Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
genuflector OP
I want to cross that

Oddometer: 64
KTM EXC 450-500 Best Dual Sport Bikes mods

Hi
I'm thinking in to prepare a EXC 500 for long rides-trips.
My question is:
Has somebody experience with the Best Dual Sport Bikes high capacity cluth cover?
http://http://bestdualsportbikes.com/high-capacity-clutch-cover-for-ktm/
And with their end cap exhaust and "black box" exhaust chamber?
I have been looking at threads about it but I can't find any useful info.
http://http://bestdualsportbikes.com/2014-ktm-450-500-excxcf-w-products/
Thanks!!

genuflector screwed with this post 05-05-2015 at 10:57 AM
genuflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:04 AM   #2
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 1,085
My 2014 is prepared for long distance adventure rides. Although I do not have the HDB cover, I did install a high capacity cover from another company. Any time you increase oil capacity your are helping the engine to live longer. Better protection if your crash too. Be sure to install a protector plate on the ignition side also.

As for other mods, loose the stock radiator hoses for silicone, install A Cush hub from Rad Racing, ( yes I know there is a clutch Cush drive), and balance the wheels. I ride mine on 1,000 mile 80% offroad trips on a regular basis, with a giant loop tail and tank bag.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #3
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,972
A Renazco seat would top my list.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
genuflector OP
I want to cross that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
A Renazco seat would top my list.
Thanks for the answers, yes a cush hub was already in my list together with a Seat Concepts upgrade.
As I will need more range I will also install the 5.3 gal tank, not being tall is an advantage, I can ride with half a tank for shorter rides if needed.
And finally I will use, as in my 690, the HDB tower, lights, hand guards combo, a winner IMO.

But the question is about specially the end cap for the exhaust and the box, both are supposed, with the Euro mapping to give more grunt with less noise. Sensitive ears they have here our police officers
Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
genuflector OP
I want to cross that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
My 2014 is prepared for long distance adventure rides. Although I do not have the HDB cover, I did install a high capacity cover from another company. Any time you increase oil capacity your are helping the engine to live longer. Better protection if your crash too. Be sure to install a protector plate on the ignition side also.

As for other mods, loose the stock radiator hoses for silicone, install A Cush hub from Rad Racing, ( yes I know there is a clutch Cush drive), and balance the wheels. I ride mine on 1,000 mile 80% offroad trips on a regular basis, with a giant loop tail and tank bag.
Which is the brand from your high capacity cover?
Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
danptobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Ive got the end cap. It works but does make as much noise as a complete silencer but costs less the big bottom kit works very well also.
danptobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuflector View Post
Which is the brand from your high capacity cover?
Old 05-09-2015, 05:26 AM   #8
Tilerdemon
n00b

Oddometer: 8
How much more oil does the Airtime product hold. I have been eyeing these covers but not able to identify the increased capacity. Have previously purchased other Airtime products and very happy with the quality. Thanks!
Tilerdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #9
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

When I did the requisite oil change to swap the cover, I poured the factory 1.59 quarts in and checked the sight glass. It was at the extreme bottom. I use a ratio right to fill and I think I added an additional pint and just a bit more to get me to the top 1/4 of the glass. Sorry I was not more accurate in my measurement. I'll be exact next change.

Since then I've changed out the radiators for some bigger units. Chinese made were the only ones available but they seem to work OK. Had a bit of problem getting the right model from Winner Racing in Hong Kong on ebay. They listed only one model for all KTM's which we know isn't right. After a bad rating they finally sent me the correct part.

Reason for all this: the 500 tends to run the fan immediately. The thermostat hoses are too restrictive, so I opted for silicone hoses, bypassing the thermostat and going with a larger radiator.

My long distance 500 will be finished this weekend, since it's raining in Los Angeles, (who wudda thought), I'm wrapping her up for the AZBDR in a few weeks.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:59 AM   #10
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
When I did the requisite oil change to swap the cover, I poured the factory 1.59 quarts in and checked the sight glass. It was at the extreme bottom. I use a ratio right to fill and I think I added an additional pint and just a bit more to get me to the top 1/4 of the glass. Sorry I was not more accurate in my measurement. I'll be exact next change.

Since then I've changed out the radiators for some bigger units. Chinese made were the only ones available but they seem to work OK. Had a bit of problem getting the right model from Winner Racing in Hong Kong on ebay. They listed only one model for all KTM's which we know isn't right. After a bad rating they finally sent me the correct part.

Reason for all this: the 500 tends to run the fan immediately. The thermostat hoses are too restrictive, so I opted for silicone hoses, bypassing the thermostat and going with a larger radiator.

My long distance 500 will be finished this weekend, since it's raining in Los Angeles, (who wudda thought), I'm wrapping her up for the AZBDR in a few weeks.

How often do you plan to change the oil on your long trips?

Are you going to carry premium oil or just try to find something good on the road?

If you do get something on the road what would you be looking for?

I currently ride a 690 on long off-road trips and it burns about half a quart in maybe 800 miles. There is not much selection of synthetic wet-clutch oils in most of the towns we stop in.

I got a 500 earlier this year and may consider it for long trips in the future.

wbbnm screwed with this post 05-09-2015 at 08:17 AM
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:09 AM   #11
genuflector OP
I want to cross that

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post

Are you going to carry premium oil or just try to find something good on the road?

I currently ride a 690 on long off-road trips and it burns about half a quart in maybe 800 miles. There is not much selection of synthetic wet-clutch oils in most of the towns we stop in.

I'm in the same case, I have been using the my '14 690 for long off road trips but I'd like something lighter. The 690 needs some oil depending on conditions, so I carry the quantity I think I might need depending on the trip as the Motorex I use on it is not easy to get.
My point is that I might need to carry the same quantity of oil with the 500, the only difference is that instead of refilling it you just will have to simply replace it, that's why my interest in bigger clutch covers. Indeed the 500 is around 30KG! lighter.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #12
genuflector OP
I want to cross that

Quote:

Could you please show us some pics of those radiators? which model are they? where exactly you got them?
Cheers
Old 05-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #13
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post

On the UTBDR last year, I changed the oil at the halfway mark, 600 miles, 700 on the route and 500 back to my truck. I didn't need to though. The oil was clear. As for oil, I bought synthetic from a auto parts store. My thoughts are to now change oil every thousand miles or even 1500, or when I get home after a ride. I just completed 600 miles in Death Valley a few weeks ago, again changing the oil when I got home. The oil was almost clear with over 400 miles on dusty trails and 200 miles on 70 plus MPH. It was Motul, expensive, so from here I will only change based on how I ride.

I also have the 690 and have set it up with rally raid kit to do even longer offroad trips.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuflector View Post
Could you please show us some pics of those radiators? which model are they? where exactly you got them?
Cheers

This is the tank they first sent me sans the sensor hole. The new one is on it's way from Hong Kong. Will be here on Monday. Once mounted, I'll shoot some pics and post.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #15
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

As promised. Right tank mounted.

Bike is almost ready for a 1000 miler.

Got to have the GPS