ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #46
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,793
Actually, these hand solders look great. You have to remember that for simple applications like this, hand soldering is preferred.

What is throwing people off and making things look ugly is the residual epoxy or whatever it is from the molding being ripped apart. These Booster Plugs are thermally sealed, and are not designed to be ripped open like this after the thermal molding process is complete (cooled down). I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that this person who did this had to do a shitload of cutting away to go to where he's at in these pictures. He obviously didn't get all of it.



__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #47
bxr140
Flame Bait
 
bxr140's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: On high
Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Actually, these hand solders look great.
A unit like that would be immediaty rejected by every QC I work with. I'm sorry we have different standards.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #48
vtbob
wanderer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Western Vermont
Oddometer: 517
FWIW I too have no idea who came up with the idea of using a resistor to ofset the scale of a temperature sensor. Most likely the first person who made a temperature sensor 100 years ago(or when ever). This is not rocket science.

The concept is to compensate for an overly lean, therefore very sensitive to fast throttle changes../transistions. These are, almost certainly, lean so the MC manufactures meets emission standards in the US and EU.

Some speculation on my part:

Fooling the computer to think the temp is colder (ie needs richness) with a resistor (linear device) or some more sophiticted non-linear device more than likely puts your bike out of compliance with the Feds. There could be some legal risk to this to you and the device manufacture. This mod may also have an effect of the BMW warantee.

I am dissappointed that BMW has not done a better job in designing this fuel control system and algorithms to performe smoothly. It is likely a cost compromise to avoid more ECU complexity and/or a more capable catylst / more air injection to have both smooth running and legal emissions.

Still there is a fair chance I too will install one next spring.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #49
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
A unit like that would be immediaty rejected by every QC I work with. I'm sorry we have different standards.
It's a fucking low-res solder, man! This Booster Plug solder job in the pic above passes quality control with 5 stars! The point is to make the electrical connections, end of discussion. Period. Are the electrical connections made properly. Yes. Job done. How it "looks" is not important one single bit. I see no evidence that the required electrical connections are faulty. I see a tad bit of overuse of solder, but nothing alarming. Again, how it looks is not important, ESPECIALLY in this design, since the damn thing we're looking at in this pictures is encased in molten plastic, thermally sealed, after the soldering is completed! Therefore, said thermal plastic encasement permanently seals and holds everything inside it in its position indefinitely. Sealed from the elements, and restricted from falling apart or having any of the metals or parts repositioning.

Where do you work? What kind of products is your company making? How complex and what is the resolution of the electrical pathways on your companies circuit boards? The answer to this question will solidify my point.
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #50
bxr140
Flame Bait
 
bxr140's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: On high
Oddometer: 1,040
From a professional standpoint, that workmanship is unacceptable. Any reliability group from any company in the electronics/automotive/aerospace/etc. industries would have a field day with that assembly. Despite your opinion, when it comes to applying ANY kind of spec/standard to workmanship, looks DO matter. In most cases go/nogo criteria is exclusively visual.

From a shadetree/hobby perspective, I'm sure it's equivalent to setting your ratchet to a healthy German "guden-tite" in lieu of a torque wrench. Ill let the readers determine whether shadetree handiwork is worth the price of admission.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #51
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
From a professional standpoint, that workmanship is unacceptable. Any reliability group from any company in the electronics/automotive/aerospace/etc. industries would have a field day with that assembly. Despite your opinion, when it comes to applying ANY kind of spec/standard to workmanship, looks DO matter. In most cases go/nogo criteria is exclusively visual.

From a shadetree/hobby perspective, I'm sure it's equivalent to setting your ratchet to a healthy German "guden-tite" in lieu of a torque wrench. Ill let the readers determine whether shadetree handiwork is worth the price of admission.
Well I AM coming from a professional standpoint, bxr. This is not opinion. I happen to know quite a lot about electronics and putting them together. I've been doing it for years for a profession.

You'd be surprised what passes "QC" at lots of companies! What you're seeing in these pics may not pass YOUR personal tastes for tolerances, but I assure you that what you're seeing in these pics is VERY common in MANY companies when the design at hand is as simple as the one in these pics.

Besides, dude, you're missing the whole point I'm trying to make:

When the design is as simple as the one we are talking about here (Booster Plug), the solder work shown in the pictures is just fine. The electrical connections are made and made solidly, right? YES. End of discussion about quality of what we see in these pics. Christ, it's not like we're talking about the oxygen level controller on the freakin' space shuttle here. Or the guidance system for a nuclear warhead.

The solder work on the above is no different the some of the shit I regularly find in lots of consumer technology.

Also, most professional hand-wired electronics I open up to take a peak at look no different than what we see on these pics. This includes audio compressors, equalizers, delays, reverbs, guitar amplifiers, bass amplifiers, microphones, etc, etc...

What you need to pay attention to in the pics of the Booster Plug is one thing and one thing ONLY: Where the solder is in relation to the holes in the copper stripping, wiring, and resistors on the circuit board.

Pay ABSOLUTELY no attention to the gunk/glue residue all over the thing. That junk is from disassembly (which should not have been done in the first place).

Well, I happen to know that by looking at these pics that the solders are perfectly in the right spot and that the electrical connections are made durably in order to achieve what the device is supposed to do electrically.

Again, when we're talking about workmanship of what wee see in these pics, we should ONLY be looking at where the solder is in relation to the wires, resistor, and copper stripping.
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #52
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
Fooling the computer to think the temp is colder (ie needs richness) with a resistor (linear device) or some more sophiticted non-linear device more than likely puts your bike out of compliance with the Feds. There could be some legal risk to this to you and the device manufacture. This mod may also have an effect of the BMW warantee.
Just wanted to comment on this...

Luckily here in Texas we have no emissions controls for motorcycles. This is why I have a "race only" use full system exhaust on my SV650SF and I removed the charcoal canister on the F8 (with glee I might add).
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #53
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 1,889
Since this thread is about "Mark Vernact's Accelerator Module" why are we so concerned with the Booster Plug other than a passig mention?

How about we throw in for an Accelerator Module and disect it?
__________________
1200 GSAW
FE 390
KLR 650 (not new)
GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #54
HighFive
Never Tap-Out
 
HighFive's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Okiehoma
Oddometer: 2,636
Fashionably late to the party (again), so I'll keep my update brief & to the point:

Over 2,000 miles in all kinds of riding conditions...high speed, slow speed, uphill, downhill, hot, cold, wet, dry, muddy, even snowy-freezing: The "Accelerator" just plain works.....beautifully!

Best value for the dollar I've ever spent to date for my F800.

I'm so thankful "someone" pointed me to this vodoo gadget.

It simply is what it is.....good. Whoever created it, thank you. Whoever improved it, thank you. Whoever made it more reasonably affordable...THANK YOU! I've spent too much for so many other things for this bike....its nice to get a break for once.

Now, let's stop beating a dead horse.

What you need to do is "get one" if you don't have one. Get the brand that helps you sleep better at night. The applied theory yields a superb result!

HF
__________________
'13 Husky TR650 Terra, '11 Husaberg FE390, '10 BMW F800GS, '12 BMW R1200GS
Terra-izing the CDR Bergs Over the Rainbow Texas or Bust!
Rocky Mountain HighFive The Other Side of Nowhere
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #55
bxr140
Flame Bait
 
bxr140's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: On high
Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Since this thread is about "Mark Vernact's Accelerator Module" why are we so concerned with the Booster Plug other than a passig mention?
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
How about we throw in for an Accelerator Module and disect it?
I'm sure my point was lost somewhere, but I do really think its a bit lame to reverse engineer someone's shit just for the sake of a "look how simple it is" thread. But...if the Accelerator Module has the same unpassable workmanship as the Booster plug (probably not, as it doesn't look to have a board) that would be pertinent information.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #56
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do
 
rediRrakaD's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Deep in the Redwoods near the Pacific
Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Fashionably late to the party (again), so I'll keep my update brief & to the point:

Over 2,000 miles in all kinds of riding conditions...high speed, slow speed, uphill, downhill, hot, cold, wet, dry, muddy, even snowy-freezing: The "Accelerator" just plain works.....beautifully!

Best value for the dollar I've ever spent to date for my F800.

I'm so thankful "someone" pointed me to this vodoo gadget.

It simply is what it is.....good. Whoever created it, thank you. Whoever improved it, thank you. Whoever made it more reasonably affordable...THANK YOU! I've spent too much for so many other things for this bike....its nice to get a break for once.

Now, let's stop beating a dead horse.

What you need to do is "get one" if you don't have one. Get the brand that helps you sleep better at night. The applied theory yields a superb result!

HF
How does solder look??



__________________
"Death in the pursuit of happiness is triumphant!"
rediRrakaD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #57
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shawnee Bill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
That's the Booster Plug disection.
__________________
1200 GSAW
FE 390
KLR 650 (not new)
GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #58
jenslh
Adventurer
 
jenslh's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 38
As the internals of my device have been heavily discussed here, I hope it's ok if I add a few comments.

The BoosterPlug internals in the pictures is from a very early Mk1 module. Only the first few batches was done with the standard cut out circuit board that is shown in the picture.

Later Mk1's and all Mk2's have a custom made professional printed circuit board.

It's correct that a handfull of the Mk1's had a problem with the resin suddenly unhardening after being crystal hard. See the picture in the review on www.webbikeworld.com

I never managed to get a proper answer to why this happend, but as it was obvious that the manufactoring process was not 100% under control, I decided to invest in a thermoplastic die form (The Mk2)

The thermoplastic material is the same that is used for the Casio G-Shock watches, and almost indestructable.

Mk1 or Mk2 - the warranty is still "For Ever" and I'll replace the unit if it fails, but they dont seems to do that :-)

It's correct that the idea of tweaking the temperature sensor have been around for a while - this is not an invention of mine. But the proper temperature compensation by using an external temperature sensor and controlled enrichment was developed by me.

It's no secret that the Boosterlug is basicly very simple. You can see it in the pictures and I'm stating it several times on my website, but there's a lot of hidden engineering in getting the enrichment stable in all temperatures, and it's not easy to find a temperature sensor (NTC) with the right specs - the different brands have very different specs.

Hope that clears up some of the confusion in this thread.

Cheers

/Jens
jenslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #59
CycleRider
Studly Adventurer
 
CycleRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Oddometer: 666
Thanks

I was one of the early purchasers of the BoosterPlug thru a group buy on ADVRider (known as Picasso at that time).

I come from a high tech background, and have frequently been out on the "bleeding" edge for adapting new technology, and have often paid a premium price. At no time have I ever felt that your product was inferior or did not deliver what was promised. During that group buy you answered all of my/our questions and there has always been easy access directly to you.

Sure, it would have been nice to have paid a lower price, but at that time, I knew very little about any other product being offered (if any) and just felt that if the BoosterPlug did what was promised (testimonials), there was tremendous VALUE in what it could do for making an expensive motorcycle perform the way it should have from the factory.

There is always going to be competition for a product that is popular. I believe that the market will sort out the survivors and the price, based on products that deliver what they promised and Companies that deliver good Customer Service. I also believe that we USUALLY get what we pay for. Having been in business for myself, I know that there there is a tremendous amount of time that goes into any product, and making a profit is not always easy. Usually the few dollars that are invested in physical parts is a small part of a products true cost.

I think that this is a healthy discussion as long as we keep it civil, free of statements that are inflammatory and can not be backed up by fact. Most of us love our bikes and would like to believe that we are making the best choices (and that includes for our wallets) based on the information available.

And I believe that I did when I bought the BoosterPlug. Others will come to their own conclusions.

But thank you, Jens. Your product has definitely made my riding experience better, and the cost was a small part of the "big picture".

T...

CycleRider screwed with this post 01-16-2011 at 03:06 PM
CycleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #60
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenslh View Post
As the internals of my device have been heavily discussed here, I hope it's ok if I add a few comments.

The BoosterPlug internals in the pictures is from a very early Mk1 module. Only the first few batches was done with the standard cut out circuit board that is shown in the picture.

Later Mk1's and all Mk2's have a custom made professional printed circuit board.

It's correct that a handfull of the Mk1's had a problem with the resin suddenly unhardening after being crystal hard. See the picture in the review on www.webbikeworld.com

I never managed to get a proper answer to why this happend, but as it was obvious that the manufactoring process was not 100% under control, I decided to invest in a thermoplastic die form (The Mk2)

The thermoplastic material is the same that is used for the Casio G-Shock watches, and almost indestructable.

Mk1 or Mk2 - the warranty is still "For Ever" and I'll replace the unit if it fails, but they dont seems to do that :-)

It's correct that the idea of tweaking the temperature sensor have been around for a while - this is not an invention of mine. But the proper temperature compensation by using an external temperature sensor and controlled enrichment was developed by me.

It's no secret that the Boosterlug is basicly very simple. You can see it in the pictures and I'm stating it several times on my website, but there's a lot of hidden engineering in getting the enrichment stable in all temperatures, and it's not easy to find a temperature sensor (NTC) with the right specs - the different brands have very different specs.

Hope that clears up some of the confusion in this thread.

Cheers

/Jens
It does Jens! Thanks. Sometimes it needs to come from the horse's mouth. This sure puts it to bed!
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014