User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Beemerguru OP
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 964
G/S front wheel in a GS front end

Just had a brain fart and wondered if anyone has tried this before? Building a couple more R80G/S and was noodling about a different way to upgrade the front end.

I know the arguments about a tube vs tubeless etc, but this keeps it consistent with tubes on both ends.

Was thinking about making a reducer so the 17mm G/S axle would fit the GS holes and doing the same with the brake caliper setup so they would match.

I have 5 G/S front wheels and a couple GS front ends. So I get a tube 21" front wheel with the heavier GS tube setup for the cost of a couple reducers.

OK....go
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer

Oddometer: 199
Can be done but it's not easy

I upgraded my G/S front to GS forks and tripples. Then wondered about the wheel duh!
I wanted to keep the big diameter axle from the GS............so I
Turned out the inner part of the hub on a lathe ( just about where the bolts go to hold the brake carrier.
Then made up 2 bearing carrier disks in aluminium that bolted on each side of the wheel, using the brake disk bolts.
I should probably upload a few pictures now, but I don't have any.
Bend my arm and I will.
espressodrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Beemerguru OP
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Mild bent sent...bigger one coming if response lacking
Old 11-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
It seems to me that if you are going to go to the trouble of getting a G/S wheel to fit that it would be just as easy to get something like a Talon hub and modern rim to fit... Most likely it would be cheaper and stronger to boot.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Rucksta
SS Blowhard

Oddometer: 2,658
Squish

After going to all the trouble to fit the std G/S wheel to my USD forks all for the sake of having it look like a BMW I wondered the same thing, wouldn't it be easier, cheaper, stronger & lighter to go Talon / Excel.

My 40 spoke hub and akront rim is still nice and round.
Mates with the Talon/Excel combo are riding various polygons that could best be described as anything but a circle after having travelled less than 1% the distance my old 40 spoke wheel has done.

I thought the Talon/Excell combo would be heaps lighter and recently had the chance to compare a Talon/Excel with heavy duty stainless spokes to my similar spec BMW hub. The BMW was heavier by not much, probably about the weight of 6 spokes.

If you had to buy a new G/S front wheel complete then the Talon/Excel would certainly be cheaper
Old 11-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Beemerguru OP
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Actually my master machinist just came up with another idea...

Mill a new axle and a reducing collar for the other fork lower. That means the standard G/S wheel can be used with the standard GS forks.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguru
Actually my master machinist just came up with another idea...

Mill a new axle and a reducing collar for the other fork lower. That means the standard G/S wheel can be used with the standard GS forks.
That's what I'd do, though I'd turn the axle rather than mill it.
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer

Bigger diameter axle is much better

I would want to keep the big diameter axle if I could. I found that if you upgrade the front brake the forks want to twist, even with a good fork brace. A big axle prevents twist where it starts. All newer bikes have huge axles.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
Beemerguru OP
Beemerguru...G/S guy

I'm waiting for Expressodrinker to find his specs for adapting the G/S wheel for the larger axle (that's a hint)

Adding a Harrison 6 piston caliper so yes, more forces at work. Between the beefier triple, tubes, and brace, I know it will be a step up from stock but not close to the results from swapping out for a regular dirt bike front end.

Already have extra wheels so a new axle and collar make the best sense economically...compromise

Beemerguru screwed with this post 11-17-2010 at 07:47 AM
Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
airheadpilot
Le Poulet du Désert

Oddometer: 286
Or, with a little patience on eBay, you can pick up a complete front end from a late-model Japanese dirt bike (USD forks, billet triple clamps, wheel, caliper, axle, etc.) for less than $300, plus the cost to have the forks shortened and set-up properly and have your master machinist press the BMW steering stem into the dirt bike triples. You can then sell that R100GS front end and a couple of those G/S wheels and still come out with money in your pocket. Go ahead, ask me how I know...

adh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguru
I'm waiting for Expressodrinker to find his specs for adapting the G/S wheel for the larger axle (that's a hint)

Adding a Harrison 6 piston caliper so yes, more forces at work. Between the beefier triple, tubes, and brace, I know it will be a step up from stock but not close to the results from swapping out for a regular dirt bike front end.

Already have extra wheels so a new axle and collar make the best sense economically...compromise
Old 11-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,657
Greg, I think the big GS axle makes a huge difference over the thin G/S axle.

I'm sure this isn't the route you want to go, but a GS hub, relaced to a Akront rim, or in my case an Excell rim. Had Woody's lace up the rim, used larger butted spokes at the hub and then a standard threaded spoke at the rim. Really nice setup.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=546963&page=5

BTW- that harrison is nice, I ended up going w/ a larger MC (14mm I believe) than the stock 12mm G/S, better lever feel.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #12
Beemerguru OP
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Yeah..I've already been down this road with this bike...I just keep looking at the stack of G/S wheels and wonder how to keep both ends the same..tubes.

PS: this thing is a blast to ride !!!!

My metal guy says the billet stock will be as strong or stronger than the GS axle since it won't be hollow.

This won't be a "Copper Canyon" bike but for the street and dirt roads..should be fine.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #13
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,657
I'm running tubes both front and rear. I hated the idea of using the GS rim (tubeless) w/ the tube rear. Yeah could have put a tube in the front GS rim, but two different type rims to me is a botch job.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:59 AM   #14
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer

Best photos I have

Sorry, but I didn't keep a record of what I was doing as it progressed. Hope this makes it clear. If you need one, I could do some kind of a sketch of what it looks like in cross section.
The bike is still a bit dirty after the last mud ride
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #15
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer

More

Another
Attached Images