Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Ya know..... I am a mechanical engineer and I never really dove into engine management as much as I should have. The claims and testimonials for these modifications are enough to make someone think they are worth their weight in gold.

How about someone with an intimate knowledge of the engine and the possible short term (cutting out on a tough uphill at 12k feet when you need it most) or long term (engine wear, gunk, etc) chime in an tell us how it really is?... (Joel!?!)

Not that I don't trust the infinite wisdom of Griz (wink ) and the gang but serious hype always gets me on edge (I didn't see Avatar until it came out on BlueRay)...
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #17
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,680
Holy Smokes!

I FINALLY got to ride my bike around a little (in the dark) last night after getting my rear wheel back on. I was sooooooooo itchin to feel the effect of this Accelerator plug & play device.

Ho-chi-momma! It is radically better. The off idle snatch/twitch is totally gone. Very smooth roll-on off idle. Feels fantastic.

It definitely has given the bike some more fuel down low....where it so badly needed some.

Now then, I only putted around the driveway and neighborhood street a bit.

Hold the fort, while I take it out for a real ride today and put it under load. The theory is sound. Cooler temp reading should order up more fuel from ECU....goes to reason.

This devise is genius....pure Genius. I bought the extended version and it only cost me about $75. Took exactly two weeks to arrive in the mail.

THANK YOU Mark!

I don't think I'll have to buy a fuel programmer now. All I really wanted was to smooth out the bottom off idle and eliminate those pesky stumbles (delays). So far, so good...

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #18
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Ok...have ridden it plenty enough now to say, "This thing just plain works!"

Call it stiochemetric voodoo are whatever you want. I like it.

The stumble is also gone when taking off hard in 2nd gear. There is only a very faint hesitation which is hardly noticeable. Nothing like before where I would actually rock forward in the seat.

Super Thanks to the inmates who pointed me toward the Accelerator.

HF

p.s. I assume the Booster Plug achieves a similar result. But have no experience with it.
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #19
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Ok...have ridden it plenty enough now to say, "This thing just plain works!"

Call it stiochemetric voodoo are whatever you want. I like it.

The stumble is also gone when taking off hard in 2nd gear. There is only a very faint hesitation which is hardly noticeable. Nothing like before where I would actually rock forward in the seat.

Super Thanks to the inmates who pointed me toward the Accelerator.

HF

p.s. I assume the Booster Plug achieves a similar result. But have no experience with it.
Hell yeah, High Five. I'm glad you like the result. I've got my Booster Plug Mk2 on the way as we speak! I don't really give two shits to know EXACTLY how the thing works either. All I know is that a lot of the snatchy uncontrollable throttle crap we be gone. The lean surging at lower RPM's will be gone. The bike will be more enjoyable to ride. End of discussion for me!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #20
The Griz
North Forest Rider

[quote=itsatdm]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Lukas my friend,

I too remember having a heated conversation with you regarding Air Fuel Ratio, and how you completely read wrongly into what I was saying. So let's not got here again.

I don't see where I said I have any new information regarding the mixture of the F8. Rather, it is common knowledge that modern fuel injected motorbikes are tuned to run as lean as possible in stock form from the factory, in order to conform to EPA and Euro emission specs. So when you add a higher flowing air filter like a Uni and a higher flowing aftermarket exhaust, the bike will go even leaner. Yes, I know these bikes' computers have a 'learning' mode and will try to 'adjust' for the new additions, but it doesn't do as good of a job as it could. I can attest to it, I'm running a Uni air filter and a Leo Vince Carbon exhaust. It's too lean. Pop pop pop, surge surge surge.

I still stand by 14.7:1 as being the 'perfect' air/fuel mixture for a gasoline engine.

Griz, I think the issue may arise out of your use of the word "Perfect'' to describe the 14.7 ratio. I think most "efficient" as a better description. It is the ratio at which the incoming charge is most completely burned, leaving the fewest deposits. Think emissions. I also believe this is the most likely ratio BMW uses in their base map. You are correct about gas quality playing a role in the bikes ability to maintain this ratio. California uses Oxygenated gas in winter and it probably raises havoc with the bikes ability to maintain that ratio, though the oxygen sensor will eventually sort it out.

Booster plugs claim of an enrichment factor of 6% would change that ratio to 13.8%, still not an overly rich mixture when you consider that tuners are routinely using numbers in the mid 12's to mid 13's to attain the most power. If you have a chronic lean problem because of opening the air passages in and out of your bike, I think these types of solutions may be temporary in solving your problems, because the oxygen sender will always be trying to return to the mapped ratio. The resisters are adding gas only on call, so to speak. That being changes in throttle position, rpm, temperature, altitude, etc. Part of what ensures safety is the oxygen sensors final say in these matters.

Is there a danger to the emission devices? I don't think so, because they already occur with the bikes own sensors in adjusting for conditions and like I stated it appears that the always will return to the mapped ratio eventually.
Yeah, I used the word "prefect", which I probably shouldn't have! Most efficient is probably what I should have used. And yes, I know tuners regularly land on 12-13:1 for heavily modified bikes or race bikes. However, what I've found on all of the bikes I've owned, including 2 modded KLR650's and a modded DRZ400, is that even 13.5:1 is too rich! We're talking black soot out the tailpipe. And this is with holes cut in the airbox, high flowing air filter, and aftermarket high flowing exhaust. I've found the best results on most lightly modded motorcycles as described in my previous sentence to be 13.8-14.3:1. Meaning on my AFR meter mounted to my bike fluctuates between a range of 13.8-14.3:1, depending on load/throttle position and atmospheric conditions.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #21
NAZDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I have the plug as well. Worked great this fall with temps in 90's.

Only problem has been during very cold mornings. If temps are around freezing it runs a little rough and doesn't like to warm up quick. I think I may have to remove it for winter.

I have the inline adapter without the temp probe.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #22
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZDirt
I have the plug as well. Worked great this fall with temps in 90's.

Only problem has been during very cold mornings. If temps are around freezing it runs a little rough and doesn't like to warm up quick. I think I may have to remove it for winter.

I have the inline adapter without the temp probe.

Forgive my ignorance, a "cold morning" here is 60F and that only happens a couple of times a year.
I just wonder why you couldn't just let the bike idle a few minutes longer to get the engine/oil up to operating temp?

It seems a shame to have to remove the "magic plug" just to make it warm up quicker. Set the alarm 5 minutes earlier

I am quite satisfied with my Module. It's not going to turn the bike into a 1000RR, but it really does smooth out the throttle response and lessen the lower rpm hesitation.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Hhhmmm.....that's odd. Colder air is more dense, and usually causes a "leaner" condition. I always have to richen my fuel screw on my Carb'd Trials bike (GasGas 280 Pro) when the temps plummet. So, I'm not so sure that's your problem. May be something else going on. Might suggest removing your O2 sensor (very carefully) from the pipe and gently cleaning it. Make sure there's not a bunch of carbon buildup on it. Just a thought.

My first day to ride with it (last week) started at 39 degrees. I had no problems. In fact, I think it was smoother running. Started more quickly and idled very smoothly....where it would stutter a bit, before I attached the Accelerator.

Then, I just spent all weekend (600+ miles) in temps ranging from 40's to 60's. Ran flawlessly smooth. A substantial improvement.

I will say its smoother on the roll off now, at all speeds, as well. There engine braking effect is not as harsh. That was most noticeable in the tight twisties. Before, I didn't use much wheel braking at all.....just throttle control. Now, I have to apply some braking more frequently because the engine doesn't seem to cutoff as sharply when I chop the throttle. Its just surprising how fast you adapt to things as they are....when you're riding. I found myself having to re-adapt a little bit. But, this was a good thing.

I think I might now put a little slack (add back some play) into my throttle cable. I had taken all the slack out, which definitely helped reduce the twitch. But, that can be unforgiving if you get careless....especially offroad. Don't think it will be a problem running with a little slack now.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #24
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
I think I might now put a little slack (add back some play) into my throttle cable. I had taken all the slack out, which definitely helped reduce the twitch. But, that can be unforgiving if you get careless....especially offroad. Don't think it will be a problem running with a little slack now.

HF
True. I tried the "remove all slack from throttle cable" routine once. Rode the bike for 5 minutes, then pulled over and put the appropriate amount of slack back into the cable. I did not like not having the BMW spec amount of play in the throttle. I have to have a bit of leeway so when I get into the bumpy sections it's not constantly adjusting the throttle position! That's an accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #25
NAZDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Hhhmmm.....that's odd. Colder air is more dense, and usually causes a "leaner" condition. I always have to richen my fuel screw on my Carb'd Trials bike (GasGas 280 Pro) when the temps plummet. So, I'm not so sure that's your problem. May be something else going on. Might suggest removing your O2 sensor (very carefully) from the pipe and gently cleaning it. Make sure there's not a bunch of carbon buildup on it. Just a thought.

My first day to ride with it (last week) started at 39 degrees. I had no problems. In fact, I think it was smoother running. Started more quickly and idled very smoothly....where it would stutter a bit, before I attached the Accelerator.

Then, I just spent all weekend (600+ miles) in temps ranging from 40's to 60's. Ran flawlessly smooth. A substantial improvement.

I will say its smoother on the roll off now, at all speeds, as well. There engine braking effect is not as harsh. That was most noticeable in the tight twisties. Before, I didn't use much wheel braking at all.....just throttle control. Now, I have to apply some braking more frequently because the engine doesn't seem to cutoff as sharply when I chop the throttle. Its just surprising how fast you adapt to things as they are....when you're riding. I found myself having to re-adapt a little bit. But, this was a good thing.

HF
No problems with bike. Its just that at 7500 feet elevation we have less air. Add that to the temps and it runs a little rough and takes longer to warm up. That is after temps at night of 15-25*F.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #26
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
I installed this the other day, man what a difference! Nice smooth strong power compared to stock. It will be interesting to see what effect it has on fuel consumption, will report back after a few tank fulls. I cant help but ride more like a hooligan giving it a fist full of throttle at every opportunity . Thats not going to help consumption!

I got the extended version as well, routed it a little different to HighFive. I ran the cable down the left hand side, through one cable tie. I then cut and replaced the 4 existing cable ties and run the sensor wire along the existing wiring loom to the front. Its nice and protected in behind the fairing there too:

Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #27
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
Mine has had NO effect whatsoever on fuel economy.
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
When I saw how fast the Booster Plug was selling when I bought it about a year ago, I said to my friend that we should reverse engineer it, make it and sell it. After all, it basically consists of only a couple of solid state parts. We laughed and, in our lazy ways, just let it slide. Now I've seen at least two items that are basically the same thing. I'm surprised that "Booster Plug Guy" didn't nail the patent on this.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #29
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
When I saw how fast the Booster Plug was selling when I bought it about a year ago, I said to my friend that we should reverse engineer it, make it and sell it. After all, it basically consists of only a couple of solid state parts. We laughed and, in our lazy ways, just let it slide. Now I've seen at least two items that are basically the same thing. I'm surprised that "Booster Plug Guy" didn't nail the patent on this.
I know, Jens (Booster Plug) did it first. He should have (or should right now) internationally patent that shit!

And as far as I understand, the original Booster Plug does 'something' that the accelerator module and other knock-offs don't. What that 'something' is and I do not know. Ask Jens, he'll tell ya.... not to mention the higher quality of the Booster Plug.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #30
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
So is the Booster Plug the better unit? I just looked on their website, and they are now advertizing the MK2 Plug. Is this what you guys are using?
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote