Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #751
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatman View Post
...he didn't say he was on Comox Lake main line...he said he was West of Comox Lake....this guy (gunnerbuck) gets some serious kms done in a short time....
there's the rub, me thinks....

cheers..ride safe
yatman
Yep, I was not on Comox main...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #752
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
I am in Courtenay, waiting an extra day to ride back to the north Island for the roads to get cleared... Going to head up tomorrow afternoon hopefully... 29cm of snow so far fell today in the Tsitika pass with an almost 50 CM base... When I rode through on Friday there was only about 15CM.. Going to be an interesting ride up tomorrow...
Lots of hwy warnings up first thing this AM so I hung back for a while until I saw a travel window between snowstorms, I left Courtenay around 1pm

About 175 k into it the snow started again..

Just around the corner from this pic it really started dumping, the road surface disappeared under the white blanket and I was constantly clearing my shield to see... Not much fun but after 20 km of torture the snow let up and I could relax a bit... An eventful ride...

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 04:54 AM
Old 02-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #753
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 838
Ever thought about heading up Mt. Washington in winter?
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #754
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Wink Riding for pleasure, the challenge, fun, but not sillily

I like riding. I enjoy many aspects of it. The grace and charm of exploration, vistas, relaxation or adrenaline from speed, technical, challenging, on/off road.
I try to be ATGATT and have had some set backs and benefits...have heated gear, balaclava, good rain gear...experienced hot, cold, warm, dry, wet, miserable, cold (hypothermic) & scared.....I think I only ride those conditions if I get caught...why look for trouble?...snowmobiles have their place, aircraft, submarines......you see what I'm sayin'

enjoy but try to stack the deck in your favour...

my $0.02
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:15 PM   #755
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatman View Post
I like riding. I enjoy many aspects of it. The grace and charm of exploration, vistas, relaxation or adrenaline from speed, technical, challenging, on/off road.
I try to be ATGATT and have had some set backs and benefits...have heated gear, balaclava, good rain gear...experienced hot, cold, warm, dry, wet, miserable, cold (hypothermic) & scared.....I think I only ride those conditions if I get caught...why look for trouble?...snowmobiles have their place, aircraft, submarines......you see what I'm sayin'

enjoy but try to stack the deck in your favour...

my $0.02
Good advice...
Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #756
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 838
When the Zombies come, I'll be ready!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #757
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
just tripped onto this thread....im a dualist on a DR650 that is ready for the apocalypse. Better yet i have twisted a friend into a BMW 800 GS also , the only issue is that him and I have to get his wive to allow him to use it as it's supposed to be , maybe after a DS event or 2 with her coming along in the RV . one never knows

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #758
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCLI-Jim View Post
just tripped onto this thread....im a dualist on a DR650 that is ready for the apocalypse. Better yet i have twisted a friend into a BMW 800 GS also , the only issue is that him and I have to get his wive to allow him to use it as it's supposed to be , maybe after a DS event or 2 with her coming along in the RV . one never knows
I am always willing to give the f800 the sound thrashing it deserves. I have been on a lot of the sooke hills trails and it is definitely a challenge. Lots of fun though. Usually turn back because I am alone. Lol
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #759
canadian chris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
here comes the pineapple...

WWCN11 CWVR 071223
SEVERE WEATHER BULLETIN
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 4:23 AM PST FRIDAY 7 MARCH 2014.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR COASTAL BRITISH COLUMBIA...

RAINFALL WARNING FOR:
=NEW= WEST VANCOUVER ISLAND
=NEW= NORTH VANCOUVER ISLAND.

UP TO 100 TO 120 MM EXPECTED FOR WEST VANCOUVER ISLAND AND NORTH VANCOUVER ISLAND THROUGH TONIGHT AND SATURDAY.

better clean out those rain gutters
circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #760
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian chris View Post
WWCN11 CWVR 071223
SEVERE WEATHER BULLETIN
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 4:23 AM PST FRIDAY 7 MARCH 2014.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR COASTAL BRITISH COLUMBIA...

RAINFALL WARNING FOR:
=NEW= WEST VANCOUVER ISLAND
=NEW= NORTH VANCOUVER ISLAND.

UP TO 100 TO 120 MM EXPECTED FOR WEST VANCOUVER ISLAND AND NORTH VANCOUVER ISLAND THROUGH TONIGHT AND SATURDAY.

better clean out those rain gutters
I'm headed to Courtenay again this weekend, I'll leave a bit earlier than planned to get ahead of this... At least I don't have to worry about snow this time, come Monday the rain will have it all melted...
Old 03-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #761
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Pulled the trigger on a house on the island so I'll be officially a Van Isle rider in April. Really looking forward to exploring.

Being from Alberta I have never been asked before if I want earthquake coverage on the house. I'd be interested in any opinions you all may have about this subject

See y'all on the road and trails

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #762
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
Pulled the trigger on a house on the island so I'll be officially a Van Isle rider in April. Really looking forward to exploring.

Being from Alberta I have never been asked before if I want earthquake coverage on the house. I'd be interested in any opinions you all may have about this subject

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Welcome to the Island...

We had a few pretty good shakers on the North Island in the last couple of years.. The big one that hit the Charlottes, gave us a pretty good long lasting jolt as well, strong enough that they evacuated the low lying areas... That been said I and most of the people I know have never had earthquake insurance..

The worst quake to hit the area happened in 1700 and you can walk in some of the forests and still see the damage it caused back then... I took a forester in one area and he looked around and the first thing he said was "something catastrophic happened here"... We scoped the area out and then bored a couple of trees currently standing and the cores showed the age to be 270 yrs... This bears witness that the 1700 earthquake took out that entire stand of timber that was now laying on the ground cloaked over with moss..

As long as the plates keep slipping and giving off smaller quakes we should be ok, more of a concern is when the plates hang up for a longer period of time and then gets pressured into a big slip like in 1700...
Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #763
canadian chris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:

welcome to the Island!

Most folks seem to use Nanamo as the midpoint, with everything above it being North Island and everything below it being South Island. Lots of dual sport enthusiasts here, with local events, scrambles and rallies all summer. ADVs own Gunnerbuck is reknowned for his North Island Ride.

Quote:
one school of thought is that any event big enough to level houses will be closely followed by Federal disaster response & recovery dollars for community rebuilding, regardless of who does and does not have earthquake insurance.
circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #764
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Any one for a scooter?

Id post in the for sale but I'd get ridiculed to death for having one . if im gonna be ridiculed it might as well be locally. I have a Tomos scooter for sale ok despite the flack I will get for owning it I have a 05 Tomos scooter for sale with an Airsel upgrade 65 cc kit on itt (300 $) includes new piston cyl carb gearing. new HD shocks Broken in runs well 1600ish km on it .. between the DR, the boat, the exploder and the RV i dont have a need for this little gem..as i can figure out how to upload a pic for this heres a link to a picture I hope

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=f33f2e546a 1000$cdn if a ADVer

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #765
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Hows this Jim?