User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

Oddometer: 190
West Indiana, East of the Wabash

We have had great weather here in the Illinois flatlands so I decided to take a 1 hour trip to the East and ride some of Indiana's gravel and dirt along the Wabash river. For those of you that grew up along the Wabash you probably cut your teeth on catfishing and riding your mini bikes along the roads that border the Wabash.
My route, which I ride 3-4 times each year usually starts in Clinton Indiana and heads North to Lodi, then end back in Rockville. There are some nice covered bridges and about 80 miles of nice gravel/dirt roads.
So without further adue....

Started the day out from home and the bike was ready as possible. Even put on the new rear Anakee2 on for good measure.
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

On my way East on Rt#16 I drove through Paris Illinois and I couldn't believe my eyes. A guy was riding an old 1965 Harley Service car with the original flat head motor. The bike was in good shape and was ridden in parades an such. Being I am a retired Cop this bike really got the old blood pumping.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

After riding further East and trying to get out of the Illinois landscape I arrive at the Indiana State Line. Things should start to improve in a short time.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

Clinton Indiana sits next to the Wabash and here are a few pics up and down the river from a local park and boat launch area.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

Just East of town and across the river you come to a nice gravel/dirt road that heads north and follows the river for a few miles. It has some sandy sections which I like to practice on. Helps when I get into the deeper sand during the ADV Rally.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

After that stretch of gravel roads there is a short section of paved road that twists its way along a creek bottom and heads towards Mecca. Just outside of Mecca was my first Covered bridge of the day. The tress had lost most of the fall colors but the fallen leaves were a nice touch.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

There are numerous roads that look good at first, but if they head back towards the river they usually dead end either in a field or at the levee. Either way some are worth exploring.

As you can see in the last pic, this CR ended at the levee area along the river.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

Headed back out and drove down the length of the river for a spell on a nice gravel road that ran right next to the water, then crossed over a bridge with a nice view.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

Just South of Montezuma, In. in a CR called Canal Rd. I thought this was going to be a great scenic CR along some type of canal. Instead I got treated to one of the worst garbage and debris roads I have been on. There was everyting scattered along the road for about 1/2 mile.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #10
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

As you enter into Montezuma off of Canal Rd you pass under a bridge and come out on Rt#36 just east of the Highway bridge leading into town.

Time to take a break and grab a soda and get ready for the remainder of the ride...
Old 11-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,832
My folks live outside of Prairie Creek, south of Terre Haute on IN63. Down in the river bottoms along the Wabash are more than one road like that.

Lazy bastards.

I need to do some DS rides along the Wabash next time I'm home when it isn't 20 degrees outside
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,929
Nice! That's a nice ride that Pinktoad and I like to take. You were pretty close to us.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

Alright, now that I have finished my snack and soda time to coninue on. Leaving North out of Montezuma after about a 1/2 mile I took a left turn back towards the river. This looks like maybe another dead end, but the road continues to the levee then turns right and follows a nice tractor and 4x4 rutted dirt road for about a mile then turns back and snakes around and ends back onto the original North road out of Montezuma.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

I then started criss crossing paved and gravel roads still heading in a NorthWesterly direction towards Lodi. Came upon my 2nd covered bridge of the day and after that some nice gravel roads just perfect for the big GSA.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
Capt Dan OP
Just Livin' a Dream

Still headed NW but now finding some nice gravel and dirt. Came upon a CR that looked like it would loop back around towards Lodi, but petered out where someone had parked an old RV (see a lot of that along the river). However where I stopped for a break was a nice location to camp along the river if ever needed.