Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #16
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall
Basically, my recomendation is to not worry about the valve issues that people go on about. You have purchased an old vehicle that will need at least a little work.

get on with riding the heck out of it. That is what they were built for.
I feel the same way about the '74 model year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater
Actually found two ... I won't even tell you how much I paid for both of them. The other *might* be of interest to you ... '74 R90.
Ahem!

(Got a tac, seat, and Krauser rack (and/or bags) you want to get rid of?)

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenben
Because the issue is inconsistent across the year range; I have to wonder if BMW was using more than one vendor for valve components during the period.
I've noted that the large valve models (RS etc..) are more likely to have exhaust valve issues, while low compression models (G/S etc...) generally do not. Even with exhaust valve issues, 100K with only minor interventions is still a reasonable expectation.

These are old bikes. Probably a lot of other variables to consider; Owner maintenance intervals, driving style, fuel selection, lubricant choice, etc...

I'd echo the advice not to worry about it too much.
I think BMW uses more than one vendor when they can for a variety of reasons. I think the issue is mostly due to metallurgy that about any vendor could suffer. I have seen many a different brand suffer the same problem. Here in the states, the most effected models are low compression. I tend to think that the problem is independent of CR but I have seen more issues with lower compression models than higher compression models myself. Typically speaking, higher compression lowers exhaust temps. Diesel engines are a perfect example of that phenomenon. That's my thinking anyway.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote