User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
jimijlondon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
klr600 compression

haven't had time to go over it properly, only just happened but this is the story so far:

ran out of petrol on my way home the other day, went and got some petrol, went high octane (98 as opposed to 95) i don't know why just thought I would. got the bike home and got it on a stand to change the tyres. took a bit longer than expected as i didn't have rim protectors and soon discovered i needed them, made some myself and got the tube changed, tried to pump it up and i'd messed up and pinched the tube. figured "oh forget it i'm a take it the wheel to a shop and have them do it" got it done and put the wheel on, took it of the stand to start it (that's all by way of a preamble)

IMPORTANT BIT: bike just span on ignition, didn't even try to catch. i figure maybe the electric starter gear has come loose or something, i'll try the kick. go to the kickstart and very very little resistance. can push it round with my hand which i've never been able to do before, it seems to be turning the piston though as it makes a little noise in the engine and there is little bit of resistance. I put it in gear to check my disconnected starter gear theory and the electric start does engage the gearbox and move the bike foraward.

What do you reckon? seems like no compression right?

just seems a bit weird as there haven't really been any problems starting it until today, half choke and it has allways started immediately
jimijlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
jimijlondon OP
Adventurer

klr600 compression issue I think

Hey all, posted this in thumpers too but figured I might be able to get some help here

haven't had time to go over it properly, only just happened but this is the story so far:

ran out of petrol on my way home the other day, went and got some petrol, went high octane (98 as opposed to 95) i don't know why just thought I would. got the bike home and got it on a stand to change the tyres. took a bit longer than expected as i didn't have rim protectors and soon discovered i needed them, made some myself and got the tube changed, tried to pump it up and i'd messed up and pinched the tube. figured "oh forget it i'm a take it the wheel to a shop and have them do it" got it done and put the wheel on, took it of the stand to start it (that's all by way of a preamble)

IMPORTANT BIT: bike just span on ignition, didn't even try to catch. i figure maybe the electric starter gear has come loose or something, i'll try the kick. go to the kickstart and very very little resistance. can push it round with my hand which i've never been able to do before, it seems to be turning the piston though as it makes a little noise in the engine and there is little bit of resistance. I put it in gear to check my disconnected starter gear theory and the electric start does engage the gearbox and move the bike foraward.

What do you reckon? seems like no compression right?

just seems a bit weird as there haven't really been any problems starting it until today, half choke and it has allways started immediately

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I don't know your issue, but I have a 600 motor sitting in my garage right now. It's missing the kick start but otherwise complete. Unsure the status inside but have it if ya need it.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Those should have an automatic compression release on the end of the exhaust cam. Maybe that is what you are feeling? First thought anyway.

Now that I read it again and think a little more, you need to inspect the cam chain. When that breaks it often does so in a position that keeps some valves at least a little open. At that point it spins freely (electric starter or kick starter) and no compression. Since it didn't happen at speed, there is a better chance of less damage. It can range from nothing more then fixing the chain and everything is happy all the way to valves crashed into piston, everything is ruined.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,772
Merged. Thumpers is the right place for your thread.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,418
I'm thinkin compression release too
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
Yep. X3 on the KACR, at least the best place to start. Pull the cover off and inspect compression release for proper operation. Disable and run test or just kick it over and see if you now have resistance.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
jimijlondon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky151 View Post
I don't know your issue, but I have a 600 motor sitting in my garage right now. It's missing the kick start but otherwise complete. Unsure the status inside but have it if ya need it.
Mate that is damned kind of you, I'm in London though so postage would probably be prohibitively expensive and I'd have to ask you to arrange it which would be too much to ask. Thanks for the offer man, damned kind of you
Old 04-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
jimijlondon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Those should have an automatic compression release on the end of the exhaust cam. Maybe that is what you are feeling? First thought anyway.

Now that I read it again and think a little more, you need to inspect the cam chain. When that breaks it often does so in a position that keeps some valves at least a little open. At that point it spins freely (electric starter or kick starter) and no compression. Since it didn't happen at speed, there is a better chance of less damage. It can range from nothing more then fixing the chain and everything is happy all the way to valves crashed into piston, everything is ruined.
that's a scary thought!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
jimijlondon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I'm thinkin compression release too
thing is isn't compression release always releasing compression on start up? isn't that the point? shouldn't a stuck open compression release only really affect the running once it's caught/ wouldn't it at least try to start? and also wouldn't the kickstart feel the same as allways because the compression release is there to make kicking over easier?, It'll be the first thing i check but I'm skeptical that'll be the cause
Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
I have a friend stationed there, so I can ship cheap. Let me lnow

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
jimijlondon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Merged. Thumpers is the right place for your thread.
Cheers, wasn't sure!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
jimijlondon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky151 View Post
I have a friend stationed there, so I can ship cheap. Let me lnow
thanks man PM sent
Old 04-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
jimijlondon OP
Adventurer

well i guess i better update as ive spent the day sort of tinkering, well sort of

asas im sure you all know you need a special tool to change the spark plug as there is so little room around it. I didn't have that tool so ive spent the day filing down a socket so that it will fit and i can check the spark properly (i checked it before by taking the cap off and sticking a different plug on which isnt the best method!)
so finally got it out and checked it and i have spark, put a charged battery in it and it made a couple of efforts to start but didn't quite manage it. it seems to get close when ive got the choke fully open (previously it only needed half choke)

I was sort of wondering if it might be flooded but it seems unlikely and i think i just hoped that because it wouldn't really be a problem.

the fact that it trys to start with full choke makes me think that maybe it is getting too much air and that sort of chimes with my compression theory

did the old stick the thumb over the plug hole when i had the plug out and it seemed to have compression, not very scientific though!

havent had the valve cover of yet, i huess i will check whats goin on in there tomorrow

any thoughts very welcome
Old 04-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,418
get the valve cover off. roll the engine until you feel compression. put a pencil in the sparkplug hole & rotate the engine until the pencil says the piston is all the way up. if you are on compression & all is good..... the exhaust cam lobes will point forward, the intakes will point aft. the lines on the cam gears will be parallel to the valve cover surface (or pretty near). there is a timing plug hole in the left engine cover.... you should also see a mark (under the plug) I think it's a T or possibly a T on it's side

if you don't have all that, something is wrong

also.... while you are there, measure the gap between the shim and cam lobe on each.... there should be at least some. I don't remember the spec in metric, so look it up if in doubt

Beezer screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 11:57 AM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote