User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
firemedic309 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
KLR 650 petcock

The petcock on my 06 is not working ...It will not shut the gas off and the reserve doesn't work (ran out of gas today) What do you think I should do just replace it with old school petcock(non-vacuum) or is a diaphragm rebuild in order.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic309 View Post
The petcock on my 06 is not working ...It will not shut the gas off and the reserve doesn't work (ran out of gas today) What do you think I should do just replace it with old school petcock(non-vacuum) or is a diaphragm rebuild in order.
Yes, a rebuild is very easy. Have you checked to make sure the vacuum is ooperating. Easy to bypass that too. Take it off, apart and have a look (after the tank is drained...)
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 167
As long as your carburetor is working properly, specifically the float valve, I'd install a manual petcock. When I switched to an IMS tank, I switched to a manual petcock at the same time. You can buy the manual cock from Eagle Mike or buy it directly from a dealer. It's a Yamaha ATV part, part number 5LP-24500-01-00. When it's all said and done, it's about the same price from Eagle Mike shipped as it is from a dealer. The pickup tubes are a bit lower on the manual petcock, so you won't have as much reserve, but you'll be able to suck almost all of the fuel out of the tank (at least on the left side).

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddspaintballs View Post
As long as your carburetor is working properly, specifically the float valve, I'd install a manual petcock. When I switched to an IMS tank, I switched to a manual petcock at the same time. You can buy the manual cock from Eagle Mike or buy it directly from a dealer. It's a Yamaha ATV part, part number 5LP-24500-01-00. When it's all said and done, it's about the same price from Eagle Mike shipped as it is from a dealer. The pickup tubes are a bit lower on the manual petcock, so you won't have as much reserve, but you'll be able to suck almost all of the fuel out of the tank (at least on the left side).
Agreed.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic309 View Post
After fighting vacuum issues and rebuilding my petcock twice, I got pissed off and scrapped the whole damn thing; best move I ever made. That damn petcock was a continuous source of problems (at least for me), and since scrapping the damn thing, I haven't had a single issue whatsoever.
HanShotFirst is offline   Reply With Quote