Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
Buddy_Holly OP
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
Great vid.

I just visited Chaco for the first time last weekend. My wife and I have been fascinated after visiting Chimney Rock last summer on a trip to Pagosa.

I was super disappointed (and maybe it was silly) to find that Fajata Butte is totally closed.

I think the ruins are cool but the astronomical stuff is what really gets me.

I wanted to see the sun dagger, etc.

I want to go back on my bike (maybe w/o my wife and son) to really spend some time connecting Chaco, and Salmon Ruin and other outlying ruins.

Thanks!
The astro archeology of the area is fascinating. I wish there was a way to to see the sun dagger too- I would like to see it on the equinox. In the future a trip to stay at the campgrounds is in order.

I think many of us that adventure travel on motorcycles enjoy the thought that the people who built those structures were a lot like us.
Buddy_Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
Buddy_Holly OP
Imminent Train Wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil T
Great report. Great Video.
With all the cultural history and archeo history and interst, I was thinking that an Adventure ride would really be neat organized from this site to make a tour of all the Ancient ones ruins and parks that we can access. I know there would be alot of interest in this and a tour could be set up pretty easy with all the adventurers that are versed in the locations and routes to get there.
We have many here in AZ and NM is full of them. A loop tour could be set up pretty easy for a 3 or 4 day adventure.
Anyone interested in this type of thing.
Sorry did not mean to hijack your thread but it just seemed that those that might be interested in this type of thing would be looking at your thread.
By the way. Can you give a route track for how you got there so some of us won't make the same mistakes on hitting fences etc.
Mil T
Making this happen would be cool. The only problem might be figuring out how to get as many cool places into a ride as possible. There are many outliers in this area, and figuring out the best ones to see would be a bit of work. Chaco Canyon and Kin Bineola are for sure- i would say Pueblo Pintado too. Shiprock and Monument Valley could be on the list. Chaco has the advantage of camping.

The Navajo Nation is a trick to navigate. On this trip, after passing the washed out road and many mile later, I ran into a house with fences on both sides, this isn't uncommon, and it is a difficult situation- undid the gate on my side, wen to the door and knocked- no one was home. So I pushed my bike through after finding the other gate secured by a chain but no lock. Because of this Iwouldn't want to provide a .gpx track with this part of the trip on it.

All BIA roads on the Nation are open for travel- locked gates of course should be left as is. Knowing what is BIA road is a little more complicated. I would be able to help where I can. There are some great roads in the Chuskas Mountains that could lead to Shiprock (still more for me to explore).

I think the best thing to do would be to start a new thread and start dome planning on this for the early spring?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #18
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Holly
Making this happen would be cool. The only problem might be figuring out how to get as many cool places into a ride as possible. There are many outliers in this area, and figuring out the best ones to see would be a bit of work. Chaco Canyon and Kin Bineola are for sure- i would say Pueblo Pintado too. Shiprock and Monument Valley could be on the list. Chaco has the advantage of camping.

The Navajo Nation is a trick to navigate. On this trip, after passing the washed out road and many mile later, I ran into a house with fences on both sides, this isn't uncommon, and it is a difficult situation- undid the gate on my side, wen to the door and knocked- no one was home. So I pushed my bike through after finding the other gate secured by a chain but no lock. Because of this Iwouldn't want to provide a .gpx track with this part of the trip on it.

All BIA roads on the Nation are open for travel- locked gates of course should be left as is. Knowing what is BIA road is a little more complicated. I would be able to help where I can. There are some great roads in the Chuskas Mountains that could lead to Shiprock (still more for me to explore).

I think the best thing to do would be to start a new thread and start dome planning on this for the early spring?
I agree on a seperate thread but I would like to get some mapping done first to give an idea of where it would maybe start and the places we would see. I will take the lead on this if you would be willing to add the areas you know about and maybe some mapping help.

I have used the Indian Country roads maps for alot of stuff and it is really helpful. I just need to know where some of thease locations are at. I can start looking at the Arizona stuff if you could point out the New Mexico stuff.
Once we get an idea of where this would go, we can make the date plans. I was also thinking that it could also be a camp or hotel thing. I can check out the hotels in different areas etc. as well that would be convenient to use on a trip like this. If we can make it easier about not haveing to carry stuff on the bikes it might be easier. Of course there is the chance that we would have someone drive a truck that could carry camp gear as well.
These are just thoughts going through my head right now. If your on board then I'll send a PM and exchange emails if that's ok.

Mil T
Old 11-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #19
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 11,211

Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #20
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,464
great stuff!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #21
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,179
Nice Craig! I have been to Chaco several times and once we trudged through a blizzard and about 18" of snow to be there on the winter solstice. As you can guess, it was cloudy and we didn't see many shadows or sun daggers!

It is great to see that your collarbone is no longer an issue.

See ya around!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,885
Great video, thank you.

It reminds me of playing Half Life 2, especially the 1/2 pipe section

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #23
Buddy_Holly OP
Imminent Train Wreck

I went to the Physical Therapist and after a quick exam he said don't come back you are fine- I feel that way too- lucky for me. I am feeling 100% now, and looks like the GWT will get finished in 2011. Just have to get that XR650R into prime condition.

Too bad there was no sun for your Chaco trip- that is a bummer- bet it was cool being there in the snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
Nice Craig! I have been to Chaco several times and once we trudged through a blizzard and about 18" of snow to be there on the winter solstice. As you can guess, it was cloudy and we didn't see many shadows or sun daggers!

It is great to see that your collarbone is no longer an issue.

See ya around!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #24
Buddy_Holly OP
Imminent Train Wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo2
Great video, thank you.

It reminds me of playing Half Life 2, especially the 1/2 pipe section

I have no idea what you are talking about-- other than half life being a video game. I will thank you for the compliment though. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #25
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Nice trip. I, too, was trying to figure out an off-road route to and through Chaco. Care to share your .gpx file?

Thanks!
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #26
Buddy_Holly OP
Imminent Train Wreck

I haven't downloaded my actual traveled file yet, when I do I will share what I think would work.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #27
nadolski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Very cool video. Thanks for sharing
nadolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #28
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Holly
I am feeling 100% now, and looks like the GWT will get finished in 2011.
Awesome! I was hoping you'd get back into the GWT after your recovery! Glad to hear your feeling better Craig.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #29
MelonMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Nice video...

I will be making a trip down to Chaco next Spring. I too am fascinated with the astronomical significance of ancient structures. For a people who had no written language, I am amazed how precise their observations were. There are many such incredible sites throughout the world that were built centuries, if not thousands of years ago by amazing people.
MelonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #30
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,323
great video, and an awesome job of editing! Where did the soundtrack come from?

_Magoo_ is online now   Reply With Quote