Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
1stworks OP
dude

Oddometer: 1,613
Xr400r Adventure Bike

My xr story starts with the itch to ride some nasty
single track here in colorado.I find this pristine 98 xr4.
One owner bike w/ manuals and title.This dude maybe
put a couple hundred miles on the bike.I took the bike to Rampart
trail system to see if i liked it.Oh I really liked it!!!
Heres the bike right after i got it bone stock except for baja designs
kit minus turn signals they had to go.

Before

I knew i need some more fuel range so i added 4 gal IMS tank,
Acerbis headlight, Pro taper bars, Cycra Pro Bend hand protection
Moose skid plate, GPS mount for 276c, KTM 625 sxc mirror,
FMF rear pipe w/ sparky and quite insert.

AFTER

I really like riding this bike.Its so dam relliable and easy to kick start.
It top speed is only 73-76 mph but in the tight stuff it cant be
beat.

enjoy

firstworks
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
Those things are the most reliable !

Two things I wish they would have had.
  1. Magic Button
  2. Hot start
Why hot start, you will find out after the first time you lay her down..
Just remember to use the decompression lever.....LOL
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
well....definately a great bike to start out with...i had owned 3 of it which i just sold the last one 2months ago...a do it all bike....everyday workhorse,sunday trail riding,and occasion race bike...hmm...wat more could i ask?more power perhaps...
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
1stworks OP
dude

xr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiv
Those things are the most reliable !

Two things I wish they would have had.
  1. Magic Button
  2. Hot start
Why hot start, you will find out after the first time you lay her down..
Just remember to use the decompression lever.....LOL
Got it hot in the sand couple times and it never took more than
15-20 kicks w/ wide open throttle to start it.
Its only draw back is its not scary fast?

more here http://firstworks.smugmug.com/gallery/2122402#109782464

firstworks
Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
here's my workhorse XR doing the Sunday getaway trail..

and here's a friend"s XR..not so lucky...but bike is a kickass without a problem to start later...

KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,564
I've had an XR500R, XR600R, XR650R, and finally got around to the XR400R after a few KTM's in the middle.

This '96 just took me from El Paso to Batopilas and back this last week, about 1100 miles altogether - without a hint of trouble.

Kenda K760's with UHD Michelin 4mm tubes, Devol guards all around, IMS pegs & shifter, RK x-ring, Clarke 3.8 tank, CO plated with a brake light switch & mirror. Cycra guards, Renthal Fatbars, gripper seat cover, beefy skidplate and oil filter cover plate.
Wiseco 11.5:1 in stock bore, homemade pvc rack to hold Aerostich panniers and MotionPro tool packs. Running stock 15/45 gearing on the Copper Canyon trip, also have 13 & 14 & 48 for a wide variety of combos.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present

Blakebird screwed with this post 03-30-2007 at 06:42 PM
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,170
How's that headlight Scott? Does it put out descent light?

Looks great, not it's time to scratch it up!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
oziexplorer
fugarewe tribe member

Oddometer: 1,170
Thumb XR4's Do a great job

I love the lighter weight of the XR400
I'm still kitting mine out.
Yet to get:
BRP Triple clamp & under-bars Steering Damper setup
IMS/Wider footpegs
Vapor Trip Computer
RickyStator 150W[?] stator
Alloy Front disc guard (I like the Devol on the blakebird's XR4)
Leather Kelly Enduro Front toolbag
Acerbis folding mirrors
Russell Fork Speed Bleeders
Staintune's full exhaust system
maybe a Mikuni flat-slide
I'm also going to try the "hot-water method" for expanding the 22L Acerbis Tank (I've bought a spare ...just in case); but to be honest, on the last desert trip, where these pics were taken; I averaged 16-17km/L (40mpg) running 15/46 gearing; which means I can squeeze about 330km out of the Acerbis Tank.
Attached Images

oziexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
1stworks OP
dude

headlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
How's that headlight Scott? Does it put out descent light?

Looks great, not it's time to scratch it up!
I have not used it at night yet?
I did a side job and got the light for free.
I really like the look.kinda like new ktm 690 stack light.

firstworks
Old 03-23-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
Flatulator
Banned

Oddometer: 733
frankly - I think the formula that an XR400 conforms to is just about the perfect real dual sport

Motor is big enough for the bike to be "fast enough" on pavement - and yet its a whole lot lighter and far more nimble to be waaaay more 'dirtbike' than any of the 650's

- and then you have the simplicity (and lack of parts/systems to break/break down) of being air cooled and k-start only - and if anybody can't k-start a bike like an XR400 they maybe shouldn't be riding motorcycles.

I think its just about "the perfect bike"

Which is just about must be the absolute truth - - since nobody makes any such bike for sale street legal.

How many guys ask the question "what bike should I buy ?????" - and a street legal XR400 would be the answer - except nobody 'makes one'
Flatulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
frankly - I think the formula that an XR400 conforms to is just about the perfect real dual sport

Motor is big enough for the bike to be "fast enough" on pavement - and yet its a whole lot lighter and far more nimble to be waaaay more 'dirtbike' than any of the 650's

- and then you have the simplicity (and lack of parts/systems to break/break down) of being air cooled and k-start only - and if anybody can't k-start a bike like an XR400 they maybe shouldn't be riding motorcycles.

I think its just about "the perfect bike"

Which is just about must be the absolute truth - - since nobody makes any such bike for sale street legal.

How many guys ask the question "what bike should I buy ?????" - and a street legal XR400 would be the answer - except nobody 'makes one'
just move to colorado and it's easy to make it street legal.
OR
move to italy and buy one already to go:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #12
Flatulator
Banned

Oddometer: 733
yeah - and thats not the point bub

My state is as easy as yours to get'em street legal.
- and I have connections to make it even easier (cops that ride enduros)

but again that not the point

The point is that - nobody makes and sells "one of those" in the US

DRZ400 is the closest (and frankly "just as good" - if not better) - except that it has lost the simplicity - now thats either good or bad.

- and the modern XC KTMs - waaaay better dirt bikes than most of the people who buy them 'need'.

In the "old days" - ya had the XT350 and DR350 and at one time the XL350 with the modern motor (1985?) - all really quite good bikes for what most people ACTUALLY do with them.
Flatulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
You guys really sound like you know your XR400's

So I hope you don't mind me asking a few potentially stupid questions about the XR400. I have done a lot of research on the bike and it sounds perfect for my intended use, which is mostly dirt riding, gravel roads and single track, but with the ability to put a plate on it and ride the highway to the next dirt trail. I like the fact that its a very simple machine, and I don't mind the kickstart, but here are my concerns: (For reference I have three years experience on a KLR and am OK on gravel roads and some very mild single track, but add mud, and/or a slow windy single track, throw in a few logs to get over, and I spent more time picking the bike up and pushing it than riding.) I have about a 29" inseam, and am hoping to move from a beginner/intermediate dirt rider level to intermediate/experienced, is this bike too tall for me to learn good dirt biking skills? (My fat ass with gear is around 250# so I would prefer not too lower the suspension to make the bike fit.) Second question is in regards to the weight, the stats suggest it weighs around 300# wet, but where is the weight, down low or up high? I keep getting varying opinions on this, some say it feels light, so the weight is down low, but others say its top heavy, which is it? Again, for reference, straddling the ex-KLR, if it achieved more than a 20 degree lean angle, it was in the dirt, no stopping it. I tried on a Husky TE610 at the dealer, and touched the handlebar end to the ground while straddling the bike and still was able to stand it back up. (I like the Husky, but a little more $ than what I want to spend right now, and there's just something about the reliability and longevity of a Honda.) Finally, are there any pitfalls with only air cooling, and if so what are they? I don't plan to do any commuting or city riding on this bike, so is air cooling going to be OK for everything else? I really like the idea of no radiators to bash in. Thanks for your knowledgable replies.
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger
is this bike too tall for me to learn good dirt biking skills? (My fat ass with gear is around 250# so I would prefer not too lower the suspension to make the bike fit.)

Second question is in regards to the weight, the stats suggest it weighs around 300# wet, but where is the weight, down low or up high?

Finally, are there any pitfalls with only air cooling, and if so what are they? I don't plan to do any commuting or city riding on this bike, so is air cooling going to be OK for everything else? I really like the idea of no radiators to bash in. Thanks for your knowledgable replies.
1. Nope, not too tall at all. Its a very average sized dirt bike, you shouldn't have any trouble, if you do it will be down to technique rather than physique.

2. Its rated at about 260lbs dry, wet will depend on how much fuel etc you carry. Its quite a bit lighter than a DRZ-S. Weight feels like its lower than a DRZ or TE610. Aircooled bikes tend to be like that.

3. You can't get much power/cc from an aircooled motor in general (as compared to H2O cooled motors). For reference an XR400 makes almost exactly the same amount of power as a CRF250R, but does it in a much more grunty, slow revving fashion. If your ok with that air cooling will do you just fine. For low performance bikes air cooling makes sense, for race bikes it doesn't (this isn't to say watercooling can't also make sense for low performance bikes though). About the only practical difference is its reliability will go down fast with major mods as it will get too hot. Provided you don't plan to try to get 45+ hp out of it you'll be fine with air cooling. It will need oil changes more often than your KLR but no big deal.

For the record I don't own an XR400 but have ridden them a bit and my riding buddies used to ride them a lot when they were the hot thing to have. I've also ridden most other dirt bikes made and owned many of them. Currently I ride a CR250R and a DR250SE and am working on a DR350SE.

The DR's are similar to the XR400, but a bit older tech. Suspension isn't as good, they don't handle quite as well and they don't make quite as much power. They are e-start, super smooth running, last forever and have 6spd transmissions. Overal the DR's are perfect for relaxed dual sporting - if you want to push hard and fast off road the chassis aren't up to it. They will go anywhere, but not super quickly. The XR is no race bike but with an experenced rider it will cover technical terrian more quickly. The DR's are at a bit lower state of tune and will probably last a bit longer although both motors will last almost forever.

have fun

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger
...the stats suggest it weighs around 300# wet, ...
IIRC, Honda claims wet weights as: 400R @ 270, the 600R @ just under 300# and the 650R just over.

I have a d/s XR400, big tank, nice seat, GPR, etc etc.. great bike. definitely a keeper. Old School looks and a little down on power vs. its comtemporaries.. otherwise there's just not many nits to pick with it
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote