumping and jumping, but all to no avail. The battery’s boiling its little exide arse off.

I could be wrong but does that sound like a shagged regulator/rectifirer?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
Reeksy OP
high state of hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop
Reeksy

Looking good so far. On the Mt. Barney area I know nothing. But next time you're looking for the good tracks Pomona-Maryborough and beyond, give us a whistle. If I'd known I could've given you the tour.
Thanks woopwoop, if only i'd known!

Still, we'll have to get together for a tour sometime in the new year if the offer holds.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
Reeksy OP
high state of hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsta
I could be wrong but does that sound like a shagged regulator/rectifirer?
Not sure ...

Old 11-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
Reeksy OP
high state of hiatus

The energizer bunny

So two hours have passed, it’s hot and I’m sitting in the shade of the big BP signage out the front of the servo, becoming increasingly depressed, when I spot the energizer bunny … or something damn near resembling it.

I get thumbs up from some bloke on a bike that looks just like mine. Oh, yeah, it’s Jacques arriving back with a grin spread across his Arai.

He’d forgotten to take his phone, hence the fact I had no flippin’ idea what was going on.

Turned out the guy at Autobarn said he could get the battery tomorrow, Jacques whinged at him and then the guy made a call or two and found someone on a Sunday morning who could supply … but wouldn’t say who it was. Jacques had to hang around while the secret contact delivered it and still refused to say where it came from.

So, one gel battery later, and we’re back in business and on our way to lunch at full speed!

Jacques led me through some dusty back roads to Booyal crossing, I could tell it’s been wet recently, and I could tell it caused a nasty pasty surface, ‘cos I was all on avoiding tramlining the 4x4 slither marks. Then the surface would change completely to deep gravel.

I was having fun

Old 11-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
Reeksy OP
high state of hiatus

Civilised lunch

We arrived at Booyal Crossing to meet the ‘support crew’ (lunch carriers). They’d been up for a look-see at Paradise Dam, and as it’s been nice and wet round here recently the overflow was feeding the creek where we stopped for lunch and there was a roaring current for a little dip.

Paradise Dam

Booyal Crossing

Time for a cool down

Old 11-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
Reeksy OP
high state of hiatus

Goodnight Scrub

Crossing the river we set off on the tracks towards Goodnight Scrub National Park, and only got about 500m before my bike started making strange rattly noises. We stopped to see if we could figure it out … there was nothing obvious so kept going.

It was great wide track gravel road with wide sweeping corners and no sign of other vehicles so we opened up and made up for lost time, eventually reaching a view of Paradise Dam through the bush.

After this the roads got progressively narrow, the support crew decided to head off a different route home, and we started picking random turnings to ‘investigate.’

At one turning we came across four other bikes said hi and carried on.

Then we took the narrowest track of all, dodging lantana tentacles that were reaching out at us, the occasional roo and a fair few goannas and lizards.

I was out front, not particularly pinning it, but having a ball, when I had a thought…

Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Reeksy OP
high state of hiatus

“Why is this track so overgrown?” ...

Then I came around a corner and began a steep (photos don’t show that unfortunately) rocky descent, followed by a big green carpet.

Make that a salvinia swamp!

Paradise Dam is only a few years old, and I’m guessing this old track disappeared under a finger of the dam.

So back we went the other way

Meanwhile the support guys were getting views over the area and hanging out with eagles on One Tree Hill.

As the afternoon wore on we passed another sunken scene, where the dam had swallowed a road completely … you might just make out the road sign sticking up out of the water here

Then it was back to Bundaberg, via Mt Perry lookout, home just as it got dark, ready to plan the next day’s ride... with good company, good food, and good beer

Old 11-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Oddometer: 1,069
I Like it

Adventure On!!
tksmith is offline   Reply With Quote