Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
What Dual sport bike has the best ergos and upright seating postion for Tall Rider?

Right now I have an 08 FJR 1300AE that I absolutely love but cannot for the life of me get comfortable on it.. At 6'4 I just feel way to crunched up and in to much of a sportbike riding position. I have put bar risers on it, lowered the pegs and everything I would do to a normal bike but to no avail. Truth be that I ride mostly street but I would like to occasionally take a dirt road somewhere so figure I will sell and purchase a bike with a Street preference but that has the ability to ride in dirt. I will buy used of course with a budget of under $7k. I've owned a KLR before and didn't like it on the street. I've had 3 GSA bikes but they are financially out of reach for me at this time. I'm over making bike payments and want something I can pay cash for. Some of the things I would like.

1. Upright position
2. Good seat to peg distance with ability to lower pegs
3. Good wind protection as I do mostly slab work
4. Good fuel economy
5. Big enough motor to pull my size and weight around
6. Reliable

I know I don't ask for much:) But what do you think is a good bike for this description?
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,589
I'm 6'4" and find my R12GS very roomy. I think it hits all your needs other then maybe 6 on the rare occasion.
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleetho View Post
I'm 6'4" and find my R12GS very roomy. I think it hits all your needs other then maybe 6 on the rare occasion.
Sweet. Find me an R12GS for under $7k and I'm all over it... Budget is under $7k as I wanna pay cash.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
Perhaps one of the Suzuki V-Stroms? I definitely understand not being comfortable on a bike with low bars and high rearset pegs. I sold such a bike after installing bar risers on it and found it still caused a lot of pain. Strangely enough, both my bike and the FJR1300 are considered by most to be "standards"
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
Another option is a KTM 950 with maybe street wheels (my buddy is 6'10 and it is the only bike he can fit). Fuel economy would be around 40mpg.
Check also this:
www.cycle-ergo.com
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Another option is a KTM 950 with maybe street wheels (my buddy is 6'10 and it is the only bike he can fit). Fuel economy would be around 40mpg.
Check also this:
www.cycle-ergo.com
Had an 04 950"S" and Hated it on the street. Great off road but terrible street bike.. Also FI is a must for me. The Stom's look good. Not sure ergo wise how great they would be but they are probably at top of my list at this point at least for checking out..
Old 09-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
Had an 04 950"S" and Hated it on the street. Great off road but terrible street bike.. Also FI is a must for me. The Stom's look good. Not sure ergo wise how great they would be but they are probably at top of my list at this point at least for checking out..
I'm 6'4", 235#. My criteria are almost identical to yours, except that I have financial priorities that keep me completely out of the market right now. If I could spend $6k on a bike today, I would be looking for an '05-'06 Tiger. The earlier ones are fine, too, but I don't want tubed tires on my primary street bike. The '05-'06's have cast wheels.

If I could buy new, I would probably get a Super Tenere, but not before test-riding a Stelvio first. The S10 felt lounge-chair comfortable, but I only got to ride it for about 30 minutes.

I also had a 950, a Super Enduro, for 5 years. Fun, fun, fun; but tiring. Not an all-day bike for me.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
See this link, it's pretty interesting and fun to scroll through different bikes.

http://cycle-ergo.com

I'm not as tall as you but am very aware of the seat to peg distance because of a bum knee. The most comfortable bike I've had is my G650 xmoto, which fits your listed criterion except for wind protection.

A few of the KTM dual sports and SMs have pretty good seat to peg ergos.
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
If I could spend $6k on a bike today, I would be looking for an '05-'06 Tiger. The earlier ones are fine, too, but I don't want tubed tires on my primary street bike. The '05-'06's have cast wheels.

If I could buy new, I would probably get a Super Tenere, but not before test-riding a Stelvio first. The S10 felt lounge-chair comfortable, but I only got to ride it for about 30 minutes.
I'd agree, the Tigers or a Vstrom 1000 are pretty much all that come to mind unless a smokin deal comes along on something else.

The Vee benefits greatly from changing the bars and possibly using setbacks or risers. I went with some ROX risers and a ATV mid height bar and it was super comfy. I also made a set of peg lowering plates but the stock location isn't bad. In the end it was all day comfy.

On the Tenere, you should demo the Stelvio also. It came down to those two for me and in the end the Stelvio won out and I do not regret it.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
I am 6'4" 180#. I currently ride a tiger 800xc. I was happy making a 70 mile trip in a 1200gs and enjoyed a 990 adv. I felt the f800gs and wee strom were too small. Have fun shopping.
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
at 6'3" (33" inseam but a looong torso and arms) the big ADV bikes fit me great! (you mean ADV bikes and not necessarily a dual-sport thumper, right?)

Have you looked at cycle-ergo? You just plug in your height and inseam, and it shows your knee angle between different bikes etc. --very handy.

The girlie tiger suggestion is good (with the cast wheels) --they have a nice ergo set-up.

I rode a wee-strom for many miles thought it was comfortable enough for a 900 mile day. V-stroms have a slightly taller seat that you could swap over to the Wee. The new Glee-strom has a slightly taller seat than the old wee and.

Re: the supertenere --great fit for me. The cool stelvio was super close (but since I sit near the gastank, I did not clear the valve covers--bummer).
Old 09-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
Krazy Again
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm 6' ~195lbs. I LOVE my Tiger 800xc. Most fun ride I have ever had on the street. I felt that the 1200 was a bit big for what I was looking for. Not too big mind, just wanted something I could whip around.

Body position is perfect. Windshield is good, though I will likely get the larger one for when the much cooler weather hits. Even without though, the only part that gets anything is my neck. A gator can cover that.

Ethos are excellent. More comfortable than my cruiser actually.
Krazy Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
I'm 6'-5" 220# with 36" inseam. I ride a Versys...

I manage (peg lowering kit and bars raised), but it does look like an adult riding a playground bike-on-a-spring.

Saving up for a SuperTenere.

pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
I'm 6'-5" 220# with 36" inseam. I ride a Versys...
6'-6" 260# 36" inseam Versys rider here too.

With bars, risers, Buell Ully pegs and a new seat it's ergo package is actually really close to what my Strom was with the same mods except the pegs.

However since there is a lot less bike it does look funny.

Not that I recommend the bike for the OP's requirements, but the Buell Ulysses (with the original 06 type seat) had the best out of the box ergo's for me than any other bike.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote