Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2015, 02:32 AM   #1
Rogeramjet OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
KLR650: BIG chunks of metal behind oil screen. help!

Hi guys,

I think this might be my first post, definitely been lurking about on this forum a while though. It's an amazing resource.

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. Let me know if it's not.

So... I stacked my bike (2001 klr650 C) and snapped the gear shift shaft, not just the lever, the actual shaft that goes all the way through to the right crankcase.

So im in the process of fixing it, everything is going fine, I've got the new shaft in and I'm ready to reassemble. As I'm cleaning the gunk off the oil screen, I stick my finger in the hole and start pulling out huge shards of metal! There are four and it looks like a washer that's been chewed up somewhere in the engine! I almost have the full washer, but it's still missing a couple of bits. It seems to be the same size as the hole that the oil screen fits into. Yup, seriously huge!

So. Any ideas what it is? It's not the doo, I've done that and it looks nothing like it. The bike has been running perfectly, no rattles, nothing. Where the Hell did this mystery washer come from!?

Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome, I wanna get back on the road.
Thanks, Nic.
Rogeramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
This should be in the thumpers section, then the klr thread. A picture might help.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2912&page=1022

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,793
there is a washer on the doo shaft, behind the idler gear. it is known to fall off when the shaft is removed. the shaft doesn't even need to come out of the gear, it only has to be pulled away from the case & the washer will drop off.... it rolls into the sump

92026B

I might add that it is easy to do, and easy to miss because the washer is hidden behind the gear and there is a really big hole in the case right below it (and slightly to the right).. its where all the return oil from that side of the engine gets back to the sump.

might not be it, but thats what leaps to mind

Beezer screwed with this post 01-21-2015 at 12:16 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
Rogeramjet OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks beezer! You got it, spot on.
Turns out I should have done the doo myself, turns out the professional I got to do it left a loose washer rattling around in my engine! Two years later I find it and very luckily there's no major damage to my bike. Now it's wait 3 weeks for a washer to be sent from Japan. Lame. I'm just going to get a machinist friend to fab one up for me.
Thanks for your help, I learned Alot!
Nic
Rogeramjet is offline   Reply With Quote