Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #31
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
So is the Booster Plug the better unit? I just looked on their website, and they are now advertising the MK2 Plug. Is this what you guys are using?
Whether or not it's the better one is a matter of opinion of course. Those who bought what they bought will obviously chime in a defend their purchases. In my opinion, yes the Booster Plug is superior. Not because it's the one I bought. Rather the superior build quality, functionality, and I wanted to make sure and support the inventor. I did my research before I purchased.

The Booster Plug MkII is the one I installed. Higher quality wires, higher quality resistors and higher quality sensor; and it uses the same high quality Bosch plugs that the BMW uses. You get what you pay for.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #32
jenslh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
I know, Jens (Booster Plug) did it first. He should have (or should right now) internationally patent that shit!

And as far as I understand, the original Booster Plug does 'something' that the accelerator module and other knock-offs don't. What that 'something' is and I do not know. Ask Jens, he'll tell ya.... not to mention the higher quality of the Booster Plug.
Well, I thought about the patent thing, but that would probably not prevent someone in China from making a copy device anyway.

Instead, I worked on branding the BoosterPlug, to make it known for proper research/development, outstanding quality and customer service. Motorcyclists are really unique customers because they have a high degree of technical knowledge in general, and seems to inform each other a lot about good and bad products.

The basic principle of the BoosterPlug is pretty simple, but getting it right is not easy. All components must have exactly the right specs, and a large part of my development hours went into finding the right parts.

A few guys have done independent "one to one" tests between the BoosterPlug and the copies, and I’m proud that the BoosterPlug came out on top every time. (Remember that I’m obviously biased towards my own device, so I can not be trusted here……)

My website contains a section about the BoosterPlug alternatives – including my general opinion on the copies: http://www.boosterplug.com/?id=The_Alternatives&menu=6

Cheers

/Jens
/BoosterPlug.com
jenslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #33
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 428
I bought the Accelerator Plug. Why?

"superior build quality, functionality, and I wanted to make sure and support MY WALLET. I did my research before I purchased. "

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #34
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenslh View Post
Well, I thought about the patent thing, but that would probably not prevent someone in China from making a copy device anyway.

Instead, I worked on branding the BoosterPlug, to make it known for proper research/development, outstanding quality and customer service. Motorcyclists are really unique customers because they have a high degree of technical knowledge in general, and seems to inform each other a lot about good and bad products.

The basic principle of the BoosterPlug is pretty simple, but getting it right is not easy. All components must have exactly the right specs, and a large part of my development hours went into finding the right parts.

A few guys have done independent "one to one" tests between the BoosterPlug and the copies, and I’m proud that the BoosterPlug came out on top every time. (Remember that I’m obviously biased towards my own device, so I can not be trusted here……)

My website contains a section about the BoosterPlug alternatives – including my general opinion on the copies: http://www.boosterplug.com/?id=The_Alternatives&menu=6

Cheers

/Jens
/BoosterPlug.com
Thanks Jens! What you've said here was pretty much what I was getting at in my earlier post.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #35
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post

Looks like the Mark I version. Not relevant to what is currently available.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #36
The Griz
North Forest Rider

....As well as the fact that anything you tear apart is going to look scary on the inside. This doesn't mean, however, that the components used aren't superior and/or more correct for the application.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #37
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Wow. That is completely unacceptable workmanship.

On the fence with the whole "exposed on the Internet" thing though. Kinda weaksauce to post photos of other people's shit.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #38
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,659
Weak sauce

Why? We all throw up picks of the welds on skid plates and machining on billet parts. When you open up an electrical box and look inside it is no different. If it works and people want to pay his price it is fine.
I get the same thing in my business. "Why is a video so expensive? Cameras are cheap, computers are cheap. I could it myself if I had the knowhow and the time and the talent. You don't actually expect to earn a living doing this?"
Really not that funny....I've actually heard this from "prospective" clients...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post

On the fence with the whole "exposed on the Internet" thing though. Kinda weaksauce to post photos of other people's shit.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #39
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post

I don't see what the big deal is... looks exactly like what the guy promises on his site. If you read the details this is what you should expect under the plastic, just a resistor and a probe. The solder looks fine and the residual is probably from the guy pulling apart the device.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #40
The Griz
North Forest Rider

It's all good. I just believe that Jens invented it (Booster Plug). Yes, resistor tuning has been going on for years, itsatdm, but not in the way that Jens does it for BMW's. I also believe that Jens was the one that did all the R&D, and everyone else just copied him. I like to give credit where credit is due. Jens is very right in the fact that the concept is very simple, but getting right is not. At the end of the day, to each his own with which one you buy.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #41
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,151
I looked at both products and decided to go with the accelerator module because it was a lot cheaper and simpler and after discussing things with Marc I thought his product was worth a try.

I live in Australia, about 200km south of the flooding, but its still pretty wet here. Yesterday I took my 800 to inspect things on my properties and I have to say I am amazed by how easy it is to ride the 800 in the water and mud with the accelerator module. The ease you can potter about at low revs without any loss of traction is incredible. Taking into account size and weight its no harder to ride than my DR200. (and, perhaps shocking to some ... its a lot more comfortable!)

I give some credit to the 140/80 K60 which I am sure has a lot more traction in wet conditions than the 150, but I am still really impressed.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #42
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Griz, just how do you know that? I am not saying he did not invent the Booster Plug, obviously he did. Just as Mark invented the Accelerator module. Just who told you all the rest are copies? That would assume they are all the same and I don't know that is true.
I did not do an extensive study but I do follow other forums beside this one. What I did find was a posting about the Accelerator module that predates one I found about the Booster plug by two months. Could have missed one but they really appear to have come out about the same time.
I am really curious about this fact finding of yours because it was your absolutely, positively, without a doubt statements that set me off. Just what did you do beside talk to Jens and read his website? If you have some facts you are not sharing I really feel guilty for going off on him, because I think he makes a good product too.
My belief is my belief and my opinion is my opinion itsatdm. I'm entitled to them just as you are. I feel personally that the Booster Plug is a superior product, and the idea of these doohickeys was pioneered by Jens. That is my opinion. You do not need to share the same beliefs and opinions as me, nor does anyone else. I'm sorry if my opinions on the matter came off as me trying to state facts. Cheers.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #43
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Don't kill the messinger, I did not do it, it is posted on another Forum.
But in hindsight you are right, it is gone.
Sorry...I wasn't calling you out for reposting. My comment was directed at the OP of the thread you linked. If it was simply an expose of 'reverse engineering' someone else's design I'd give it two thumbs down, even if the concept has been around for decades. With that workmanship though--really, people need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
I don't see what the big deal is... looks exactly like what the guy promises on his site.
To be fair, I've never read his site. I assume then that he promises rudimentary assembly skills? Look, I'm the last guy to bash someone for the price they assign to a product, but I believe if you're going to mass produce something for a significant profit (not just earning a couple bucks and a few back slaps hooking up some guys on the internet) your product can't look like it was assembled in a garage over a six-pack.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #44
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
I will let it go Griz, but when I state an opinion I usually preface it with IMO. Facts are things that I have experienced or know from some proper investigation and have no problem providing a source if asked. There is a difference.
I'm sorry. I know I sounded very "matter of fact" in my original statements regarding the subject. Sometimes we feel so strongly about something that we forget to add the "IMO" or "IMHO". I think we've been guilty of that from time to time.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #45
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Guys, this is how solders look on circuit boards when soldering is done by hand, regardless of how skilled you are. It's just how it ends up looking. I've been working in the entertainment industry as an audio engineer for years. In doing so, I've had to solder countless circuit boards to fix compressors, equalizers, and other various boxes of equipment. Most professional audio equipment of any worth is built by hand and wired and soldered by hand. In fact, as audio professionals we tend to gravitate towards the hand built and soldered equipment. It is typically higher quality and sounds better. EVERY solder that is done by hand ends up looking this way to due the resolution of the instruments and mediums available for us humans to use: soldering gun and solder. Jens is not soldering these things on his own in his garage over a six pack. He is having a third party manufacturer do the work. This manufacturer is obviously soldering these Booster Plugs by hand in an assembly line, which is very normal. With such a simple design, it is cheaper and faster to just do it by hand than it is to fire up the machines. I can tell you from experience, that the only time you will see the cleanliness and precision you're seeking for here is when a computer controlled machine is doing the soldering, which by the way is reserved for FAR more complex solders and circuit boards. ie computers.

EXAMPLE:

Applications for hand soldering, where the resolution of electrical pathways is very low, making hand soldering more cost effective and efficient:

Applications for computer controlled machine soldering, where the resolution of electrical pathways is very high, making hand soldering pretty much impossible for humans to accomplish by hand (Jens' Booster Plug DOES NOT fall into this category):

Point being, what the internal guts of the Booster Plug looks like is absolutely normal. I and any other professional would agree: hand soldering is the way to go with a device that is as simple as this.

Also, as far as the cleanliness of the soldering goes with the pictures posted in the link provided earlier, how it looks is a normal result of a fast-paced hand-soldering assembly line. With such a simple design, all that matters is that the correct electrical connections are being made. Little extra solder here, little extra solder there, no biggy.

Keep in mind that MOST of what makes things in those pictures look bad is the fact that the person who posted that had to cut into the thermal plastic molding. What you are seeing is residuals from the thermal plastic molding. Again, normal.