User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
howling60 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Maine Scenery in November: Dover Foxcroft & Mt Waldo

Today was the 2nd day in a row we had gorgeous weather up here in Maine.. unheard of temperatures (50 deg in November is absurd!)

So i did what any semi-sane red-blooded gearhead would do... take the weekend off from work, and hit the roads with the bike!

The bike/rider in question (1978 Kawasaki KL250A1 5100 original miles when i bought it November '09), rider, 29y/o TWG (typical/thin/tall white guy)

Day 1: Sat Nov 13
Headed out from Bangor at about noon. Grabbed Rt 15 towards Greenville and mosied on up to Dover Foxcroft. Had a slight incident on the way... forgot about how useful lockwashers are on an old thmper... chain guard rattled its bolts loose and started dragging on the chain. Somehow I left home without any repair items. used a spare keyring I had to hold 'er together till I could get to a hardware store!

Once back on the road, to Dover it was!

Caught the river road over to the E. Dover Road

From there, it was time to head over to Atkinson via Range Rd, Maple St, and Mccorrison Rd... At some point this turned to dirt YAY!. Caught Rt 11, and headed 'er towards Bradford, where I jumped on rt 155 to wander over towards Lagrange, then rt 16 out to Alton

From Alton I continued along 16 till I got to Old Town. From there it was a hop skip & jump along the Bennoch Rd, Stillwater, Forest Ave.. and I was home just before it started getting dark enough to need headlights! 110 miles, 4ish hours including picture/rest stops. Not a bad way to spend a gorgeous Fall Saturday in Maine!

Day 2: Sunday 11-14-10
a second wonderful day here in Maine!

after waiting for my harley riding buddy to get his gear together, I decided to set off without him around 11. This time, I headed off down rt 1A from bangor through Hampden, to the town of Frankfort where I visited a couple of friends. Being locals, they were able to point me in the right direction for mud & dirt & fun! :) (good thing the harley guy stayed at home!)

I jumped on the Old Stage Rd, which heads UP the side of the hill (i almost had to wonder if the 'ol 250 would handle it!... but, in true fashion, she did)

From here, I was able to jump onto I *think* Tyler lane a basic gravel road, passable by just about any car that comes down the pike... it does however have LOTS of 4x4 roads :)

I followed this road for approx 2 miles... before I ran into this

and turned around
The 'ol girl wears her muck quite nicely!

I wandered down the main dirt road s'more, and jumped off on yet another side-trail..
This one didn't stop me though!

eventually it gave way to really really muddy, rocky, steep sections. riding alone, with only the basic tools, I made the intelligent decision to turn around. Good thing too, I had smashed my right peg hard on something... bent it about 5 degrees backwards... now it just feels funny :(
Turns out I was on ITS82!

So, made it back to the main dirt road, and continued along. Eventually I ran into this rock-lined road... looked interesting, so i took it! Turns out it was a Jeep road up the side of Mt Waldo!
What's a guy to do?!?

Go up of course!

and, my ugly mug up on top :)

This was a shot of the "trail" as I was coming down... the picture really doesn't do it justice... Just picture any standard open-granite-face on the side of a mountain in Maine, that people take lifted Jeeps up... (which by the way, i met while up top... one lifted jeep, and a lifted truck on my way down... man did they give ME some weird looks!)

After getting back to the base, I was one tired pup! by this time, my right foot was starting to hurt from smashing it along with my peg earlier in the day.... Time to turn for home.

From Frankfort, I jumped back on rt 1A to 174... and I ended up here

Continued along across the new Penobscott Narrows Bridge, and headed back up rt 15 (coincidentally the same road I started on the day before!) and made my way back through orrington and brewer, eventually ending up @ home in Bangor

Added another 75 miles on the bike this time, and a few layers of filth :)

Now it's time to sit back, drink a beer, and relax :)

Hope y'all enjoyed the "virtual tour"!

-Nate

The FUN bike: '78 Kawasaki KL250A1
The PROJECT bike: '80 Suzuki GS450E
howling60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,348
Nice little weekend blast

I gots to get me a little bike this year...
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
howling60 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR
Nice little weekend blast

I gots to get me a little bike this year...
It was a GREAT weekend blast :)
I actually fell into this bike... guy down the road from my work had it up for sale.. wouldn't start... so before i even opened my mouth he dropped the price $80 then i told him i didn't want it if it wasn't running... he called me back 2 hours later, bike purring in the background. dirty terminals :)
She's a pile of fun... no top end to speak of... but that's OK

-Nate

Old 11-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by howling60

From Frankfort, I jumped back on rt 1A to 174... and I ended up here
Beautiful, have some (extended) family in that area. Visited that fort once, .........about 35 years ago. Thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,698
I love the simple honest fun of a preserved old bike. Maine looks wild.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
howling60 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal
Beautiful, have some (extended) family in that area. Visited that fort once, .........about 35 years ago. Thanks
No prob. not much has changed @ the fort since 35 years ago! maybe s'more slime coating the walls... they redid the parkinglot a couple years back... otherwise, it is in just about the same shape... very awesome place!

-Nate

Old 11-15-2010, 03:17 AM   #7
howling60 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter
I love the simple honest fun of a preserved old bike. Maine looks wild.
i dunno about preserved.... she's feeling her age! but she is certainly fun in oh so many ways! no new age gadgets like tilt switches, or headlights that reach farther than a candle... gives up the ghost @ 65mph... but she just keeps plodding along no matter what. Still starts on the 3rd kick from a week of sitting. She's taught this young pup a thing or two already!

Maine is mostly unclaimed wilderness, there is no question there. One of the reasons I love the place!

-Nate

Old 11-15-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,300
You got close to home for me when you were in Bucksport. The new bridge is pretty cool, huh?

I'm diggin' the seat cover on your bike...
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
howling60 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob
You got close to home for me when you were in Bucksport. The new bridge is pretty cool, huh?

I'm diggin' the seat cover on your bike...
the narrows bridge is VERY cool.. although I do miss the 'ol bob & sway of the old one :) many good childhood memories of riding over that on the way to camping/etc!

the seat cover is one of a kind. One of my co-workers asked me if it was custom :) it certainly is... custom duct-tape :) the black kind is extra expensive ;P

It is going to be re-covered this winter while the bike sits for extended periods of time... at least then, I won't have to worry about my arse getting soaked INSTANTLY after a quick shower... ... or something :P

-Nate

Old 11-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
BumpyRoad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Hey, I too miss that old bridge, just like I miss the old "Singing Bridge" in Hancock!

Enjoyed your report especially after our Sorrento discussion.

Ride safe and Happy Thanksgiving!
BumpyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
howling60 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpyRoad
Hey, I too miss that old bridge, just like I miss the old "Singing Bridge" in Hancock!

Enjoyed your report especially after our Sorrento discussion.

Ride safe and Happy Thanksgiving!
oh man, the singing bridge was a trip, no question. back in highschool i worked @ the restaurant that was on the hancock side of the bridge. would get out often @ 1am or so in the summers... going over that bridge in the middle of the night, with the fog rolling in from the river, and the tires singing at you.. felt like it was straight out of a hitchcock movie! Loved that place :) very glad it was replaced though, I wouldn't want to be taking the bike over that grating :)

-Nate

Old 11-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
Looks like a good ride.. thanks for posting