User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Sugar Pig OP
almost certain...

Oddometer: 585
Value for 1969 Honda Dream 305 ca77?

Found a nice example of a Dream in my travels today stored on a guys front porch. Doesn't have stock pipes but other than that is very complete. The fella has had it since the 80's and is the third owner. He was very honest and let me know it was not the original odometer and the bike actually has 8-9k miles. Bike has been repainted at some point. Bike hasn't been on the road for a little while but he was sure it will start with a carb rebuild and battery. Looking at it I'm inclined to believe it will start with minimal effort. He also said he would give me a parts bike to go with it. I didn't get to see the parts bike as I didn't know it was there.

The bike is not actually for sale but he said if I was interested for $1300 it would be for sale with the parts bike.

I am pretty confident in the condition of the bike and I am not terribly concerned that there are looming problems, I just didn't get that kind of vibe from this guy.

So, what say you guys is it worth the price. New pipes are about $150 bucks and the seat had some small tears. surely needs a rebuild kit and a few gaskets.

Thanks for your input!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,139
Really need pics to tell. If it has original badges and chrome panels, good tin, good tank and seat, headlight works, and runs, maybe 1k to 1500. They don't bring all that much in primo condition but are fun to ride.
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
klp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I don't know about the Dreams but I just picked up a '67 cl77 which is sort of its Scrambler brother so I have been trying to figure out what it is worth. One missing the tank badges and painted over just sold for 2100 on fleebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

305 forum could probably tell you the value but they get a little pissy when you show up asking about value with a low post count. Maybe browse around there a bit.

http://www.honda305.com/forum/index.htm

I bet you could do better than 1300 if you flip it.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
I would need to see some pics to say what I thought it was worth. Besides the exhaust, are there anymore parts missing?

I got one a couple of years ago that had been sitting beside a house for a few years and was in pretty ruff shape. i was able to get it running in a few hours. I sent the carb off to one of the honda305 forum members (loud mouse) and i got it back looking and working like new for $75 with new parts and shipping.

I sold it to buy another bike. It is the only bike that I regret selling. I feel a little sick every time the guy I sold it to stops by the house on it.

i know i'm not really answering your question, but I think their really fun bikes.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Sugar Pig OP
almost certain...

I don't think I would want to flip it. Seems like some people are ASKING $5000 in mint shape.

It really seems totally complete. I think I will go back and take a closer look at any plastics and the frame with a flashlight.

Other than a carb rebuild, correct pipes, and possibly some fresh tires it could be a real treat. I would probably just clean it up and keep it a 'rider'. I don't have much use for garage queens and my shop is to dusty to keep anything in pristine condition.

The input is appreciated and more is welcome. I've about talked myself into going back and having a hard look and the primary and parts bike after watching YouTube videos for a couple hours.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

I'd love to see some pics.

if it's just going to be a runner, then the pipes aren't much of an issue.

Loud mouse over at the Honda305 forum is the man, near as I can tell. He comes off as being a bit (actually a lot) gruff, but after dealing with him directly, and talking to him a few times, he's seems like a really smart, nice old guy.

I also found the bike to be easy to work on, after I got over my fear of digging into it.

Another nice surprise was how sweet it sounded. Maybe it was the pipes I had on it (might have been sportster mufflers) but it sounded great.

Loved that bike.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
1965 300 Dream

I bought it back in 1979, as the "typical" basket case!! Everything was dissassembled, including the steering head, swing arm, and engine!!!! I spent 2 years restoring it........

Back then, all parts were still available from any Honda dealer. The only thing I had trouble finding were rear signal light lenses(NLA)

I completely repainted the stripped frame and forks; replaced the exhaust, Seat, and overhauled the engine, all with OEM parts!!!!

I enjoyed riding it through the 1980s......cause most riders I met back then, didn't know what it was......I think the big square headlight caught their attention......

The last ride was back in 1989......Tried to sell it over the next couple years, no interest!!!!!

I decided to decommision it and put it in storage!

In 2008, a friend of my sons found out I had this bike, and expressed serious interest. I sold him the 65 model, a 66 parts bike, and about $500 worth of NOS parts for $800.00

Hope that helps you....It's slightly depressing to me....but I did have fun with it over the years!!!!

Brian
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
Cool bikes. Worth fixing if you like them

They aren't worth what the Superhawk or Scramblers will bring. The market just isn't there for them YET!!!

The little brother to yours can be seen here. I brought it back to life from the dumpster. Some folks think they are ugly. Just another reason that I saved this one from becoming a manhole cover.

http://www.2wheelconnection.com/phot...er_flash4.html
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Sugar Pig OP
almost certain...

I made the guy an offer of $800 only because the bike was so complete. He never called back and I just can't justify spending more than that. It seems like they can be a little hard to sell sometimes.

Oh well, back to shopping.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Let him chew on that for awhile. It may take some time for it to sink in.

Shop on!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Sugar Pig OP
almost certain...

[IMG]Dream side[/IMG]
[IMG]Dream rear[/IMG]
[IMG]Dream parts bike[/IMG]
Old 11-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Having seen the pictures, and based on your description, I'd say $800 was a very fair price. Mine was in a little worse shape, but then I only paid $300 for it. hopefully you'll keep looking. it is a fun bike.

Sorry you had such an unpleasant experience over at the 305forum. I know your not the first person to feel that way. My experience was great, esp. with Loud Mouse. I guess you never can tell.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #13
Sugar Pig OP
almost certain...

Thanks Ivan, I felt like it was fair. Part of the reason I was asking for input was the fella selling it is not very well off and I didn't want to kick a man while he was down. Judging by the flea market on 305 I think $800 is fair. Loudmouse didn't bother me to much, I just would have appreciated his input is all.

Oh well, the search continues. I found a nice CB550 on craiglist about an hour after he posted. Can't even get the guy to call me back after he said he would. Ya, never know. I don't let it bother me. When the right one comes along it will be fun.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #14
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Judging by your sig line, your not hurtin' for motorcycles! Good luck, and let us know what you get. (as if I need to say that )
Old 11-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #15
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Pig
[IMG]Dream side[/IMG]
[IMG]Dream rear[/IMG]
[IMG]Dream parts bike[/IMG]
$1300? Like white on rice. That thing looks to need a hose and a sponge to make it look new.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote