User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
briancorneal OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
garbing permanent controller still draws when off

I installed my permanent gerbing single temp controller the week before thanksgiving, then went on thanksgiving vacation, came back and my battery was so dead that it wouldn't register on my "smart charger". It worked just fine before I left, but I did notice a couple of times my klr 650 (2011) struggled to start. Finally, I charged it, but I noticed a little draw on my battery, so I started checking wires. Even when the controller is off, and nothing is plugged into it, I can read approx 8.9volts from the plug I plug my cord into for my heated gloves. I pulled the switch from the gerbing controller off, thinking the shrink-wrap didn't form a tight seal around the connection, and with it off, it still ready 8.9 volts. What gives? Besides pulling my tank off and inspecting the entire gerbing cord, what can I do? I have nothing else electrical installed but the controller. Any help would be nice!
briancorneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
KansasKawboy
KK

Oddometer: 809
Wire it through a relay so it is only hot when the key is on.
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #3
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasKawboy View Post
Wire it through a relay so it is only hot when the key is on.
Excellent "fail safe" work-around, IMHO.

Otherwise, suggest the OP measure the resistance of the controller terminals when OFF; if less than infinity, contact Gerbing's customer service, inquiring what resistance should be found, under service standards.

If a parasitic drain is unacceptable, Gerbing may service your gear under "lifetime warranty." At one time, all Gerbing gear enjoyed such support. Since the firm has changed hands, not sure what warranty policy might be in effect.

------------------------

EDIT: From Internet research, I see the original Gerbing company is no more, its assets having been sold twice in recent years. Significance: Forget about the lifetime warranty, issued by a now non-existent company. A Gerbing lifetime warranty is now as useful as Confederate money.

Yet, like the phoenix, a new entity rises from its ashes: Gordon's Heated Clothing, run by the founder and original Gerbing family; made-in-America products; lifetime warranty for some merchandise.

Somewhat misleading; current owner of once-Gerbing assets continues to use name of "Gerbing," but does not assume responsibility for honoring warranties issued by the previous company. Claims to have made heated clothing for forty years; in fact, hasn't made heated clothing for even four years. Trading on a predecessor's cachet of reputation and prestige, but denying responsibility for the predecessor's products, pushes the envelope (if not rupturing it) of sound business ethics, IMHO, but . . . no lawyer, I.

I'm not encouraged/incentivized to trade with the current incarnation of the "Gerbing" enterprise, especially since authentic genealogy exists with Gordon's Heated Clothing; other sources exist as well.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 12-08-2014 at 08:33 AM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
briancorneal OP
n00b

Whoa. I also found out that the led power indicator is dead with the switch on or off. Hmmmm. Maybe a defective unit. Thanks for the response guys!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancorneal View Post
Whoa. I also found out that the led power indicator is dead with the switch on or off. Hmmmm. Maybe a defective unit. Thanks for the response guys!
If Gerbing won't replace it, try a Warm and Safe controller the next time.
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
briancorneal OP
n00b

I'll check it out
Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Square1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Old Mister Gerbing is alive and well , he had to sell his business because of medical reasons.
He is back now with www.gordonsheated.com
Square1 is offline   Reply With Quote