Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #91
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Yeah. Last night when I got to the part where I needed to connect the autoswitch to the krista harness I started scratching my head. I thought that the autoswitch would be a direct replacement for the switch in the krista kit. I have put in an email to clearwater for clarification.

-k
Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #92
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Here's the answer from Clearwater.

(great speedy support, and one more good reason to spend the extra $$ on this product).

Quote:
The easiest way to setup your lights with the Autoswitch is to:

1. Connect the two red wires that would go to the switch together (see attached wiring diagram) [ed. I can provide the PDF if needed]
2. Connect the "turn on wire" to the switched output of your Autoswitch. No extra relay is necessary as this wire connects to a relay inside the controller box, with a max current draw of 80mA (.08A).
3. It sounds like you are using a custom fuse box. If so, you can connect power (the wires that go from the box to the battery in the diagram) to the fuse box. Proper fuse size for Krista: 10A

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, I'd be delighted to answer them.

Best Wishes,
Drew
Old 01-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #93
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
No Relay: Much more elegant!

This is a more elegant solution, to be sure. The Autoswitch instruction sheet shows it being used to operate a relay and I just followed along. I wish I'd thought to email the Clearwater guys first! Oh well - a future opportunity to simplify my wiring.

Thanks!
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #94
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Just called into aerostich and it sounds like they are still waiting from the manufacture to get new units - another 2-4 weeks. Ugh. Sounds like the manufacture is making a slightly updated unit that aerostich is waiting for. Not sure what all is being updated....perhaps they can chirp in here and let us know.

Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later otherwise I might have to go with another product.
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #95
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
I just tried to order mine from Aerostich and got an email back from them saying...

"Thank you for your recent order.

The PDM 60 is on back order at this time. Right now we do not have an ETA. They are being manufactured but we have not heard from them as to when they should arrive here. As soon as they are in stock, we will ship your order out to you.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
"

So, after getting Steve's contact info from John Smallberries (Thanks!), I emailed him to ask what was up and he replied (VERY QUICKLY... Thanks Steve!)...

"We made some significant revisions (improvements) to the product, which backed up deliveries a bit. We are hoping to ship the first week of April.

For the immediate future you need to purchase through Aero. We will be happy to support the product direct after the sale.

Thank you for your interest in our product. I will try to get a picture of the revised part so you can see what we did to it."

While I'm bummed I won't be getting my PDM60 this week, I'm glad Rowe Electronics will be shipping the new units the first week of April and and excited about the improvements.
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #96
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Here's the description and photo from Steve of the new, improved PDM60...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pointing out some of the changes you will notice that we eliminated the
connector on the body of the device and moved to a short pigtail with an
indexed connector. This makes mounting easier and gives the user much more
flexibility for the install. The pins are simple to remove so that the user
can delete wire positions as needed easily.

Added a dedicated connector for a battery tender/charger hook up. This is
NOT a high amperage connection. It is intended for low load maintenance
charging only.

Removed the heavy ground from the device. A ground buss is supplied with the
device to go direct to the battery. It has a ring terminal and you can stack
as many grounds on it as you wish. We recommend that you instead ground your
devices to the factory ground points found on all motorcycles. These are
easily identified by many brown wires leading to a screw or hex head bolt on
the frame of the motorcycle.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #97
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
[While I'm bummed I won't be getting my PDM60 this week, I'm glad Rowe Electronics will be shipping the new units the first week of April and and excited about the improvements.[/QUOTE] Narisco Lopez

Ha, ha, ha, . . .bwa,ha,ha,ha ....First Week of April??? Good F&&^%^g luck! I ordered mine last November, told then that is was on backorder and wouldn't be available until mid February, oh wait - mid March . . . oops - mid April, so here we are now in mid May and still "no ETA"!!!! Six months of excuses!

Both the manufacturer and the distributor dropped the ball and failed miserably in my view. Aerostich didn't even put up the fact they were out of stock on their website until well into this year! If I delivered a project at work like this, my ass would be fired. So I'm firing them!

I've abandoned hoping to use this product and gone back to using a reliable old fuse block that won't need the whole thing to be replaced if one part fails anyway. Fix the problem, put in another fuse (that you can find anywhere) and you're on your way. Sometimes technology just gets in the way. My advice (in the words of Tony Soprano) "forget about it!"

V-Stormer screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 08:37 PM
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #98
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Too bad

Something definitely sounds fishy here with all of these delays.

I can report that mine is running fine after five months of riding.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #99
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Big bummer. Glad I saw this thread though. Was going to wait but if the ETA is Never at this rate I will have to spend my cash some place else. Now back to the drawing board to sort out what will work for me.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #100
SmileyO
Sorta n00b

Oddometer: 24
Still on Backorder!?!?!!?!?

I saw this thread in early January when I needed some kind of power distribution for extra lights and gps and phone. March 5, 2011 (Saturday), chose the Aerostich PDM because I liked the idea of solid state, and the fact that I wouldn't have to buy fuses should one short. Got online, saw it was available, and ordered it...man was I excited, a new project!

March 7th (Monday) I was told it was it was backordered but would be shipping in 3-4 weeks. No big deal, it was rainy and cold, not really in the mood to work outside...man, I was STILL excited, and could wait.

May 11th, wrote to aerostich to find out what the scoop was since I didn't have the PDM yet, they said it was still on backorder, but expecting it soon...man, I was NOT so excited, but I guess I could wait.

May 12th, wrote back to aerostich to find out what "soon" meant in calendar days, and said I was starting to get frustrated with the continual delays. I was told aerostich is expecting them "in the next two weeks", and the "the manufacture had a delay in one of the parts that were included in the manufacturing process", along with an apology...man, now I was getting annoyed...and definitely losing my patience.

June 1st (just under 3 weeks later), I write again to aerostich, and am told "The PDM 60 is still on back order", and how it was frustrating to them and their customers not to have an accurate ETA from the manufacture...man, now I am f***ing pissed.

TODAY, June 1st, night, I write to tell them to refund my $ including any shipping and tax.

Now to aerostich rep's credit, she was cordial in the email, but vague on time frame.

So to make a long story short (too late), and to borrow my Texan friend's colloquialisms, you have a better chance of a 3 legged horse winning the Kentucky derby than you do getting the PDM 60.

So it's back to square 1 to find a comparable alternative. (3 months waiting and all I got was this crummy tshirt...oh wait, I didn't even get a tshirt!)
SmileyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #101
sweatmark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
PDM-60 wait list

Frustrating to wait, but well worth it, IMHO.

This PDM-60 thing (especially in its new configuration) is exactly what I need for gizmo circuit upgrades.

I'm moving trusty old Centech to tankbag for Autocom and assorted audio gear.
sweatmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #102
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

5+15=20. Not!

Update on my PDM60
I learned that you can't pair a 5 amp output with a 15 amp output to get 20 amps. When I installed my PDM60 last Christmas, I also added a Stebel horn. It worked when I tested it, so all was good. Last week while riding, I saw some deer standing by the roadside. Motorcycles don't like deer, so I laid on the Stebel to scare them away. It worked, but the horn stopped after a few seconds. Later, I realized that I had it wired to one of the PDM60 5 amp outputs. I had read that the Stebel would work fine on 15. As a quick on-the-fly fix, I jumpered a wire between the 5 and 15 amp outputs, expecting to get 20 amps. I hit the horn and it did go a bit longer, but still died. Watching the PDM, the 5 amp circuit led went red, and then the 15. I believe the Stebel actually draws between 15 and 20 amps. I wired in a direct 20 amp fuse to the battery and it will now blow continuously (wear earplugs!)

I believe the PDM did it's job, but my expectation was wrong. When I wired two together, the natural current draw (say it is 16 amps) must split evenly between the PDM outputs: 8 each. Thus trips the 5 amp circuit. The full 16 amp draw then goes to the 15 amp circuit and it blows next.

So - you can't add circuits together unless the split math works. I think that two 15 amps would run a 20 amp load.

It did demonstrate what I like about the PDM. When the horn circuit overloaded, it reset after the next key cycle. So I was able to use the horn again in short bursts afterward. It is nice not to have to monkey with fuse replacements.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #103
SmileyO
Sorta n00b

Oddometer: 24
supposedly being sold

Well, the PDM60 v2 is supposedly on site now. I have actually been watching this to see if I wanted to buy it for the second time. But now it's up to $149.00. How in the bejeez did this thing take a year to get out of backorder? I'm a little skeptical about how well this may work if it had this long of a teething issue. Anyone have any good or bad real life info about it?
SmileyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #104
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 900
Mine has been installed and working since January, no issues.

Nesbocaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #105
beemerbum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
PDM 60, V1 and V2

Hello all, been following the thread for awhile, agree totally with comments on supply and demand, but not with all the functionality comments.

I got an early (pre-release) Version 1 kit in the fall of 2010 and installed it on our 1998 R1100R, which is running two sets of 55W H3 light kits, along with GPS, outlerts, etc. So far it has worked perfectly and if anything does trip, it resets after the ignition is turned off and then back on again, unless the 'fault' is continued. The 180 second timeout feature is appreciated - use these circuits for GPS and one set of auxiliary lights. The externally switched circuit is useful for the other set of auxiliary lights and a workaround to the 'always live' aspect can be wired in, as noted in other comments posted here.

I finally (waited since April) have the new V2 kit - some subtle improvements, including better modularity for disconnecting it and moving it out of the way in tight spots, so this one is going on the second F800GS in replacing a Centech AP-1. It will be mounted on tope of the airbox for now - being able to disconnect the main harness and extension harness sections makes moving it out of the way when servicing the air filter really easy.

While the PDM is not perfect in every sense, just eliminating the need for relays, etc., is a big benefit and as both auxiliary light kits on the 800 are LED, draw is low. I have other solid state power distribution systems in use as well, but for size, capacity and services, the PDM is a good deal. Both are being written up for an evaluation.

Cheers, Bruce

beemerbum screwed with this post 11-11-2011 at 08:58 AM Reason: minor changes
beemerbum is offline   Reply With Quote