User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
TeeVee OP
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 737
Question DL1000 SW Motech bash plate problem

so, even though a bit more than a tad hungover from my bud's bachelor party last night, i decided that today would be a good day to install the sweet lookin sw motech bash plate. in typical german/sw motech fashion, the instructions are absolutely useless. now, i may not be much of a wrench, but when the instructions clearly state "use original screws" but they include two brand new screws to be utilized in the EXACT SAME LOCATION, one must wonder.

ok, enough BS...

someone tell me how the hell i'm supposed to remove the two bolts from the left side of the bike without removing the friggin exhaust, please! there is only one possible location for the two huge bolts to attach the bracket and the heads of both are about 2 mm away from the exhaust.

TeeVee screwed with this post 11-14-2010 at 03:53 PM
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
First, the instructions actually do include English (in gray). The German, which is printed in black, is a direct translation of the English that is right next to it. All information on SW-MOTECH installation instructions is in both languages.

To install the skidplate, the two bolts holding the kickstand onto the bike must be temporarily removed. This can be accomplished using an open end box wrench. Alternatively, you can use a 12-inch socket extension and a wobbly (a.k.a. universal joint) to reach the bolt heads from the opposite side of the bike. It is not necessary to remove the exhaust to get at these sidestand screws. These original sidestand screws are installed with high strength thread locker. Heat may help loosen the thread-locking compound for easier installation.

I have an email in to SW-MOTECH to check on whether to use the original or replacement screws, but my guess is that you use the replacement screws. We'll update this thread once we get more information.

twistedthrottle screwed with this post 11-16-2010 at 08:09 PM
twistedthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
TeeVee OP
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 737
i dont want to beleaguer the point but in my experience, products by sw motech, hepco and becker and other german manufacturers, while good products ( i own a bunch of them) come with essentially worthless instructions. granted i'm no wrench, but i aint all thumbs either.

anyway, i'm gonna have to have a better look, cuz from my perspective, it didn't appear as though any type of socket could get to those bolt heads.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Answer #2:

A typo in the English installation instructions states that "the original screws" should be used to attach the rear skidplate bracket to the sidestand mounting points. This is not correct. Use the replacement screws provided with the skidplate kit, but use "the original WASHERS" with the new sidestand mounting bolts.

The German instructions are correct on this point. I've emailed the manufacturer to have the English corrected for future production runs.

Give us a call if you're still having problems with the installation. We can email some images showing how to get at the screws.

Thanks,
-Erik
Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

If you're using an open-ended box wrench, you can get to the bolt heads directly.

If you're trying to use a socket, you need to go at the sidestand bolts (which are on the left side of the bike) by approaching the bike's right hand side with a 12" or longer socket extension and a universal joint on the socket.

Likewise, you can approach the exhaust bolt (which is on the right side of the bike) from the left side.

We usually go at it with an open-ended wrench (no socket), but it's up to you. Either way, you should probably have someone hold the bike while you're loosening those bolts. It takes so much force that the bike can get pulled off a stand. Don't you love high-strength thread locking compound?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
SideStand Bolts

Teevee,

The bolts you are talking about are a pain in the ass to say the least no matter which manufacturers skid plate you use. I haven't tried the long extension, but i know the box end wrench will work. It is easier to do with the center stand OFF of the bike for sure.
Twisted Throttle is trying to help you best they can, it is just a pain to do this job. I just removed my skidplate a week or so ago, so I have a fresh image of this process.

Jeff
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote