Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #121
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,220
So, talk about FAST shipping... my new PDM-60 came today...

Will be mounting it on my 2009 KTM 990 Adventure over the weekend. Will report back on the results.

BTW... that built-in connector for a battery tender is very handy!
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #122
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 334
This looks to be perfect for an upcoming install of heated grips, switched GPS, switched charged socket and some LED lights. For the life of me I can not find this item on Aerosticches website and searching for PDM 60 and several other terms returns nothing. Anyone have a link as I am sick of going through their horribly designed website?

K.B.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #123
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,747
Eh? Took 30 seconds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
This looks to be perfect for an upcoming install of heated grips, switched GPS, switched charged socket and some LED lights. For the life of me I can not find this item on Aerosticches website and searching for PDM 60 and several other terms returns nothing. Anyone have a link as I am sick of going through their horribly designed website?

http://www.aerostich.com/power-distr...module-v2.html

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #124
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Thanks, Dallara! I did a search multiple ways, PDM 60, Aerodist, Aerodist PDM 60...

K.B.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #125
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,747
Cool2 Hmmmmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
Thanks, Dallara! I did a search multiple ways, PDM 60, Aerodist, Aerodist PDM 60...

I typed "PDM60" into their search box and *BINGO*, came right up... Actually with multiple listings for "PDM60", PDM60 15", "PDM-60 15 V2", etc., etc.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #126
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,648
Aerostich Power Distribution Module

As a soon-to-be R1200GS owner, I'm looking at options to port out power independent of the CanBus. I'm familiar with the Centech, Blue Seas, and Fuzeblock (sp?) fuse panels, and could make any of those work.

BUT, I was wondering if there was anyone who could share their experience with the solid state device that Aerostich sells:

It looks like a clever device, small, weatherproof, adjustable. I was wondering if six circuits were enough. I can see 1)rewiring the accessory outlet for heated gear, 2 & 3) Lighting circuits 4) tankbag, 5) GPS, leaving only one for other uses. So is it enough? Is 60A total enough, with max 15A/circuit?

If you've got one installed, please share your experience and pics. If you can tell me why it might be dumb to spend a hundred and a half for one, I'm for that info too.

Thx!
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #127
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,494
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638076

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #128
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
As a soon-to-be R1200GS owner, I'm looking at options to port out power independent of the CanBus. I'm familiar with the Centech, Blue Seas, and Fuzeblock (sp?) fuse panels, and could make any of those work.

BUT, I was wondering if there was anyone who could share their experience with the solid state device that Aerostich sells:

It looks like a clever device, small, weatherproof, adjustable. I was wondering if six circuits were enough. I can see 1)rewiring the accessory outlet for heated gear, 2 & 3) Lighting circuits 4) tankbag, 5) GPS, leaving only one for other uses. So is it enough? Is 60A total enough, with max 15A/circuit?

If you've got one installed, please share your experience and pics. If you can tell me why it might be dumb to spend a hundred and a half for one, I'm for that info too.

Thx!

A lot of KTM guys have opted for the Fuzeblock, but it's only a (relatively) few bucks cheaper and is relay-based. I opted for the PDM-60 because it's solid state and provides enough decently-rated (amperage-wise) for the accessories I plan on putting on my KTM 990 Adventure. It's REALLY small, so easy to mount in even tight locations, and easy to wire up. Yeah, you can make your own, but I'm too lazy for that.

Oh... I haven't mounted mine yet. I'm waiting for my new Euro headlight assy. and HID kit. Once I do, I'll post a mini-review and some additional photos here.

Might wanna PM JohnSmallBerries (OP)... he loves his and will fill you in.
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #129
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,648
Thanks for moving my post and pointing me in the right direction. I searched...in the wrong forum.

And on that note, I celebrate...

MY 1700TH POST!
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #130
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post

Thx!
I've had mine going on 15 months and am generally happy - it works as advertised. My installation pics are in this thread. I like that it can "blow a fuse", but then reset itself when the overload is fixed without dealing with physical fuses. I like the new version with the battery tender integrated.

My main complaint: a Stebel horn needs a 20 amp circuit and the PDM is limited to 15 amps. You can bundle two 15 amp circuits together, but that isn't the most efficient solution.

Buy one and post your pics of your installation. My advice on the installation:
- plan it out with a schematic
- pull off the tank and panels to enable a clean routing
- use the black cloth tape to make your new wiring blend in with the BMW wiring
- don't rely on crimp connectors (use Posi-Taps or crimp&solder)
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #131
Hound Dawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thumb PDM60 on XR659L

[/IMG]Just got done installing my PDM60 on my '07 XR650L. Very nice set up. I mounted it inside the airbox with Aerostich 3M Hook and Loop tape and ran the wires out throught the top. The connections for new circuits all join up with posi-lock connectors under the existing wiring bundle under the seat above the airbox. Added three 1 inch UNI airbox filtered vents to account for some of the airflow lost in the airbox inlet. I'll try to post my pics. New to the site. Thanks Mr. Smallberries for all the info on this thread. Aerostich is great.

[/IMG]

Hound Dawg screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 02:57 PM Reason: Adding Pictures
Hound Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #132
Hound Dawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
XR650L Pictures

Hound Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #133
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
I'm coming up on one full year of riding with my PDM60 - the original version. It has worked as advertised and I'm quite happy overall. My only complaint is that the largest single circuit is 15 amps and a Stebel horn (a very common farkle) really, truly needs a 20 amp feed. As a result, I need a separate direct battery connection for my Stebel and it clutters up my wiring. I now have five separate direct battery connects and would prefer fewer:
- main BMW bike power
- PDM60 main feed
- Stebel direct 20-amp fused line
- battery tender/heated gear
- Clearwater battery state-of-charge monitor

So: Does the new unit allow for a 20-amp circuit???
I have one of these on my R1150R. The way I did the Stebel horn was with an external fused relay. However, my PDM60 has the SAE flat 2-wire pigtail for the battery charger and I put my heated clothing on the unswitched circuit because there is no danger of running the battery down with this circuit unless you sit on the bike with the motor off and the heated suit running. Not likely. I permanently wired the switch lead so the heated clothing circuit was always on. I haven't found the 180 second delay feature to be too helpful, but it doesn't hurt anything. I have been adding electronic crap to motorcycles for 40 years and this is the cleanest thing I have ever come across. I am a fan.

beemerphile screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 03:20 PM
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #134
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
nice installs

HoundDawg and beemerphile have some nice installs here. I like the new version, but my old one is working fine after 2+ years.

HoundDawg will have to let us know if the adhesive on the hook/loop tape lives through a full year of weather.

Thanks for the pics
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #135
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
HoundDawg and beemerphile have some nice installs here. I like the new version, but my old one is working fine after 2+ years.

HoundDawg will have to let us know if the adhesive on the hook/loop tape lives through a full year of weather.

Thanks for the pics
Mine is tucked a bit under the gas tank so I don't have to look at the LED's while driving but I can peer around and check everything out if necessary.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote